The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 06:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do they do this?  (Read 1875 times)
penfold
n00b

CRUMBS!

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »

G'day Mates.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/dexedrine.html

If you hover over the double underlined link, 'sleep' for instance,
a smooth little rounded popup window floats out.  What tools were used
and can anyone shed a little light on how to get started on that kind of a project?

I love how smooth that looks.

Crikey!
Penfold
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:12:29 PM by penfold » Logged

No links in signatures please
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 06:44:29 PM »

there are actually a few companies that do that. that one is vibrant obviously.

its just javascript that phones home to a central server, like adsense for example, that analyzes the content of the page, and then modifies the DOM via JS. no ajax really. Actually perks, XRPC thread is a starting point for getting around the cross domain security policies that make it a little more complicated than just whipping up a JS that phones home.

http://www.perkiset.org/forum/ajax/it%E2%80%99s_time_to_dump_xmlhttprequest-t336.0.html

other than that, the details are for you Wink
but really its not that big a deal i think. never done it, but easy enough i would assume. can even do the whole thing client side, in JS, and then just phone home with the top 5 most common words, depending on how your ad system would work.

devil is in the details, but the general idea is, JS on page which phones home with the content of the page (or derived info), via XRPC, and then you write back, via JS, wrappers for the words you want to advertise on. <div onmouseover="magicadpopupfunction()">someawesomeword</div>

might be an interesting exercise actually... hmmm maybe I will tinker with this when I get a chance, which might be a while... lol

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:39:11 PM »

I have not looked at the link, but it sounds like a cross between a tool-tip like library and yes, NBs, a x-domain defeating technology to collect the correct ad.

As I recall, JasonD did a bunch of this sort of work several years ago and found it to be pretty damn effective. Also as NBs says, it's not that tough, but a pretty cool technique in any case.

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript