The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 05:25:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intesting take on the Apple Maps fiasco ...  (Read 1424 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »

Although a convenient way to make Apple brilliant in the face of a total fiasco, this is an interesting hypothesis on how Apple could have either knowingly or unwittingly gotten exactly what it wants:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/13/did-apple-get-exactly-what-it-wanted-for-users-in-google-maps-spat/

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 12:47:54 AM »

Meh... I don't buy it.  And they also "planned" to fire the head of their mapping project?  Collateral damage?

No, I think they launched Maps before it was ready after becoming frustrated with Google's refusal to bring their mapping up to parity with other platforms.  I think the Maps app has gotten a bad rap it really isn't bad in the U.S.  Internationally, it sucks and it was nowhere near ready for prime time.

Regardless, Google's app is better they've spent nearly two decades accumulating map data, not to mention transit info, bike routes, and more.  I'd like to see Apple catch up, and I imagine they will, in time and then they can do some truly innovative things, I'm sure.

In the meanwhile, I'll keep using Apple's Maps, because I have had no major problems... flipping over to Google for transit info and the like.  But to some extent, this is all moot Waze has become my app of choice for in-car navigation, even replacing my built-in navigation system.  It's not perfect either, but the real-time traffic updates and automatic rerouting as conditions change, along with alerts of police activity, accidents, slowdowns, road hazards, etc. well, it can't be beat.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »

I believe you are right, but thought it was an interesting take. In summary, perhaps Apple did get what it really wanted - awesome choice of map apps including Google.

And I agree, I don't use either, having been a TomTom guy since it very first came out. Apple maps when linking out from a website. That's about it.

I'd imagine that, especially in your neck of the woods, Apple maps would rock Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript