The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:48:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting books I have read recently  (Read 1991 times)
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:44:06 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Click-Millions-People-Online-Matters/dp/1401323049
In a nutshell people lie Smiley

http://www.amazon.com/Fooled-Randomness-Hidden-Chance-Markets/dp/1587990717
The human brain is not able to understand probability.
Also human's perceive patterns where there are none.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-03/ff_free?currentPage=all
Free! Why $0.00 Is the Future of Business
Basically why all current business models for online media are outdated.

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-People-Have-More-Daughters/dp/0399533656
Why Beautiful People Have More Daughters: From Dating, Shopping, and Praying to Going to War and Becoming a Billionaire-- Two Evolutionary Psychologists Explain Why We Do What We Do
Most of the book is on this website
Ten Politically Incorrect Truths About Human Nature
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200706/ten-politically-incorrect-truths-about-human-nature

Instead of looking at things with "moral" glasses. Look at it from a strictly survival purpose.
Also evolution does not nessarily mean "better".
For example a welfare mom who gets preggo when she is like 15, has an IQ of 80, has on average 6 kids is evolutionarily "better" then perks Smiley
By the time welfare mom is 45 she can be a grandmother  ROFLMAO

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »

Instead of looking at things with "moral" glasses. Look at it from a strictly survival purpose.
Also evolution does not nessarily mean "better".
For example a welfare mom who gets preggo when she is like 15, has an IQ of 80, has on average 6 kids is evolutionarily "better" then perks Smiley
By the time welfare mom is 45 she can be a grandmother  ROFLMAO
So what you are saying is that it's evolutionarily "better" to pass on a lot of genes that get you a whopping IQ of 80 than to produce fewer children with better genes?

*edit* nevermind, I read your post little bit hasty and missed the sarcasm Smiley
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:57:08 PM by kurdt » Logged

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:27:31 AM »

So what you are saying is that it's evolutionarily "better" to pass on a lot of genes that get you a whopping IQ of 80 than to produce fewer children with better genes?
Depends on how you define "better"
"Better" from an evolutionary perspective means able to increase your genes in quantity (hence a larger amount of offspring).
Problem with evolution we assume better means more intelligent, stronger etc.

A virus is a bacteria that has de-evolved. But be de-evolving it is able to replicate much better and quicker.
There was a theory that Mad-Cow disease was even below the level of a "virus" it was more like a replicating enzyme. So maybe a virus that de-evolved.
But from a replication perspective very successful Smiley.

Like all books, not to be taken too seriously. More just food for thought.
Another interesting book
http://www.amazon.com/Tipping-Point-Little-Things-Difference/dp/0316346624
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (Paperback)

Again human minds view think linearly.
As in we view that if we increase X, Y should increase Linearly.
So if we double police, crime should decrease by 1/2.
Or the vice versa Smiley
But that is not the case.

Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:27:56 AM »

Also human's perceive patterns where there are none

Deep, and probably leads to most of humanity's problems.

Bompa

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 01:05:34 AM »

A virus is a bacteria that has de-evolved. But be de-evolving it is able to replicate much better and quicker.
There was a theory that Mad-Cow disease was even below the level of a "virus" it was more like a replicating enzyme. So maybe a virus that de-evolved.
But from a replication perspective very successful Smiley.
Very interesting, I didn't know this.

Or the vice versa Smiley
I might add that majority of the people (a.k.a worker bees) think linearly because lack of education & experience. Anybody who has led a project, studied economics, read anything more than the basic school knowledge realizes that linearity rarely happens in real-life. But good point nonetheless.

Well at this point more intelligent is better because we can't go back enough to become animals again. Anything more than animal brains and here we go again destroying the earth. More intelligent people will come up with better ways to fix what the previous generation fucked up. This cycle will always continue. We think we are smarter than the previous generation and know better than the next but look how well it has served us so far... our climate is nearly fucked up so badly we can't fix the damage and masses still continue doing all the shit they know that poisons the earth. So, let's hope we get more intelligent people who actually understand the consequences of their actions in larger scale.

Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 02:09:17 AM »

Or the vice versa Smiley
I might add that majority of the people (a.k.a worker bees) think linearly because lack of education & experience. Anybody who has led a project, studied economics, read anything more than the basic school knowledge realizes that linearity rarely happens in real-life. But good point nonetheless.

I may have missed your point kurdt, but I believe all people think in a linerar fashion.  Also, all people
learn in a linear fashion.  We read miles of text and hear millions of words, (one word followed by the
next), just to get out of 12th grade.

Bompa

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 03:06:03 AM »

I may have missed your point kurdt, but I believe all people think in a linerar fashion.  Also, all people
learn in a linear fashion.  We read miles of text and hear millions of words, (one word followed by the
next), just to get out of 12th grade.
Yes, that's my exact point Smiley

Real world will teach us that linear ASSUMPTIONS are not usually correct ones. Like nop's double the cops, half the crime rate example.

And people are not linear learners. People learn with all their senses. For example I don't learn very good with reading a text, I learn better when I have visual stimulus and audio a.k.a with videos. But some people learn with text. There's primary learning senses and then there's secondary. Usually you combine them without even realizing it. Also when you read, your brain is not working only with that work but it searches for contexts, examples, etc. to help you realize the meaning. That also means that when you have more context and better example models, you can learn things faster. So double the speed of reading doesn't mean double the speed of learning.

Fuck, now I'm even confusing myself Cheesy

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 03:31:10 AM »

Also human's perceive patterns where there are none
Deep, and probably leads to most of humanity's problems.
Including my own  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
Example when i was a kid I drank grape juice. Then later I got car sick and threw up all the juice.
To this day I can drink grape juice. But I can eat grapes, eat grape frozen shit etc.
A fairly good evolutionary reason behind this.
If I ate a poisonous  plant, probably I want to make sure I never do it again Smiley.
You can see it over at syndk8 all the time with google bans.
I got banned because it was tuesday and I was wearing green socks.

It appears that the human mind is comprised of 2 parts.
The conscious where logical thought takes place.
The uncounscious or reptile brain which is a left over from our prehistoric past.

But the reptile brain is very sneaky. He will be the one that makes the choice.
And to make him happy the logical "intelligent" brain invents excuses for him Smiley.

So you are middle aged, your reptile brain thinks.
Hmmmm if i had a new sports car, I could get laid more.
If I got laid more, I would become alpha male.

So then ur logical brain takes over. He saids
Hmm that is a great car because it is well engineered.
It has great fuel consumption
Or some crap like that Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript