The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:16:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: From what I'm reading, Murabak is toast.  (Read 6930 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »

Reports are generally saying that the military and police are now joining the protesters.  The Egyptian government is collapsing.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »

Doesn't look any better at all today.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 05:45:36 AM »

20 Ways to Circumvent the Egyptians Governments' Internet Block

http://pastebin.com/9jJUku77
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:01:21 AM »

I've been thinking a lot about that lately ... HAM viability, CBs, ad hoc nets to avoid the large carrier shutdowns ... I think this should be the new civil self defense effort.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »

>should be the new civil self defense effort

Agreed  ...and that concern is one of the primary reasons I started this thread. It's ironic that the US gov is calling for unfettered access to the internet for Egypt while calling for the right to have an internet kill switch for its own populace.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:35:27 AM »

People should be REALLY PHUQUING SCARED about the government even ASKING for that possibility.

With the new authoritarian style government being pushed by the righties I am more concerned than ever about this sort of thing.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »

I am surprised that there is not a more mature wireless mesh system by now. The fact is, every single cell phone should be capable of relay. Every single wifi AP should be capable of relay.

I get that it is WAY complicated, but at a simplistic view, it should be currently possible.

I actually hope that the US gov puts a kill switch in place. I know they "claim" it will only be for in the event of an attack. Of course they never say if an attack from within counts... But anyway, i hope they do. Reason is, the ubernerds will freak out and get a real mesh system going. It may not always be on, but a small app on your iphone/droid and a few upgrades to wifi APs and you can enable a network in a moment if things go south.

Only reason that would never actually ever be built to a usable level is the fact that Americans still are convinced it "will never happen to me/us".

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »

> "will never happen to me/us"

Add this.

200GB to 25GB: Canada gets first, bitter dose of metered Internet
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/01/canada-gets-first-bitter-dose-of-metered-internet-billing.ars

This isn't too far off the thread topic, either. The kill switch scenario (Egypt/here) has stirred some renewed interest in mesh but I'm also seeing mention of it to bypass the tollgates coming to the trunk.  Whether that's realistic or not as a technology, I'm not qualified to say.  But there's been a lot of pointing to Netsukuku.
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/10/6/101832/209
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »

Depends on what type of metering is done. If it is a "censored" one where google bandwidth is not charged, but joe's website is.
Then it is unfair.
But for a cell plan you can have a range of options, prepaid, where you actually pay for the minutes used.
For internet why not the same thing ?

The "kill switch" thing. Again we can look into history.
A very old joke about telephones.
British : why would you want such a device, to talk to someone like that would be so vulgar.
German : An amazing device, every baracks and police station should have one so we can control our armies.
French : That device is very dangerous, with it the people could organize a revolt, only the police should have phones.
American : An amazing device, if everyone had one, I could sell them all sorts of things.

The legality of encryption communications is very old. In USA they where debating should it be legal to encrypt telegraphs.
It was decided that yes it was. And there where extremely elaborate devices/books to encrypt telegrams, primarily from USA.
This is of utmost importance in trade. Telegraph is open. Back in the day when massive orders where done by telegraph, or brokers would by and sell over it.

So from the telephone, USA benefited the most. Germany a close second. Basically "captialism" will decide. If the country has a "kill switch" and uses it all the time, their trade will suffer. The "enlightenment" took place in Britain,USA,Holland, these places where very liberal for the period. The steam engine which was the greatest invention ever, was not invented by James Watt alone, without all the components it would not have been possible.

"Liberal" as in "thought" is very important for progress and science. A great deal of the progress in china is because the gov't is loosening up control (they still have a long way to go, but the changes are amazing). I lost the website, but the Chinese gov't instead of cracking down on "hackers" is actually encouraging "hacker groups". For "ebook warez" you can find tons of programming books on Chinese gov't websites. But in USA when you have some illiterate from texas deciding what should be researched, and what should not, based on a book 2000 years old, you are in trouble. The US debt, troubling. But reality is after WW2 USA had a bigger debt and got out of it. But after WW2 USA had the go get it attitude.

So ultimately be like the soviet union, and end up in the ash heap of history. Or be like Holland which even today is still a center of trade.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »

Agree Nuts & RC, time renew the mesh.

And hadn't thought of it that way Nuts but you're right: if the government even sneezes in that direction there'll be such a quick upwelling of ubernerd counter that it should be quite interesting. Maybe that's what's necessary.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 07:16:36 PM »

Americans still are convinced it "will never happen to me/us".
Americans are very "child like" and innocent.
The only time people figure things out is when it is too late and they are going up the chimney.
Germans learned their lesson the hard way. 70+ years ago they where saying it will never happen to me/us.
Jews in Spain learned the hard way as they where getting branded by hot irons. For the inquisitor all is legal as long as he does not draw blood Wink

If the government even sneezes in that direction there'll be such a quick upwelling of ubernerd counter that it should be quite interesting. Maybe that's what's necessary.
I agree with the necessary part. What direction it comes from no one can tell. All that is guaranteed it will come from a direction we can not see.
The "Hitler" crap is over played. But don't forget numerous nobel prize winners backed him. He was Time magazine man of the year.
And his greatest opposition came from Britain and USA which took Hitler by surprise.

With Marx he expected the uprising to happen in Britain and Germany. It happened in Russia of all places.
China's capitalism market economy originated from the great fearless leader Mao himself. I know that has to be true, since that is official Chinese communist party line. Still a little baffled why did the great fearless leader needed to destroy all types of capitalism market economy first. But then again I must not have understood the teachings of the great Mao. And how come Mao's vision only came true 20+ years after his death Huh?

What ever happens, perks is right. It will be very interesting Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »

The "Hitler" crap is over played. But don't forget numerous nobel prize winners backed him. He was Time magazine man of the year.

Agree ... the more important metaphor and/or association is with Goebbels, not Adolph. He was an incredible propagandist, really, really amazing. Helped shape the Hitler visage into something that was really consumable by the German public. Today, that's Fox news and the Palin/Bachmann crowd. Please, I'm not comparing Palin to Hitler - I'm comparing Fox News to Goebbels. Really. I could put Beck and Limbaugh in the same driver's seat as Fox - perhaps even more so and more of a personal thing. It's about convincing a populace that something that might be contrary to the popular well being is actually appetizing and desirable.

Like Madonna, for example. But I digress.

Hitler is simply an easy bogeyman for folks to sling around and whip into hyperbole.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »

Hitler is simply an easy bogeyman for folks to sling around and whip into hyperbole.

Applause

"sling around and whip into hyperbole"  ROFLMAO

I'm guessing you either authored that sentence or downloaded it from iTunes Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »

That'd be an original. I'm here all week, tell your friends.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »

Oh sling it perks!  Sling that cleeeeverie! Smiley

(Cl-E-ver-E)

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript