The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 16, 2019, 05:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hulu to start charging in 2010  (Read 3218 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:50:17 PM »

http://4sp.in/2mJ

wow, i though they were going to figure it out, but i guess not...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »

I've read they're running a $30M annual loss.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:11:02 PM »

I think this is my favorite comment:

News Corp. has no idea what they're doing. Honestly? They don't realize that TV exists ONLY because it was free to watch, and ad-supported? If, back in the 40's when TV was gaining popularity, the TV stations started charging people to watch, TV would have gone the way of the dodo.

>TV - great comparison.  Is there any money to be had in TV? Roll Eyes  Nothing like Free to Fortunetm  Actually I just made up Free to Fortunetm and it has a ring to it.  I better get on the phone and see to it that residuals roll in whenever anyone else says it Wink

Try saying "Threepeat" publicly and watch your phone ring with slimy lawyers demanding $10,000 per utterance.  No shit.  Ex-head coach of the Lakers owns the right to say the word publicly.  Bit I digress...

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »

TV is just following the path blazed by newspapers & magazines.  Frankly, I see little hope for them long term.

End of the world as Hollywood knows it

"The news isn't entirely bad; you still have iTunes and Netflix--places where people spend money to buy or rent movies. You still have Hulu, Crackle.com, and YouTube, which are generating ad revenue by streaming full-length films and TV shows online. But the reality is that the amount of money that these legal operations generate is far less than the returns your industry is used to making. Unless some dramatic technological breakthrough occurs that can defeat file sharing, then you are staring at checkmate. Your business is headed for the same meat grinder that has chewed up the recorded music sector and print publishing. What will come out the other side is still uncertain but will likely be much smaller."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10378654-261.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

That pretty much sums it up.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »

TV is just following the path blazed by newspapers & magazines.  Frankly, I see little hope for them long term.

End of the world as Hollywood knows it

"The news isn't entirely bad; you still have iTunes and Netflix--places where people spend money to buy or rent movies. You still have Hulu, Crackle.com, and YouTube, which are generating ad revenue by streaming full-length films and TV shows online. But the reality is that the amount of money that these legal operations generate is far less than the returns your industry is used to making. Unless some dramatic technological breakthrough occurs that can defeat file sharing, then you are staring at checkmate. Your business is headed for the same meat grinder that has chewed up the recorded music sector and print publishing. What will come out the other side is still uncertain but will likely be much smaller."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10378654-261.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

That pretty much sums it up.

I disagree in one respect.  TV is one thing but there's no possible way to "pirate" the entire movie experience.  Therefore I think there will always be a niche for big screen, big sound, first date enjoyment for people who want that good 'ol fashioned $10 popcorn experience ROFLMAO

Otherwise it's right on IMO.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »

>I think there will always be a niche for big screen, big sound, first date enjoyment

True, but I don't think the industry can support itself on that narrow market.  (Stale) Popcorn would have to be $100 to pay the overhead on a cinemaplex.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 05:19:18 PM »

>I think there will always be a niche for big screen, big sound, first date enjoyment

True, but I don't think the industry can support itself on that narrow market.  (Stale) Popcorn would have to be $100 to pay the overhead on a cinemaplex.

Probably so.  I once heard that profits from concessions provided theaters with the bulk of their revenue.  Of course it's only something I heard and really know nothing about Tongue  I'll bet it was a rumor spread by some disgruntled Skittles fan.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »

>profits from concessions provided theaters with the bulk of their revenue

I suspect that's right, as we have one theater here which runs new releases with admission prices at $3 or $4.  They have the advantage of having a nice, but older, building and low lease rates. But still, $4 is loooowww by today's standards.

But back to TV's imminent demise...  I watch very little.  Since we put in the media center which can toggle between web and tv very easily, it's likely that I'll watch even less.  More telling, though, is my wife's viewing habits. She's a moderate user and has some favorites but it's obvious that they are losing their pull.  Last night, for instance, I got her started watching youtube clips of various autonomous robots. We watched maybe 30 minutes of them together, then she watched a few more after I left the room.  It was good entertainment that we assembled to meet our tastes. About 80% was an edu or non-commercial creation. I can't recall any ads, though I'm sure there must have been a few splash pages.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 06:06:38 PM »

>About 80% was an edu or non-commercial creation.

Nice rc.  I'm a big fan of the same, though I often grumble at the lack of "Watch Immediately" options at NetFlix.  They simply insist that we burn fossil fuels to watch most movies.  But I'm still hooked on the broadband heroin drip of cable internet (Comcast now) so my "free" on demand selections usually provide our entertainment.

Looking forward to meeting you in November.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 06:32:27 PM »

>though I often grumble at the lack of "Watch Immediately" options at NetFlix

Yeah, Louise grumbled, too.  However, our age is an advantage here as there are more than a few old tv series that netflix is streaming that we know were pretty good. (Columbo, Kolchak, etc.) Nostalgia is good sauce.  Anyway, I told her to count the total viewing hours she already had in her inventory --it would take about 2 years of non-stop streaming to view it all.  By then, I figure netflix will be streaming 100%.

Also, I suggested she focus on rating what she watched. This would allow the algo to lock in in her and really pump up the suggestions.  That worked, bigtime.  Maybe too well. Kinda scary, actually.

>november

Yeah, going to be good to see you, too.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 09:38:56 PM »

Excellent! This is excellent news people! I know you just don't see it but it is. This proves that even people behind sites like Hulu are still thinking in "the previous level" of economy and that makes them very vulnerable.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 05:39:38 PM »

I disagree in one respect.  TV is one thing but there's no possible way to "pirate" the entire movie experience.  Therefore I think there will always be a niche for big screen, big sound, first date enjoyment for people who want that good 'ol fashioned $10 popcorn experience ROFLMAO

Luxary movie theaters here cost $2, run of the mill $1.
Most of the Luxary mall like Edsa Shangra La in Ortigous, Or the famous green belt malls in Makati take a loss on the movie theatres.
Again in all malls, the movies are used to draw in customers. That is the sole purpose of them.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 02:05:51 PM »

from NB's link:

"what changes if and when Comcast takes the NBCU seat at the Hulu table alongside News Corp. and Disney?  Comcast has very different thoughts about how to charge for online content."

update:
Comcast One Step Closer To Owning NBC Universal
http://consumerist.com/2009/12/comcast-one-step-closer-to-owning-nbc-universal.html

If I remember correctly from other articles, acquiring NBCU will give Comcast controlling interest in Hulu.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »

This is an interesting dovetail to the recent reports that YouTube is going to start charging for mid-band stuff just like Apple ... but in their case, rent and view and *that's it* as opposed to even having the file on your machine ... here comes the money-soak conglomerates.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 02:54:10 PM »

>recent reports that YouTube is going to start charging for mid-band stuff

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

And so, many will pay ...at least at first.  Like we've done with cable over the last few decades.

-BUT-

There will be a cadre of users who will assemble their own viewing. Often, this will not seem to compete with tv-like content, particularly when looking at the parts rather than the whole.  Earlier this week, one of the heavy-hitters was a 17 sec video of someone playing with a kitten "Surprised Kitten" or somesuch.  I've already posted about spending an evening looking at edu clips of 'autonomous robotic helicopters.'  With only a small amount of savvy, it's pretty easy to roll your own viewing for an evening.  Add Netflix, mega-time-shifting*, public domain, torrents, etc. and it's obvious that video media publishers are facing the same disenfranchisement from the distribution system that print has suffered.

And in 5 years the younger group that has grown up downloading and ripping in the land-of-free will be their target audience.  Not a chance in hell that they'll be repeat-billing subscribers.

*I find a surprisingly large number of people don't really care about seeing the latest installment of a series but will watch it the next month (or even years later. Kolchak, Night Stalker via Netflix is a timeshift of -what?- 35 years.) IF it is commercial-free.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:02:07 PM by rcjordan » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript