The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:40:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux virtual machine  (Read 7397 times)
DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »

Hey all, newbie question time! Bare in mind that I dont really know what I'm talking about while reading this post  Wink

I'm considering installing a virtual machine to run a LAMP install on my Windows box, or even better just the Apache and PHP parts, sharing the Mysql database that already resides under Windows. The virtual machine will effectively only ever run as a server.

Having no experience of this kind of thing, I'm curious if this is possible - how are IP addresses split between host and virtual machine for example. The functionality I'd like to achieve is to have the virtual machine server running away in the background and to continue to use my Windows environment predominantly, calling scripts on the virtual machine from the host browser for example. Is this how it works?  Huh? Totally clueless here.

DM
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »

Parallels and VMWare can both do it, it's pretty painless.

The networking is either bridged or shared, also configurable - meaning that your virtual box has it's own address (bridged) or you are using the host boxes' address (shared) - also painless.

Handy tip: back up your virtual when you have it just the way you like it. Then, if you f&*$ it up in the future, you copy your backed-up volume and presto! Back to normal.

Virtuals rock. I use a RedHat and a Windows virtual on my Mac and they're hot.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »

Hey DM, here's a place where you can get started with no pain at all.
http://bagside.com/bagvapp/index.html

After getting your feet wet here you'll have a better idea of what you
want.

I have 5 virtuals going right now.  Haven't decided which one will be
*the* one yet, but it's fun.

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:14:34 AM »

Cheers all, getting somewhere now Smiley

Hey DM, here's a place where you can get started with no pain at all.
http://bagside.com/bagvapp/index.html

Brilliant link thanks Dink - just what I needed to get started.

An easy way to *AMP5 that I took recently has been
to install WAMP5 if your stuck with windows and
want to do  *AMP development...

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Thats what I've been using until now jammaster, i've found it really effective and its only recently discovered things I can't do without a Linux environment I have complete control over - in this instance compiling extensions that don't have working Windows dll's. I've never bothered duel booting or setting up a LAMP server on my network, and really don't fancy the productivity drop I'd get if I ditched Windows completely (not to mention missing regular gaming!) - virtualisation seems to be a happy medium for now Smiley

DM
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 12:32:29 PM »

The only area I can see where you might have a problem, DM, is your database situation.

I used almost all of the windoxen versions of AMP, and none of them was complete for the reasons you mentioned and a few more.  Apache2Triad came the closest, xAmp was second, Wamp third, etc.

For the database stuff, I just did a big dump (like a backup in sql form), compressed it, copied it to my flash drive then opened my virtual, in this case it was ubuntu7.10  server, copied and decompressed, then ran the sql.  Works.

Now I work with windoxy running and at least one ver of linux going in the virtual.  I have way too many apps that only run in the win format to just shit-can the whole mess, and reports from smarter folk than I say that win doesn't run as well as a guest of linux as linux runs as a guest of win. 

Although I gotta say that the ubuntu standard gui setup is much more pleasant than any win system since 3.1.  Doesn't crash and is faster than prune juice thru Perk on Fri evening.

[quote Nutballs]
[/quote]
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »

@@dink

Lol.  How much ram are you working with and what
speed machine?    and how much ram dedicated
towards rebuntu clutsy fibbon virtual?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:46:43 PM by jammaster82 » Logged

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »

I have 2 gigs on an AMC board.  Think the speed is 1.87 gigs.  Might be wrong there, tho.

I have a full gig set aside for the virtual(s).  Way overkill, but it's a just-in-case deal.

"clutsy fibbon"  Oh shit.  A new one.  Where's the download link.  Quick get me a
straight line to the rar.   

ROFLMAO  I get a kick outa some of the geeks that run all
over themselves to be the first to blog about the latest issue of the glamour os.

[quote Nutballs]
[/quote]
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »

Am curious, perk can you do a virtual mac inside of ur mac?

if so can i then run it and have a mac on my windows?

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 04:42:57 PM »

Parallels HINTS that they have successfully gotten OS-X running in a virtual... but there's nothing out yet. An interesting project tho, would be to grab the hackintosh os-x loader and put it in a virtual... hmmm...

try this - I'll bet you can do it...
http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required/

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 04:50:24 PM »

Just looked at that blog post again and the comments are strong - there's a guy who's got OS-X running on his Toshiba tablet... that's pretty killer IMO. Doesn't seem like there's much love for running it as a virtual - there are people who've tried it there and say it is too doggy. But running natively it seems to do OK.

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 01:44:17 PM »

im gonna try that one day...

can i play your parallel images with this vmx player?

how do i make my own .vmx images?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 01:53:03 PM by jammaster82 » Logged

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 02:02:25 PM »

dunno - I didn't think that virtuals were a standardized format so that any player could play a parallels image... have you researched that at all?

dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »

bagside/bagside

[quote Nutballs]
[/quote]
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »

this is so balls awesome.

If that means you think it's pretty spiffy, then I agree.   Grin

Ya, ram is cheap now days.  Leave part of the innertubes alive for
the rest of to play with.

[quote Nutballs]
[/quote]
DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1136

70 mb image bare essential ubuntu 7.10 server...wank.gif

Thats what I'm using at the moment, although had to compile PHP, Apache manually as the 'lamp-server' package didnt work as advertised.

D<
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript