The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 07:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: creating my own blogging platform  (Read 3650 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:21:53 PM »

So, I am using expression engine, which is pretty cool, and does alot of what I want. but...

I am a tinkerer. EE lets me tinker, but there is already so much crap in it, that I don't use, or that I have to work around, that I am now starting to consider writing my own.

I think at the basic level, it is a really easy project.
I am thinking of doing the template(s) as XSL, which i blabbered about previously. I like the idea because it is standardized, and has all the looping and display features built in. I wont have to write anything for dealing with templates. And since I know XSL, that makes it easy enough to make templates.

If i use tinyMCE as the editor interface, I dont have that to contend with either, which one of you suggested in my quest for a CMS.

hell, all i need as base features is: content, tag/categorize, comments, authentication
I then could do 2 plugin stages, content in, content out. maybe a third for pageout and do token replacement for banner management for example.

I just cant stand how many features are built into the packages, when they should be bare bones, and let you plugin from there.
maybe I am oversimplifying it?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:06:27 PM »

Sounds good enough to me.

When will you release it?

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:17:18 PM »

Nope, not over simple at all nuts - that's really about it. The thing about EE and WP et al is that they must be user friendly enough for luddites, so there is LOTS of crap that is unnecessary for you - in fact, that much overhead is somewhat suffocating IMO. A blog is really simply a dynamic site powered by a DB with some date ordering and keyword features. I have considered doing the same, since I detest the WP codebase, but just have not had the time to do it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 06:29:41 PM »

i need to obviously put a bit more thought into it, but maybe an Open Source BrainDonkey Blogging Platform might be a "fun" project to do.

for me it would ideally be a blog, forum, and CMS.
that way, 1 template set, and it can work for everything. instead of the wordpress/SMF combo, which means two completely different template systems.

time to bust out the sketchpad and start diagramming i guess...

deregular
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:58:33 PM »

Yup, I did this in my CMS, but I built the blog as a module to the main 'content' cms.
I used FCKeditor though as there is an addon for image manipulation available.

Only things i havent built in yet are Categories for content, and blog comments.
(just didnt get around to them)

Perfect for smaller sites that want the blog or another module as the main content.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 05:33:46 AM »

Now that I work in the large corporate web sector, I realize that the answer is always to add more and better hardware to cure performance issues.

Blog running too slow? Add another server and a load balancer.

lol

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »

lol v

yea. this isnt really performance from a tech point of view, but performance from a 'programmer nerd' point of view. I dont like having to do things i dont actually want or use.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:16:55 AM »

i guess one of the questions I am trying to figure out is why no one else uses XSL as the template system?

it makes no sense to me. It already exists. its fairly robust, or at least enough for this type of thing. And many people already know it.
Why do all these blogs create proprietary template systems?
what am I missing?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 10:34:34 AM »

XSL requires too much gray matter for the average person who wants to blog.
Consider, for just a moment, the ratio of smart tech people to boneheads in the blogosphere and your answer is manifest Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »

but thats my confusion.
if I clip out all the tards that are using a stock template for word press, why does wordpress not use XSL for example?
Why do NONE OF THEM use XSL?

Granted, XSL is too hard for the average blog tard, but then again, so is any other template system out there. EE is pretty simple, but if you don't understand scripting logic, you will struggle with that even.

So that means that templates are generally not created by blog tards, but by designers who learned the template system, or programmers who can design or aquired a design.

So why not XSL, which should be no harder than wordpress templating... lol

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 11:20:36 AM »

Evidence article B: WordPress is written predominantly in inline php rather than procedure style, much less OO. This would give us a pretty fair indication of the forward thinking nature of the authors of that package, to simply name one.  Roll Eyes

I think you're on the right track. I am intrigued and would be willing to assist. I probably have some code lying around that could be retasked into a back office to manage the whole mess quite easily. And it's all AJAXy n'shit Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript