The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 01:51:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How I started.. and got where I am now, in programming/computing  (Read 4896 times)
craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »

You read the topic title.. take 2 mins and give your story.. and a path for people to follow your footsteps...  Nerd
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 10:36:23 PM »

where is ur story ?
i want a story with lots of sex, action, violence
craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »

sorry..  i has court order..
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:19:46 AM »

me:  Say, is this area 37?

guard:  No.  This is area 51.

me:  Damn.  I knew I shoulda turned left at Albuquerque.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 11:52:38 PM by dink » Logged

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:36:28 AM »

I started perl coding about 7 or 8 years ago.  I was an IRCOP on a very small IRC network.

I got my hands on an eggdrop bot and put it in a few channels as entertainment, so I learned
some TCL to do that, (Tool Command Language).

The IRC network did have a web page, but it was 100% static, I taught myself enough
perl/cgi to write some sort of form, I forget what it did.  LOL

That's pretty much the beginning, not too exciting, but that's it.

Bompa

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 06:05:08 AM »

My father brought home our first computer when I was 8, and I was pretty much hooked. A few months later, I somehow was able to secure a copy of Borland's TurboPascal. Not a very exciting IDE as those things go, but at the time it was pretty awesome. I started dinking around with Pascal and BASIC. By the time I was in high school, I was taking programming courses. Unfortunately, our programming teacher decided he didn't like something about the school. I don't remember what - some political thing. Anyway, a friend and I wound up teaching the course while a parent of one of my classmates sat in to keep order. It was pretty fun.

When I went to college, I decided I wanted to be a patent attorney and deal with technology law. That fell through fairly quickly, and I wound up with just a computer engineering major, then I switched to computer science, then Management Informations Systems. By the time I switched to MIS, I'd taken a lot of CE courses, so they grandfathered me in and I wound up with a BS and a much more technical background than most MIS grads.

But anyway, then I entered the working world. And I'm a nerd.  Nerd

hai
dbdog
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 09:31:43 AM »

Mid 1970's programming IBM assembler with punched cards.
Then RPG, FORTRAN and COBOL on punched cards.
Then FORTRAN on mini-computers. I have a 32k core memory
board hanging in my office from an old machine I worked on.
It is 10" X 14" and with a magnifying glass you can see the wires
going thru the tiny little iron "donuts". We used to clean the 14"
disk drive platters with alcohol and long Q-tips as they were spinning.
Started using Unix based servers around 1984.
Start using Oracle in 1985 on character based terminals.
etc. etc. etc.

ARF
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »

I love these kinds of threads - great stories.

I was 10 when my father, a professor at a college in California, managed to get me into a computer class - the school had an IBM System 370 with dumb green-screen terminals all over campus - if you were lucky you cold work on those rather than the "typers" in the lab.  First language was APL which was just horrible.

Later in 9th grade I was failing algebra and we had one of the very first Apple ][s at our school (another interesting story) ... but you could only get into the room with it post Algebra II and Geometry, so, since I was also manufacturing and selling lock pick kits (don't ask) I used my ... um ... skills to gain access. No one questioned my presence at the machine for 2 years. By time I was a Junior in high school I was programming for the school district and the math teachers were coming to me for help. Senior year I officially taught programming to 5th and 6th grade at another local school. By time I was 19 I owned a tiny piece of a retail school, Accelerated Computer Training in Irvine, CA.

Not one to be satisfied however, I returned to my primary love, music (I played piano since I was 4, in my first band at 13 and had started playing clubs at 17) and went on the road touring & clubbing with various bands until I was about 25. I came back to ACT which was doing pretty badly, took the client base and a Centronix line printer (best asset in the place and I still miss dumping code out on it) and started my first consulting firm with two other lads, one of whom, Jairez Aleutian lurks this board occasionally. Oh the stories we had then... that was quite a ride. (Jairez, it should be noted, is also a brilliant Jujistuka and my sensei, and was recently awarded his 5th degree black belt.)

Through that time I've coded in APL, Fortran, dozens of dialects of BASIC, a little COBOL, several proprietary telco languages, a couple assemblies, a bit of Prolog, dBASE then Clipper, C, C++, Visual Basic, Delphi, Kylix & Java - and there's probably a bunch I've forgotten in there.. I've written several of my own languages, including WebSmith - an early dynamic web server to service the FLAT OUT HUGE systems the DBDog had written in the late 90s (perhaps if you can find him a really nice microbrew stout or IPA he can be coerced into telling some of you rookies about the hundreds of millions of dollars he has been responsible for moving for pharmacies all over the country with Oracle - you'll not find a smarter DB man on the planet, I shit you not), dProvider for telco systems and RoboCode for the travel industry which Jammaster brags he still has a copy of, but I doubt it Wink (Jammaster is also no slouch and took my travel-robotics language in places I NEVER thought it would go. Fucking hacker  ROFLMAO )

Today I'm knee deep in building my own philosophy (as most of you can tell) around the correct way to build systems in JavaScript<-(Ajax)->PHP<-->Stored MySQL and maintain a small list of dedicated and very boutique clients, as well as my own retail ventures and a couple interesting gambles. I still dabble in certain aspects of BH but it does not make up much of what I do.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 10:16:29 AM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »

LOL@lockpicks. Whats with nerds and paying for beer/hookers with lockpicks. I did it. My past mentor did it. You did it. Though I was very limited in my skills and tools, more a matter of skeleton keys and such. I relied more on social engineering for my more interesting adventures...

I started when I was 7 (i think). i don't really remember the order of events back then, but it was basically that I got sent to computer camp (i know, nerd) a few times. TRS-80, PET, AppleII learning basic and LOGO (LOL) originally, then moved on to i think PASCAL and Fortran. Hated it. Realized i was more into the "what makes this tick" aspect, and so launched an on-and-off adventure in hardware hacking for a while.

Eventually this cool little computer came out, the Sinclair 1000. My dad ordered the kit, which was a board and a bag of parts, and a case. we built it, and used that thing for years. Even wrote a few little crappy space invader and robotron type clones. I have it sitting on my desk right now and have been trying to get the enthusiasm up to hook it up to the tv to see if it still works...

Then I started showing an interest in computer graphics. So my dad bought a SpectraVideo. (yes, we didnt exactly walk the mainstream path). I started to dabble more in graphic programming, but again, got bored...

Then the Amiga appeared at a computer show we went to... Ah yes, the Amiga 1000. We ordered one on the spot. I was apprently one of the first 1000 owners. Initially i was programming ray tracing scenes, which was tedious to say the least. and I got bored... So i started hacking...
That went well for a while.
Then I got a call from an attorney for ATT.
I stopped hacking. (and Im sticking to that story)

Then 1 day, A piece of software for the amiga came out. Lightwave3D. And so began a horribly misguided career in 3D animation. I wrote a few really small shitty plugins for it. Made a couple bucks. Also worked for my mentor at the time pulling network cables.

Almost went to MIT, but ended up at Purdue for computer science, but failed out. In my "introduction to pascal" class I turned in all the coursework for the semester at the end of the second week. I got an F for cheating... You can guess how the rest of my 2 year career went. I learned C/C++ at least. In my final semester, I had a calculus final, 3000 students in an auditorium, all taking the same test. I answered every question B which took about 5 minutes, stood up, and yelled at as loud as I could, IM DONE!!!! then walked to the closest TA and said, "it's a fucking A!" My roomates told me later that they gave an extra 10 minutes because I freaked everyone out.

All the while I was messing around with Vitual Reality and remotely shared spaces. multiuser online 3d spaces basically. mostly hardware hacking. Then I found Mosaic in some early beta...

traveled Europe for 9 weeks, had a few dozen epiphanies, and 1 year later went back to college. A dumber one, which would let me do things my way and bend the rules, if it was the better way. Paid my way through college by doing 3D animation, being a guinea pig for the Air Force, doing network installs, being a hardware monkey, etc etc. AND web development...

Trudging through shitty CGI applications, and making pretty websites, made me alot of beer money until 1996, when I got my hands on Denali, which was the name of ASP in beta. My head exploded, and so did one of my professor's. We started learning from each other and very quickly became oober, which got me a job at a design firm doing backend development. Along the way learning SQL, and doing dozens of very complicated sites, since after all, there were no shopping carts you could buy. Had my first shopping cart developed by end of 97.

Since 99 I have been on my own 7 of 10 years. doing development work for a few fortune 500's and some little guys, all over the country. A few really good years, of being "the man" then dot bomb happened. I skated by for a while, but finally had to get a job. 3 years later, woohoo, back on my own mostly due to my discovery of BH and a very big job from a large travel company. All the while doing everything in classic ASP. never got into .NET, it made my head hurt lots.

And finally we are here. After much brow beating by perk, I finally tried out PHP, mostly because I want to stay in a  scripting style language, instead of some halfbreed that ASP has become. Well, now I am doing everything in PHP, except for existing client work, which frankly gets very confusing. Between MySQL and MsSQL, PHP and ASP and JS, my brain spends a lot of time saying "hit the backspace you fucked up again".

but nevertheless. My skill has always been my problem solving and logic and ideas. The language is just a facility to make it happen.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »

You geeks are soooo cool.    Applause

I think I'll go back and replace my post with something like:

I'm sorry, I must be in the wrong building. 

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »

Applause Praise
craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »

started in 3rd grade with Basic- 10 PRINT FUNGUS 20 GOTO 10- etc
read and mostly tinkered until high school.. discovered the internets and moneys to be made.. got in trouble.. took a few steps back.. started again after college with BH.. still learning everyday..
deregular
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 05:18:14 AM »

Man I only got my first computer at age 20!
Some of you guys started playing with them pre high school?Huh?

You guys are the shit!

On my defense though, to defend my nerdiness and being the retro type of guy I am, I did some years back get a hold of a couple ancient systems (i think one was amiga, and the other an apple) just to see what they could do. After digging around on them for a few weeks I promptly put them in the too hard basket, I guess for lack of knowing what the hell to do with them. They're still around here somewhere.

Fell on a web developer status by necessity on my business startup about 10 year ago (when i got my first pc) html, javascript blah blah.. Started SEOing a couple years later. A little after, played with some Perl due to morbid curiosity, and finally dug my heels into php.

Now im working at a web dev firm as a systems admin/php programmer.

Haha I never even played with a Linux box until 6 months ago!
Now Im in charge of one.

Ahhh how quickly our eyes can be opened to greater things ;O)
thedarkness
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »

I will post here time permitting  Grin

Cheers,
td

"I want to be the guy my dog thinks I am."
 - Unknown
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript