The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: high-speed trains on routes designed for commuter stops  (Read 1198 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »

What could possibly go wrong?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/10399126.stm
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »

This is a pretty typical setup in most of Europe (and even in parts of the U.S. where there is high-speed rail too.)  The luxury of having dedicated tracks for the high speed line which are physically separated from the local trains - it just doesn't exist.  It's a tragedy, of course, but I have a hard time doing anything but blaming the stupidity of anyone who would jump down off the platform and cross the tracks, especially in a big mob where you can't get out of the way even after you realize a train is coming.  Nobody deserves to die this way, but it was so avoidable with a little common sense and a modicum of patience.

I think it's a little silly to blame this on the track infrastructure.  It's no different than someone who decides to walk across the lanes of a freeway and gets mowed down by a semi truck.  Is it the fault of the road or its designers?  I don't think so.

Undoubtedly a couple of idiots decided to cross the tracks, and in the "mob mentality" a bunch of unthinking people followed them, with predictable results.

Sad.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »

Tragic as that story is, I think you're right.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 12:33:06 AM »

At least it is not as bad as in the philippines.
But then again, maybe filipinos got these bad habits from the spanish.

Worst example is Edsa, a huge 10-16 lane road that passes thru manila.
In the middle, they initially built chain fences. People cut holes thru them so they could jaywalk.

So they built overpasses/underpasses and then built a fence out of iron pipes.
And they posted signs that translate roughly into
"If you cross the street here, you will die"
People then went and got pry bars and broke holes into the fence, so they can still jaywalk, ironically right under the overpass.

I think the gov't has pretty much given up.
On the bright side maybe the people who get killed jay walking will have done it before they reproduce which will stop this bad habit.

On another topic, in between some of the lanes they have put huge concrete barriers, mainly to stop crazy drivers from weaving from one lane to another.
If u ever have to travel on edsa just try and keep your eyes closed Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript