The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 06:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heads of major movies studios to help poor indie films "harmed by piracy"  (Read 1702 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:48:06 PM »

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091123/1047437057.shtml

Couldn't resist  Grin  What a socially accepted riot  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:44:06 AM »

I don't get it. Everybody knows that they have lost the war and there's no coming back. And I'm 100% sure they know it too but why they keep lying and fighting? It doesn't make any sense business-wise either. I just want to download more of their stuff just because they are so fucking stupid they keep doing this. I'm sure many people get the same "fuck you" feeling. At the same time they are leaving huge pool of money on the table because of this. They should be innovating new business models instead of trying to catch huge amount of people who's internet activities ultimately can't be contained.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:47:53 AM »

I don't get it. Everybody knows that they have lost the war and there's no coming back. And I'm 100% sure they know it too but why they keep lying and fighting? It doesn't make any sense business-wise either.
To paraphrase Sun Tzu.
When you are in a losing position, you delay.
The situation can always potentially change tomorrow.
If the situation changes then you attack.

Basically the problem is not guys like kurdt pirating. The problem is average joe pirating stuff.
Potential things that could change.
1) Google Thin client comes to pass, does not allow u to play pirated shit. Since all data is stored server side, pirated shit can be deleted.
2) Recording industry manages to lobby hard enuff to get ISP to pay a percentage of thier revenue to them. (Managed to pull that shit on cassette tapes, cdrom etc).
3) Manage to get a right wing gov't elected in USA. Slam a total ban on all shit including pirating of shit.
4) Thru massive brainwashing in both schools and media manage to persuade majority of people pirating shit is evil and wrong.

Even from a buisness sense. Every year they can delay the inevitable, the more $$$ they pull in. What percentage of thier income do the spend on propaganda etc.

Again don't confuse truth with facts.
Truth has little to do with facts, just what majority of the sheeple believe in.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 03:14:32 AM »

To paraphrase Sun Tzu.
When you are in a losing position, you delay.
The situation can always potentially change tomorrow.
If the situation changes then you attack.

Basically the problem is not guys like kurdt pirating. The problem is average joe pirating stuff.
Potential things that could change.
1) Google Thin client comes to pass, does not allow u to play pirated shit. Since all data is stored server side, pirated shit can be deleted.
2) Recording industry manages to lobby hard enuff to get ISP to pay a percentage of thier revenue to them. (Managed to pull that shit on cassette tapes, cdrom etc).
3) Manage to get a right wing gov't elected in USA. Slam a total ban on all shit including pirating of shit.
4) Thru massive brainwashing in both schools and media manage to persuade majority of people pirating shit is evil and wrong.

Even from a buisness sense. Every year they can delay the inevitable, the more $$$ they pull in. What percentage of thier income do the spend on propaganda etc.

Again don't confuse truth with facts.
Truth has little to do with facts, just what majority of the sheeple believe in.
Yeah I agree with your points. However these companies might also be setting themselves in position they can't recover from when the unexpected happens. Basically with this strategy they are either going to be wiped out completely OR get the old ways back. To me this strategy seems really stupid when there's clear indications that new business models can be invented and these companies could exist in the future. But when they try to force and manipulate people and when alternative pops up... they are going to be in for a rough ride to the bankrupt..

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 04:04:00 AM »

The "recording industry" is a group of companies that are standing up for a certain type of law.
Lets just assume for simplicity sake that it is one company, walt disney.

Lets assume Walt Disney has 3 sources of revenue.
1) Big Screen Movie, user is paying to go to real movie house, piracy will not affect this revenue source since u are paying for experience of "Big Screen"
2) DVD rentals / sales. Piracy will affect this revenue stream.
3) Selling shitty overpriced merchandise whose market is created from the 1 & 2.

Ok obviously 3 brings in the highest revenue stream.
But 2 is "free money", you have to make the stupid movie so people buy ur stupid crap. So as long as ur legal/propaganda costs are less then revenue from 2 you are winning.
So if u can delay the inevitable for 10 years, how much will they have profited ? And as a side effect there is a small chance they might win.

People get caught in the little picture, and do not see the "big picture".
Japan won WW2.
Why ?
Japan prior to WW2 had a raw material embargo on it from USA etc.
Japan had tried all diplomatic means to get this embargo lifted.
The military commanders where very realistic about it. Unless Japan can get a supply of raw material, the empire is finished.
Before Japan did Pearl Harbour they knew the chances of winning a war with USA was small. But the longer they waited the worse the situation was.
So logical thing, do a surprise attack. Without a war, Japan would lose anyway. With war there is a slight possibility they might win.
Because of the red threat from China, USA was forced to back up Japan economically, allow Japan free access to USA markets etc.
That Sony is represented in more countries then US embassies is testament to they won they war.
Militarily they lost, but what was the origional objective Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript