The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:13:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox - Worse than Windows  (Read 4486 times)
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:45:42 PM »

I just have to rant, I'm so pissed off again with Firefox... Is anybody else tired with Firefox crashing? I'm talking about Mac version, I heard that Windows version works much much better which is funny because in some talks I have seen from Mozilla folks they seem to be all using Macs.

I'm not sure what the fuck is going on but Firefox crashes at least once everyday. And it crashes in all the places it shouldn't. I just had to force quit it after I pressed reply in Gmail. It just started loading again with no return. I doubt it's any of the extension since I don't have that many and they are all very popular ones like Web Developer. It's just annoying when you constantly have to be afraid that is this the click that crashes Firefox and when it crashes, is it going to remember all the open tabs. And with highly ajaxed websites it doesn't help much if it remembers the url.

Also something that I have noticed that happens ALWAYS with or without extension is Firefox fucking up flash video. After Firefox has been in use for a while it's not able to play smooth video anymore. It randomly takes little half second pauses that get really annoying really fast. Nowadays if I want to watch any online video I have to start Safari and watch the video with that.

I guess I just have to move to Safari for good, I'm so sick and tired of Firefox. Too bad Safari doesn't have few extensions I really like in Firefox Sad

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:16:54 AM »

I just have to rant, I'm so pissed off again with Firefox... Is anybody else tired with Firefox crashing? I'm talking about Mac version, I heard that Windows version works much much better which is funny because in some talks I have seen from Mozilla folks they seem to be all using Macs.

I use 3.5.3 in Windows and the crash frequency is tolerable.  Between FF and Eclipse I'm kind of resigned to a decent environment that has a few rough spots.  After lots of work sometimes I have to reboot for FF to launch.  Of course in Windows rebooting is a "best practice" after 30+ minutes of use Wink

Chrome and IE never have this problem but I refuse to have IE as my home base and Chrome is still too buggy for serious development IMO.  I'd probably go Safari on Mac and FF on Windows since both have been targeted for each OS first 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:35:20 AM »

On Linux it works like a charm ... no crashes !

Maybe it likes to work only with free stuffs

ROFLMAO

what's up?
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:08:41 AM »

Any problems with flash video sites like YouTube? I have heard so many people complain about Firefox's flash problems that I'm surprised if it works in Linux Smiley

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:53:14 AM »

I have to agree. Ff is a pos now.

The only reason I use it is for the extensions. If ie or safari had extensions...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:20:26 AM »

I use FF on XP and never have a problem with it.

I used to use IE all the time and FF just when I was researching, but one day
I decided to switch over and stuck with it.

I use Opera for syndk8 and here cuz it seems quicker.

Bompa

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
KaptainKrayola
Keeper of Pie
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »

Any problems with flash video sites like YouTube? I have heard so many people complain about Firefox's flash problems that I'm surprised if it works in Linux Smiley

flash doesn't work worth a shit in linux - at least not for me.  I have heard other people say it works great for them but ive tried several flash players and none of them work well.  The one i have now will work on maybe 30% of flash it comes across but its all buggy and shitty most of the time.

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:10:02 AM »

i don't have problems with flash (ususally) on linux but firefox fucking sucks. it especially sucks on linux. i just need the extensions, and the lightweight alternatives (arora, midori) are not mature enough (no password managers).

i find opera always looks like shit and doesn't have much better performance, no extensions, and too many little opera only quirks i can't get used to.

i was able to greatly improve firefox's performance and startup time. i recomend to anyone with firefox problems on linux export your passwords and bookmarks (there is a password exporter extension that works). remove all firefox settings (though i'd back them up) - $rm -rf ~./mozilla, re install firefox, and import your passwords and bookmarks. this is opposed to keeping your settings folder.

also, trim you history settings. regardless of what you set in the preferences, in about:config you will see firefox stores like 1500 or more urls in it's history by default. wtf does anybody need with 1500 history items? the internet is on the internet.

going off topic, to anyone who is using ubuntu and is comfortable fucking with settings and command line, try out arch. but read the wiki first. the rolling release thing is very nice you are always up to date. bonus, im am running kde 4.3 with most services and using about 250 mb. by far the best linux experience i'v had.

so yeah, firefox is shit on everything but windows.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 08:20:58 AM »

Hmmm
I have no probs with FF on linux or windoze.
Seems to be a common theme.

Maybe the problem is Mac is a POS  ROFLMAO
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »

Maybe the problem is Mac is a POS

Hold on, gotta grab my helmet...

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 09:10:46 AM »

While testing my sites, I run Safari, IE 6,7 and 8 in virtuals and FF in both Mac and Windows. In all cases, FF is slower and more problematic than even IE6 (I'm not talking about rendering here... we all know what a POS IE6 is from that perspective) ... I only have it here because I need to test, but there is nothing compelling about it at all for me. IF I was a windowster I'd probably go Opera or IE7, which ATM seems more stable than 8.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
KaptainKrayola
Keeper of Pie
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:18:35 AM »

arms - what flash player plugin are you running? 
I have some 3rd party piece of crap because adobe didn't have and x64 one for me last i checked.

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 10:46:31 AM »

im running arch and i'm using the following version of "Adobe Flash Player"  from the repos:
extra/flashplugin 10.0.32.18-1.1
with the firefox package from the repos:
extra/firefox 3.5.3-1

when i was still on ubuntu i was using swiftweasel (just untared into a local dir like ~/apps/swiftweasel) but i forget if i was using the adobe flash from the repos or the one from the adobe site. i had to play with that a bit. i remember i had some problems getting that to work and forget what i did, but i eventually made it work. if you use the plugin from adobe's site, make sure you remove the ones from the repos.

i am on i686 though. i tried a 64 bit install a while ago and i didn't notice any performance improvements and everything just used twice as much ram.

the main reason i switched to arch was i was tired of having to upgrade ubuntu to get up to date packages or worse, build my own packages and fuck with fucking dependency shit for half a day because i want a firefox update. there is also a huge difference in the quality of the kde packages vs kubuntu, and i'd bet with xfce vs xubuntu as well.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »

Maybe the problem is Mac is a POS

Hold on, gotta grab my helmet...
lol  Don't make me...

NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 03:43:15 PM »

I have heard so many people complain about Firefox's flash problems that I'm surprised if it works in Linux Smiley

Every problem has a solution !  Wink

You should do something like this :

Code:
apt remove --purge -y flashplugin-nonfree nspluginwrapper

Code:
apt install flashplugin-nonfree

and ... voilla ... you have non-crashing/blocking flash on linux !

what's up?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript