The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 11:44:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Got an email about a domain of mine to buy it.  (Read 1546 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:31:08 AM »

Ok, this is spam domain. But, its a decent name.
I get these emails all the time, but this one was a short and sweet, "i would like to buy your domain".

Whatchu think, 10k?  ROFLMAO

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »

The first person to say a number loses.

reply, "I am interested. What were you considering as an offer?"

If he says $10 you know what you are dealing with ...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
lamontagne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:33:55 PM »

Perk is right, to a point. Domain selling is a game of dealing with impulse buyers. Right now it's sitting in his head that he wants the domain. If you make it a hassle for him to get it by haggling he wont buy. Take whatever you think the name is worth and double it and send back an email, or you can bait him to make the first offer like perks said. If he seems to try to be baiting you back though in the 2nd email it could be a trap and just go ahead and make the offer. Unless you have no problems with not selling the domain, but if you WANT to sell it, then sell it. I'de say if he doesn't take your offer tell him to suckit. After all you had no intentions of selling it before he showed up.

It could also very likely be a bait email from a spammer to get whitelisted and gather a list of potential clients...especially if you have a whoisgaurd on the domain. He wants the response so he can have your real email, not the auto forwarding one. I've done this on craigslist, it works well to get targeted email lists.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:35:44 PM by lamontagne » Logged

"Long time no see. I only pray the caliber of your questions has improved." - Kevin Smith
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »

Ah ... missed the whitelist game. Good eye Lamont.

And yes that is another viable technique. I was thinking this sort of email because if you get any sort of human response then you'll know it's f'reals and NOT a white list effort.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »

Other than one well-heeled buyer who is assembling a multi-million$$ network of geographic names, I sell to commercial resellers.  The last one was about $30k.  I just tell them I'm firm on X price.  Retail requests aren't usually worth the reply and I got tired of $300 offers for domains worth 6 digits so I changed the whois email to domainNOTforsale@ on those and it solved 99.9% of the problem.  For those who are pursuing a domain that is just in my inventory I keep a page with prices listed and point them to that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »

Right on RC.

Side note: PinkHat and I were just sitting on the sofa watching pictures roll by on her screen saver and saw you and the missus several times from the last mashup.
Miss you both and hope you are doing well, old friend.

/p

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript