The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 05:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If you played games on an Apple II...  (Read 3948 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »

... then this should seem familiar: Empire I: World Builders. The "sound effects" at around 2:15 are hilarious  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »

That was awesome - so many wonderful memories learning to code on the ][. Thanks ITTO and nice to see you about.

This still makes me really happy: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/6502_Assembly

Do you remember the image of Snoopy that I used to prove the flicker free movement code in what, like 81? Also do you remember the original Star Trek game? No graphics at all, all text based imagery. Delightful. Thanks for the walk down memory lane man. Hard to imagine all we've seen since then.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:43:28 AM »

Definitely brought back some memories.  I used a lot of Edu-Ware software back then.  I even turned some much-more-popular classmate of mine on to the Apple II... not sure if he ever made anything of himself.  He's probably still climbing stadium light poles somewhere.  ;-)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 06:54:14 AM »

Sounds like some kinda moron to me. Climbing light poles? What an idjit.  Angel

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »

I remember your flicker-free cross-hair and although a text-only Star Trek doesn't ring a bell, I remember playing Zork which was a text-only adventure game. Then of course came the Wizard and the Princess, Ultima I, II, xxx, and of course  Oregon Trail.

When Karateka arrived, I thought we hit a plateau of gaming excellence  D'oh!

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:49:06 AM »

It was the first intelligent game I ever played on a computer, between that and Breakout, was about all we had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apple_Trek.gif

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »

Yep, now I remember! That green command quadrant block refreshed my memory.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »

Karateka  ROFLMAO

How about Sneakers? Do you remember the one? That was really the first pretty Hires game for the ][.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:28:11 AM »

I totally remember Sneakers!  Surprised how that one rushed back to me, I'd NEVER have remembered it without prompting.  The mind is a pretty amazing storage box.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »

LDA page 6...

thats my ebonics assembly... im not trying to send codes to a selectrix typo-ball
but i remember the shit out of swashbuckler and strip poker... two tone nips.....

:fap:

Jackoff

just hearing these sounds takes me back to zero.

command open apple reset /esc still works depending on your keyboard but it wont make that awesome looking asterisk thingy and scratch the needle off the record  next to the close bracket....

enough said the sprites on the atari 130xe and the power without the price was way better ...what with the quadrophonic pokey chip and the GTIA and the antic chip made 

preppie, archon II , ghostbusters , flight simulator II,  castle wolfenstein, wizards quest, ballblazer, 3d world,
alternate reality,  starglider,

same 6502, better shizz.. blew the apple away. 

just hope you dont have to do any vertical scrolling anytime soon...Cheesy

even robot tank on the 2600 blew away the apple ][.* non p/m graphics detritis. Wink

SHit, my atari 520st was running unix way b4 apple jumped on board (ducks and waits for barrage)

My atari would tear your you up faster than kleenex at a snot part  vertical blank bank switch to page 6.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnER7vX7yn0

the swashbuckler vid lol

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »

I LOVED coding on that box. It looks so cheesy now, but the simplicity of graphics memory, 6502 - it was a delight. To this day I think more fondly upon coding against the Apple ][ than any other language I've ever used.

(They say you never forget your first...Wink )

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »

Lots of folks did dig the Atari ... and it was great. But it had a much more limited audience and seemed less of a utility machine. Certainly, there was no great push for business apps on the Atari LOL ... so I spent no time there because gaming was always a way, way distant second for me.

And you're right, we only had 2 pages on the Apple - but used correctly that's all you needed. It's funny, now thinking about it, that it took longer than the vertical refresh rate to simply move a block of data the size of the video ram page into a real video page. Amazing.

jacktimo
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 03:41:29 AM »

Yep, now I remember! That green command quadrant block refreshed my memory.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:16:46 AM by Bompa » Logged
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »

Humabot. Thx Bomps Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript