The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 06:07:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead-on animation about Work, Salary, and motivation.  (Read 4140 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »

http://4sp.in/38F

frankly, if you dont believe it to be true and agree with 95% of it, you are moron and either
A: have managed people but not paid attention to the results or lack there of that you have gotten
B: you have never managed people, only been managed, and think that the only things in your job that could make you happy is a bonus.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »

Wow, frickin' great in every way Nuts.

Spot on emotionally and from any kind of intelligent management perspective.
EXCELLENT display mechanism in terms of engagement and memorability.
Purposeful, timely message that describes a lot of what's currently going on.

Good one mate, cheers.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »

Agreed.  You pay someone too much and they make keeping their job their job, and not their job.

These are the same employees that will keep you busy with thousands of questions about
things and cant make a single decision for themselves.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 06:33:53 PM »

This doesn't surprise me at all.

The worst job I ever had, was one in which I got something like 6 pay raises in one year.  It seemed like every time I turned around, I was getting called in and given a raise.  But I hated the job.  My boss was kind of a jerk, and I never got any praise or verbal appreciation of my work.  Even when he was giving me a raise, it wasn't like, "We're really happy with the work you're doing so we're giving you a raise."  It was just, "Here, we're giving you more money."

I would have foregone all of the raises for some thanks and appreciation for what I was doing.  It proved to me, at a very young age, that money, while always nice and appreciated, is not a very good motivator, at least for me.

I think people want to feel needed and appreciated, and for most people, that desire is more fundamental than the desire for greater financial compensation.  There are folks who are the exception to the rule, of course, and this doesn't mean that you can get away with paying employees next-to-nothing, because the only thing worse than feeling unappreciated is feeling like you're being taken advantage of.

Pay people what they are worth, but motivate them by giving them the ability to make a difference, and by letting them know how much they are valued when they do.  That's my philosophy.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »

The short take-away is this i think:
money, as a motivator, only motivates the person to try to get more money. Which means, gradually doing less, so that you can then suddenly do more when it counts, to get the extra money.

example was when I worked for a cell phone company. The sales guys would always manage to make their top end quota with some insane numbers on the last day of their week. It didnt matter what day it was, just, the last day of their quota week, and blamo, they did double and triple what they did the rest of the week.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »

You guys should read Dan Ariele's Predictable Irrational. They demonstrate that Snickers bar is more effective reward than money. That study in the animation in the end about money as motivator is from this book. There's also a lot of good studies about price points and how people perceive the value of money.

I think it's all about giving people a purpose they believe in. Majority of the people don't come up with purpose themselves so if you can give them a purpose they really believe in, that's priceless. If you treat them fair and don't abuse their believe, it's the true win-win situation for everybody.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:47:26 PM »

What I think is important in running a company is putting people
before pennies.  Cult leaders use this technique and pay nothing... and
the followers work for the common good..

I once worked for a company that made 8 million dollars a month.

Funny you say snickers for a reward because they would give 'kudos' bars
in a meeting called, "Kudos" and the entire 300+ person operation would shut
down so they could do skits, make videos, have a silly fun meeting or take a turn
in the free hot dog line.  They had pool tables in the break room and you wouldnt get
busted if you were fucking off , nmt doing anything but shooting pool....
Phones ringing, pressing business on hold while they took
time for the people.  The employees felt like a family member of the company.
Shutting down everything to put people before pennies went a looong way.

The individuals felt like what they did at the company mattered.  People were understood
to be people and even evaluted for personality type with a test at
first blush in interview one. There were still some buttholes that played the
corporate shark tank game but that kind of stuff
didn't really win over because the cool people were all tight with each other and
loved the company and overpowered the corporate dickhead drone types.

When it came down to a decision that had to be made for the good of the company
(reference: Office Space Is this good for the company?)  The people felt like they
were protecting their own asses by doing the best thing for the company and they were
allowed the personal freedom to make those decisions.... and it worked.

It was the sweetest job I ever had in my life... Never felt for a minute like i wasnt wanted there..

Personal issue... no problem, go handle it...  I was on salary and found myself there late many
nights doing overtime for no extra benefit other than I wanted us to win and I felt like it mattered
if I did it.

The company switched owners, stopped doing all those things, people didn't give a shit and
the sharks drove it into the grave...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:49:57 PM by Phaėton » Logged

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »

I understand. Smiley

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 11:00:38 PM »

Ya, I'm actually still friends with my boss from that job and many of
the people that worked there are still in my regular loop....

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »

I'll bet your boss loved your attitude. Bet he really dug having you on the team.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 01:44:39 PM »

Shit, you guys are blubbering over 50-year-old McGregor Theory X-Y updated with modern media.

But since we're on workforce trends (sorta), read this article. Quite sobering for the boys...

"Earlier this year, for the first time in American history, the balance of the workforce tipped toward women, who now hold a majority of the nation’s jobs. The working class, which has long defined our notions of masculinity, is slowly turning into a matriarchy, with men increasingly absent from the home and women making all the decisions. Women dominate today’s colleges and professional schools—for every two men who will receive a B.A. this year, three women will do the same. Of the 15 job categories projected to grow the most in the next decade in the U.S., all but two are occupied primarily by women. Indeed, the U.S. economy is in some ways becoming a kind of traveling sisterhood: upper-class women leave home and enter the workforce, creating domestic jobs for other women to fill.

The postindustrial economy is indifferent to men’s size and strength. The attributes that are most valuable today—social intelligence, open communication, the ability to sit still and focus—are, at a minimum, not predominantly male. In fact, the opposite may be true."

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/8135
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 02:04:19 PM »

may be 50 years old, but most of the diptards I have worked for apparently never got the memo.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 03:15:44 PM »

Applause  Right on.  I actually use Atlassian's Jira Studio.  Funny little mistake in this video though: Skype's mission is to be "destructive"  ROFLMAO  No, the guy presenting said disruptive, not destructive Smiley 

But I agree with nuts on the follow up comment to rc.  One would imagine people must have received the memo by now.  Well I have a different take on it.  They have received it, they're simply incompetent and utterly incapable of creatively producing effective incentives.  That's because they're disconnected, uninteresting, unoriginal egos wearing Mensa ties and desperately clinging to their one-trick ponies.  It seems to take increasingly larger amounts of capital to push forward with this lame, uninspired business practice.

But when you have the billions, sometimes the financial incentives become so large that even the creatively impaired can continue to compete, or at least for a while.  Funny, I ran into a senior IBM cloud representative at an open cloud event recently.  Talk about a fish out of water  ROFLMAO

And Microsoft protesting the Salesforce.com Cloudforce2010 event?  Priceless.  Web 2.0 rejects these ancient forms of coercion that should have remained only for physical labor incentives.  The success of the long tail business approach is part of this picture as well.  People want to contribute for the cause not the cash, which increases the value of something like open source  Idea...

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »

the problem is that both methods work.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »

they do, but they work differently.

Spif method works well on low income folks. Work hard, afford food this week. But only enough to get them to achieve the spif.
It does NOT work on higher end wagers.

Example. Turnover in phone centers is HUGE. No matter what kind of incentives they add, phone jockys bail at the first issue. Two reasons. There are a billion phone jocky jobs out there. And "i dont get paid enough", this spif is insulting, etc etc.

But look at google. Good salaries, but not the top. Great perks. and RESPECT. Turnover (until recently) was close to zero.

I can use that cell phone company again as an example. I mentioned how on the sales guys' last quota day, they would do massive numbers and always manage to make their spif. The number was 40 for argument sake. Do you know how many guys did 42? ZERO. EVER. 41 was occasional and usually an "accident" because the person they were talking to wanted 2 phones. Each sale above 40 would have netted them $85. So they could have made and extra $85 for just 1 more sale. But nope, never. They hit 40 and bam, they were outta there. Couldnt get fired because, afterall they made their max quota.

Design firm I worked at had flex time. You had to be there monday-thursday 10-2 but could start anytime and leave anytime as long as you did your 8'ish hours. Some days I worked 4 hours, others 12. I didnt care at all how long a day might have dragged on trying to get a project done, because I knew that I could take some short days when I wanted. That firm was the most productive company I have ever worked for. Everyone was happy. The people who abused it got ousted by everyone else. All the owner did was pull the trigger, but we bought the gun, loaded it, aimed it, and held it. The only thing we were ever afraid of, was the owner taking away that privilege because someone was abusing it. I was underpaid, overworked (at times) and learning like a motherfucker. Since I could work as long as I needed, and get some sanity back if I needed to, I took on stuff I didnt know how to do. Worked 48 hours straight, got those things done, learned something new, and took a day or two off to reload. Boss thought it was awesome. So did the staff. (business died due to tax issues and a retarded financial decision on the owner's part). Thankfully the biz folded and pushed me back into the world of self employment...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript