The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 11:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flat earth news  (Read 1716 times)
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »

http://www.flatearthnews.net/
churnalism  ROFLMAO
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »

Wha, you don't like my new site?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »

Basically the book describes news media (the author has experience in newspaper, but he attempts to also cover radio,TV and internet).
Also the news media he describes is from a british angle mostly, again he attempts to cover US news media.

In a nutshell the problem with "modern news" is that newspapers etc in an attempt to make more money have laid off all thier reporters.
So all news now only comes from like 3-4 sources.
Hence the term churnalism.
So that is why you can have something like the WMD crap made as fact in the news etc.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:11:05 PM »

Looks very interesting.  It reminds me of the book I loved by Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky: "Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media."
Also of interest is the documentary Outfoxed - Rupert Murdock's War on Journalism: http://www.outfoxed.org/Buy.php

This definitely caught my attention: "The business of truth has been slowly subverted by the mass production of ignorance."

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »

Basically news media is nothing more then a black hat mash up Cheesy
So 75% of modern news is made from PR releases. Not because news media has an agenda, just because it makes good economic sense.
A heck of a lot cheaper to publish a PR release then send a reporter there to find out what really is happening Smiley
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »

Not because news media has an agenda

The media is on par with politicians and corporations on that front.  True, the garbage on the teleprompter is faithfully regurgitated by the "reporter" on camera, spoon-fed by a corporate approval process.  When media first became profitable (60-minutes) it fundamentally changed from a public service to a profit center.  News viewers today are literally customers.  Retaining your client-base frequently calls for pandering to the prejudice of your audience.  Since this results in higher customer retention, the more heavily corporate controlled media such as Fox are frequently the furthest from the truth.  However, all are suspect and it's up to the individual to work hard to know what's really happening in the world. 

The corporations that own our media most certainly have various agendas but they are not always carried out.  Just look at all the people who have been fired from Fox "News" for straying from the corporate vision and political tone of the news they were presenting. 

So no grand conspiracy here.  But deregulation rears it's ugly head when unchecked megalomaniacs and ideologues are free to decide what you and I learn about the world.  Idiocracy is just slightly further along that path, but it's not far enough IMO.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript