The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:22:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gross sales of goods by IP protection  (Read 3247 times)
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:27:02 PM »

This is from a TED talk called "Lessons from fashion's free culture". I thought you guys might like this because of all the recent conversation here Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »

Fantastic YouTube clip - thanks kurdt! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL2FOrx41N0

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »

People mix up "common good" vs "individual good".
There is countless amount of data that show for majority of products/services IP (or what ever u want to call it) harms the consumer.
And ultimately the industry in general.

Exceptions are in things like an electric distribution company.
Some transport companies, the bus industry in PH has zero regulation, as a result there are like a zillion bus companies.
Trying to catch a bus from Manila to Cebu is a nightmare.
Literally you might have to transfer thru 5/6 bus companies.

And again people twist the facts to meet their agenda.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:26:39 PM »

And again people twist the facts to meet their agenda.

Well to be fair, the three business areas in the heavy IP section are more optional: films, books and music.  The four in low IP are more essential: food, automobiles, fashion and furniture.  Fashion is all clothing, including that pair of tight Wrangler jeans you're prancing around in  ROFLMAO

(shut off the webcam nop, we can all see you)

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »

Rather a silly chart I think. The red-state take away from that would be that, well, IP based businesses OBVIOUSLY have it wrong because if music were non-IP based then it might have a shot at being like food.  Roll Eyes

And again in fairness, the only "IP" their talking about there is copyright, because the auto industry is simply rife with patent law, and fashion - whew baby. Try to create a purse that looks like Louis Vuitton man. Good luck with that.

No, I think that chart is really flawed. A good example though, Kurdt, of some of what's wrong with the debate.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »

...and fashion - whew baby. Try to create a purse that looks like Louis Vuitton man. Good luck with that.
You might want to watch that TED talk before saying things like these out loud... Wink

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »

Fair enough, you're right about the structure - just don't try to make the LV logo. But I stand on my point re. cars and patents.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:35 PM »

>Try to create a purse that looks like Louis Vuitton man. Good luck with that.

That's where you're mistaken.  You definitely can do this, except for the brand itself.  That's why you see Nike with it's brand symbol all over the damn shoes, since you can copy the shoes thread for thread - completely legally - but not their name or brand symbol.

So the point really is: has fashion suffered as a result of this openness?  Do we lack innovation in the fashion industry as a result of refusing to grant limited, mini-monopolies to fashion kingpins who most certainly complain that they are needed, much like these other industries do today?

Fashion is fine.  I'd almost recommend instituting fashion IP laws to dampen the overheated industry Wink - jk

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:39 PM »

Fashion is fine.  I'd almost recommend instituting fashion IP laws to dampen the overheated industry Wink - jk
ROFLMAO

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 12:37:57 AM »

Personally I am against most forms of IP, except in certain industries.
But for example the music or books industry, where did those figures come from ?
For the music industry did the count other forms of revenue, for example endorsements by singer etc.

Book industry is another good example. Many authors write books not for the purpose of making money off the book, but for self promotion.
One of the first pioneers of "free" is PT Barnum.
Mass publication of his autobiography was one of Barnum's more successful methods of self-promotion. Some had every edition. Barnum eventually gave up his copyright to allow other printers to sell inexpensive editions. At the end of the 19th century the number of copies printed was second only to the New Testament printed in North America
But for every "sale" of his book, you would have to compute how many more "sales" did he get for people going to his circus.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:44:16 AM »

>But for every "sale" of his book, you would have to compute how many more "sales" did he get for people going to his circus.

True.  The adjacent scarcity capitalized on is rarely measured in these comparisons.  It's one reason Free is seen as simply free.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript