The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:07:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bandwidth by the gallon  (Read 3253 times)
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2010, 09:53:20 AM »

SO how LONG will it be before all isps charge by the byte/bit/nibble...?  thoughts?

with services like google instant, boxee, hulu plus and netflix all available on
mobile devices more people than ever are using crazy amounts of bandwidth..

my prediction is that soon you will have to pay by the byte... not just
at&t mobile customers... but EVERYONE.  How come internet speeds
arent under MOORES law... has anyone ever broke the 10mbps barrier
even on a local network?  I havent.... Youd think after 15 years of trying
someone would have a report somewhere of hitting 10mbps... the biggest
ive ever done with a 2>3-3<2 'null' 100mbps cable from linux box to linux box
straight ftp transfer is about 5.5-6.0 mbps in a short burst.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »

Internet costs are getting lower in most parts of the world where there is a free market.
When mobile came out initially they charged by bandwidth.
It did not really take off.
So now there are 4 packages all prepaid, hourly,daily,weekly or monthly.
Granted only the larger areas right now have 3G but it is expanding.
Again in USA etc, people want cheaper net, but don't want cell towers etc.
And they vote in the same old group that supports big business, and tries to eliminate small business.

So in American probably they will be charging by the byte in 3-5 years.
Probably it will be on the guise of "protection", to prevent "terrorists" from using the net.
And again the stupid sheeple will do fuck all.

Anyway unless they smarten up, America will collapse into an abyss of its own ignorance.
When empires reach a certain size, they start to limit freedoms. Which increases ignorance.
And then eventually they just fall apart. Countless examples.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »

Lol i have never seen someone that can bend a thread from cost per byte to the #failAndFlaimingDeathOfUS so quickly NOP. You're funny guy Smiley

I dunno. There are some fighting, like ATT for byte charges, others are moving the opposite direction. I think as bandwidth increases it will increase the provision of larger files, meaning that (in theory) its just going to get more and more expensive. I don't know if thats a valid thesis, pointing to a scarcity model rather than a commodity model. I think bandwidth will be more commodotized in the future rather than more scarce, so prices and restrictions should fall rather than rise.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:10:27 PM »

If I had lot's of capital, I would definitely invest in companies that owns the infrastructure. Plastic & data connections will be the next gas & oil.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »

If I had lot's of capital, I would definitely invest in companies that owns the infrastructure. Plastic & data connections will be the next gas & oil.
In US/Canada it would be a good idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fibre
Just to double check my figures. 90% of fiber in place now is "dark". And because of new protocols, more bandwidth can be stuck thru a present fiber.
The biggies that own the fiber are railroads,telecom and maybe electric company mainly because of the "right of way".
Every buttfuk town in USA/Canada used to have a railway, and the railway companies own the "right of way".
Moores law does apply to fibre.

So the "real cost" is dropping. But since right of way is a virtual monopoly, they can charge what ever they feel like it.

Lol i have never seen someone that can bend a thread from cost per byte to the #failAndFlaimingDeathOfUS so quickly NOP. You're funny guy Smiley
Politics determines business. And business can influence politics.
So opening a "nude dancing" bar in turkey is a bad business model, because of politics Smiley
Bottom line is that "capitalism" in USA/Canada is broken. Majority of military contracts are awarded without competing bids etc.

The analogy of comparing USA/Canada (politically canada is getting closer to USA) to failed empires like rome,spain,holland and britain is a poor one.
Mainly because the mentioned countries where small who depended on colonies.
A better analogy would be to compare USA/Canada to India,China and Russia.
In land mass all 4 countries are large, with large amounts of resources and population.
USA is the new guy on the block, but India,China and Russia have always been "super powers".
USA will continue to be a "super power" but will decline somewhat, it will become more like russia 200 years ago or china/india 40 years ago.
The crimean war (which probably should be called a world war) was fought between russia vs entire europe, and russia held it to a stalemate.
I just mention the crimean war to show that Russia despite being fucked up politically at the time, was a "super power".
40 years earlier when fighting against napoleon, the russian military engineers where the best.

In the case of the these types of "super powers" the purpose of "colonies" was not economic, but more "pride" and "expansion of ideas".
Then every so often the get all xenophobic withdraw into themselves, and turn into a feudal like system.

In the case of USA, they are starting to go xenophobic. Also you can see the start of a feudal system.
This current "recession" in USA, for majority of the population quality of life has lessened, but for about 5% it has increased.
From 1945 to ~1990 India and China where not a factor on the world economy. Mainly because they chose not to be.

People assume falsely under a "feudal" system, a country can not build great things.
In Russia there is the Kremlin, St Peterburg, for the longest time when it came to casting of metal for bells and canon, no one could beat russia.
In India you can find countless examples also. They talk about how USA invented steel frame construction in NYC, india was doing that for their temples 300 years earlier. When advisors to the PM of Canada state that certain individuals should be assasinated, when they constitute no physical threat ....

Feudalism is great for the top 5% of the population. But it kind of sucks for the serf working in the field.
California is nice. Maybe when USA turns into a feudalism in 20 years if I am still around I will move there and buy a beach house.
Would be kind of amusing to hire "white trash" on subsistence wages to clean my house etc.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:21:30 PM »

In US/Canada it would be a good idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fibre
Just to double check my figures. 90% of fiber in place now is "dark". And because of new protocols, more bandwidth can be stuck thru a present fiber.
The biggies that own the fiber are railroads,telecom and maybe electric company mainly because of the "right of way".
Every buttfuk town in USA/Canada used to have a railway, and the railway companies own the "right of way".
Moores law does apply to fibre.

So the "real cost" is dropping. But since right of way is a virtual monopoly, they can charge what ever they feel like it.
I wasn't talking about local fiber owners, I was talking about the companies that own the main infrastructure that's being used to make internet connections possible. Companies that own the cables in the sea you know. WiGig says we should have 7Gbps wifi chips on the market by 2012. That basically means that sooner or later all local connections will be wireless just because it's easier for everybody. So the real long-term money is in the main infrastructure and not in the local providers that are vulnerable to technological progress.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 05:02:16 AM »

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/how-us-internet-service-might-get-better-and-worse-in-2014/

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 05:03:34 AM »

pay more if you use more:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/11/do-you-want-to-pay-extra-for-data-then-comcast-has-a-deal-for-you/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript