The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 09:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad bad VeriChip! RFID implants should always be approved first!  (Read 5305 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »

http://pesn.com/2009/11/28/9501591_Bob_Boyce_cancer_by_Verichip/

No, it's not the  , you really should get paranoid this time.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:08:18 PM »

Tin foil hat time. FFS. And JTFC at the same time. I wonder if property values have fallen in Montana enough for me to move?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
lamontagne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »

judging by that picture, he probably ate it without realizing it...

"Long time no see. I only pray the caliber of your questions has improved." - Kevin Smith
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »

This is the biggest bag of hooey I've seen in quite a while.  Maybe when they find the mysterious person who is running around injecting cancer-causing RFID chips into anyone creating miracle technology which will eliminate oil dependence, they'll also find proof that Barack Obama was born in Swaziland and that the WTC Towers were brought down by Eskimos crunching too many Dorito's chips.

It's amazing how the miraculous bits of new technology are always stymied by nefarious forces before they can be demonstrated to any credible observers. 
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »

It's amazing how the miraculous bits of new technology are always stymied by nefarious forces before they can be demonstrated to any credible observers. 

True.  But as for the hooey remark I'd ask you to consider this.  Although in America I'm not very concerned about this level of privacy invasion getting any real traction, I'm completely confident that it's not only "hopeful" in other countries but it's already a reality.  I used to work for the parent company that owns VeriChip.  I'm quite familiar with the fact that there's 98% hooey aimed at generating press exposure, hype and buzz simply to pump the stock so the drunken sailboat nimrods who run the show can dilute it further and enjoy glutinous, undeserved bonuses.

However, you might be surprised to discover what some of these technologies actually are being used for in regions without the protections afforded to me and others in similarly structured western civilizations.  South American countries enforce subdermal RFID identification chipping in high risk occupations such as employees at nuclear power plants, government officials, everyone in prison, and in some cases of extreme divide between the rich and the poor (parts of Brazil and Argentina, for example) people are chipped against their will in the name of "fill in the blank" (national security, streamlining commerce, etc.)  There's even a nightclub in Spain with a VIP lounge that can only be accessed when you have a VeriChip implanted underneath your skin.  But I hear the chicks are really hot so it's an acceptable trade off  Roll Eyes

So I agree with your hooey observation yet feel it's important to expose these things even when they hint at reducing our freedoms 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 06:59:30 PM »

@isthisthingon
I am not sure how things work in South America. But I can never see it working too hot in Philippines or other such places.
Statistics (Again because of the situation) are totally unreliable here.
25% of people here do not even have proper ID papers, as in no birth certificate etc. (these are official stats).
Reality is no one really knows. I know that the maid that works for us, she has papers, but her brother and sister do not.
The place where they where born, the townhall had a mysterious fire and all the birth certificates for 2 years got destroyed.
This is not an uncommon occurance.

The definitely is a "rich/poor" divide. As in there are luxary malls, gated communities etc.
Getting into some of the gate communities, I think that there is less security when you went from west to east berlin.
But who guards these "luxary" places ? Who does all the shit jobs ?
When i lived in a luxary apartment in manila, they had 10-20 armed guards on duty at all times.
We had hired a maid. The maid started stealing from us. We later found out she had been working for someone else in the building and had been fired for theft.
On paper she had been "banned" from entering the building. Obviously one of the guards etc was a relative or friend of her. Or maybe one of the guards was her boyfriend etc.

A true dictatorship can only exist in countries like USA,Germany etc. The reason why is that people have to be "trained" from childhood to follow rules.
The worst driver in USA is probably better then 99% of drivers in PH. Literally they have a total disregard for the rules. Probably that is why there are traffic jams from hell here. Things like traffic lights, lines on the road etc are just decorations. When you get to an intersection, you just blast your horn, drive into the mess and hopefully your car gets through. The only intersections where the rules are 1/2 assed followed is the major ones where traffic police are stationed.

First time you are riding a taxi. It is theoretically 4 lane road. (again lines on road do not matter cars just go side by side until there is no more room). In the 2 lanes approaching the intersection there is a 3 block long congestion. But the opposing 2 lanes are relatively empty. The taxi driver just goes and cuts into on-coming traffic. He then starts to blast his horn and speeds up. I think the theory is the faster you go the safer you are since it cuts down the time car is going against on coming traffic Smiley. As he is playing chicken with the on coming traffic, he blasts his horn constantly (horns are very important for operating vehicles here). He then flies thru the intersection, while going the wrong way, then cuts back into the proper lane and flies along. All the time the taxi driver is talking to you, texting his GF on his cell, talking on his cell, eating lunch or maybe doing all at once.

I think to qualify as a taxi driver, bus driver or jeepney driver you must have suicidal tendencies. If you are crossing the street, and a jeepney or bus blasts his horn, you better get off the street. When he sees pedestrians he speeds up and blasts horn. Also when crossing street. Crossing at corners is dangerous. Taxis,Jeepneys and Buses can fly out of no where and hit you. Much safer to jay walk, that way you can see them coming for a long ways and run to safety.

Anyway places where they can not even enforce basic traffic rules, where identity papers are non-existant. Where most people have a total disregard for basic rules, I have no idea how they will enforce a verichip.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:18:56 PM »

Although in America I'm not very concerned about this level of privacy invasion getting any real traction, I'm completely confident that it's not only "hopeful" in other countries but it's already a reality.

I don't disagree that there is enormous potential for abuse with these things, and that that abuse is likely to be most prevalent in countries without much respect for personal liberties or privacy.  It's a frightening thought, which crosses waaaaay over any ethical line a reasonable person or society would have.  And I think we're likely to see it, just like other scary things like human cloning, in places with very weak, or very strong and oppressive, governments.

But as for this guy, who developed perpetual motion or something but was silenced by a secret chip injected into his body against his will by titans of industry, which gave him cancer… hooey.

[edit: double /quote caused graphic problem]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:27:11 PM by perkiset » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript