The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 07:51:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: linux vs. mac vs. pc - the cache parody :roflmao:  (Read 4041 times)
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2009, 06:38:23 PM »

This is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_kGL3M5Cg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-22EpQOm8c&feature=fvw

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »

ROFLMAO

Very nice jam!  It's the brown screen of death.  Thanks Smiley

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »

Actually, it's known as the spinning pinwheel of death. You really don't see it much since about 10.4, but it can still be brought about. I think it's even more frustrating than the BSOD, because at least with the BSOD you KNOW the machine is fubar. With the SPOD it almost looks like the machine is touchable. Horrible.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:47:33 PM »

I find it annoying how the "mac's dont crash" line is believed so easily.

bullshit.
My wife crashes hers every day. Yes it may be photoshop's fault, but WTF else are you supposed to do on a mac, use the goddam calculator and nothing more? hhh

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:54:26 PM »

but WTF else are you supposed to do on a mac

Dark Castle  Grin

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 12:01:21 AM »

Macs don't crash, they sometimes just want to make sure they make the right decision for you. Unfortunately sometimes Mac will find the task so hard it will take some time and most of the people confuse this with crashing which doesn't not happen with Mac, at all. Ask my Rescuetime.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 12:16:48 AM »

Macs don't crash, they sometimes just want to make sure they make the right decision for you. Unfortunately sometimes Mac will find the task so hard it will take some time and most of the people confuse this with crashing which doesn't not happen with Mac, at all. Ask my Rescuetime.

One time perk and I witnessed a Mac crash so hard there was nothing but the Mac-O-Death and silence.  It was a special-needs picture of a smiling Mac in the middle with nothing but a black screen around it.) Yes, it was as crashed as Courtney Love driving a golf cart - sober.

The best part, and I hope perk can remember (ACT late night at work), was that since it crashed so hard the little Mac picture in the middle had a few misplaced pixels.  Truly, the little Mac had fangs.  We waited a while before pulling the plug.  But even after we did, the fanged little Mac faded slowly as if to say "fuck you."

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 05:37:43 AM »

One time perk and I witnessed a Mac crash so hard there was nothing but the Mac-O-Death and silence.  It was a special-needs picture of a smiling Mac in the middle with nothing but a black screen around it.) Yes, it was as crashed as Courtney Love driving a golf cart - sober.

The best part, and I hope perk can remember (ACT late night at work), was that since it crashed so hard the little Mac picture in the middle had a few misplaced pixels.  Truly, the little Mac had fangs.  We waited a while before pulling the plug.  But even after we did, the fanged little Mac faded slowly as if to say "fuck you."
Yeah, told you not to disturb while somebody is working...

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 09:46:36 AM »

Yeah, told you not to disturb while somebody is working...

ROFLMAO

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 11:45:29 AM »

but WTF else are you supposed to do on a mac

Dark Castle  Grin

You know I have a complete emulator and that running on my MacPro, don't you...? Both versions in fact. ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS. Here , I just started it up:

@ Macs crashing: very, very rare anymore. With the BSD base, it's still entirely possible that an app can crash, and can sometimes take a lot of the box with it - but if you give the OS a little time to sort things out it most often can. A common problem is if people have an app in full-screen, then they get the pinwheel, they can't do anything at all ... but with all my monitors, there's always some desktop somewhere I can touch, which takes the top app out of focus and brings the Finder back up ... at which point you can select Force Quit from the system menu on the offending app and your good to go.

All that said, it is still much more possible than I'd like for folks to write leaky apps, and Flash running in Safari is often a major culprit. So even though the box may not crash, RAM gets all chewed up and often you can even get it all back when quitting the app, which is amazing on a *nix system to me, although I've seen it on my RH boxes before as well.

The net-net is that I reboot my Mac pretty much only after an update, or maybe every few weeks just on general principal. It runs 24 hours a day and I have a boatload of things running all the time. In terms of raw stability, it is far and away the best system I've ever run, even over my best RH development system - although in fairness, I think it was either Gnome or KDE that was dicking with me more than the OS itself on that box.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 02:43:47 PM »

You know I have a complete emulator and that running on my MacPro, don't you...? Both versions in fact. ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS. Here , I just started it up:

Arrrg I wanna play!  Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Dark Castle was the first PC video game (Mac - personal computer) that used actual sampled sounds during game play.  Regardless, I heard the sounds in my mind as soon as I saw that pic Smiley  But I am crazy so it's probably just the fish.

BTW - An endless loop is also "not" a crash Wink  Definitions aside, if it stops working indefinitely, it's a crash in crash's clothing, but in a crashy-crash sort of way - with a side of crash Grin

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »

Ah yes, but the question is, is the endless loop within the protected sphere of an apps space and therefore killable, or does it take out the machine? IME, something like that in the Doz environment just killed the whole box... in the Mac environment, just like any *nix distro, you can kill the app and the system continues. If you can SSH into the box you can treat it just like a normal old *nix distro and do all that lovely stuff under the hood as well.

Really, not fanboing here. As a system, it's really f'ing stable.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 02:59:29 PM »

Ah yes, but the question is, is the endless loop within the protected sphere of an apps space and therefore killable, or does it take out the machine?

Of course.  If a mere process can be killed and all else is happily protected in separate memory it's a no-brainer.  By endless loop I mean the "frozen" screen that will eternally never budge until reboot, even if it's reporting "busy" to external monitoring.  AVG had a nasty update a while ago that "took down" servers and PCs throughout the world.  None of them "crashed."  However, this auto-update rendered hapless machines effectively useless since processing was pegged at 100% - regardless of RAM and horsepower.

They all "crashed," but were actually just massively overtasked.  But especially to the average user, there effectively is no difference 

But yes I understand today's Mac stability is quite impressive.  I have heard a few complaints about the entry-level laptop but nothing to write home about.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »

Yea I am of course using crash in angeneral sense. Jenny manages to lock up PS or InDesign at least 3 times a week, unrecoverably, to have to hold down the power button.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »

In some ways I'd rather have a blue screen o death and a reboot than: "no no no... I'm fine.... just wait a little longer..... little longer....................... wait for it............................... please stand by............................................................. .............."  Months go by and many lives were lost Sarcasm  Yet by some definitions the computer never "crashed"  Roll Eyes  Here's to statistics, Truth*, and plausible deniability  Devilish

* This statement is false, along with the text it's referencing.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript