The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 11:55:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arizona, what the hell???  (Read 2803 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/08/gabrielle-giffords-shot-tucson-arizona

This is stunning and terrible.  Hopefully we will begin to acknowledge the connection between incidents like this and the following Glen Beck type crap:

Giffords's Tuscon constituency office was vandalised last March after she voted in favour of Barack Obama's controversial health bill, which has been bitterly opposed by the American right. Giffords had been named as a political campaign target for conservatives in November's elections by former Alaskan governor Sarah Palin for her strong support of Obama's reforms. Palin had published a "target map" on her website using images of gun sights to identify 20 House Democrats, including Giffords, for backing the new health care law. At an event in 2009 which was similar to the one Giffords was holding today, a protester was removed by police when his pistol fell to the supermarket floor.

Sorry, but this is about as irresponsible as making bomb threat jokes on an airplane 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

Guns don't kill people.

Palin kills people.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »

HOLY SHIT I WAS FOOLING AROUND just checked CNN.

JTFC, what have we become?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »

It's truly horrible.  I think nop may be more right about us than I'd like to believe.  This guy probably just murdered not just a political figure and others in attendance, but the wife of an emotionally destroyed man.  It hurts my stomach.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »

>Just remember you made them that way.

Idea...

Very true.  Yet it's the Palin's who should face trial and consequences and rarely ever do.  The rest of us are guilty of sleepwalking for comfort's sake.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:19:31 PM by isthisthingon » Logged
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »

spot on.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »

Im wondering when last a republican was shot for political reasons? Ever, other than regan? How many dems shot or shot at now?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

spot on.

Most unfortunately, I believe I clicked "Modify" when I was responding to nop's post, thinking I clicked "Quote."  He had quite a nice page full of his insight and unless there was a bug at the Cache, I'm probably the culprit  Embarrassed

"His" post was mine, quoting his original.  It wasn't very flattering for us Americans but I believe it was spot on - so I agree Wink

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »

I will rewrite my post Wink Not quite the same, but the idea is the same.
Ironic in a way that I was talking about walking time bombs 5 days ago.

Ok ITTO maybe good you deleted my post.

Ok this is weird, the article from this morning said he was a veteran of afgan. Now the article said he was an "army reject". The army has issued a statement that the individual was never in the army, that he had applied but was rejected. I don't know what to believe. Notice that the army issued the statement, but the other branches of the military did not. That is weird.

Also peculiar that the description of the gunman changed slightly. In the first posting he was described as having short hair. That has been removed.

The gunman also used an automatic weapon. I am presuming an M16 or an AR-15 (civilian model). It is quite easy to modify an AR-15 to fire fully automatic. The story states that he killed several people, and hit up to 30. Magazine is usually 30 rounds. So he must have changed magazines several times and very quickly. If the story is accurate. After the first shots where fired, you would assume the victims would start to run. Firing a M16 on automatic, and being able to hit a moving target is not easy. You can only fire 5-6 round bursts. Since an M16 is light the recoil pulls it off target. Also hitting moving targets is not easy. This seems to imply that the gunman had some sort of training, or practiced a lot on his own Smiley
Contrast this to Columbine where there where more gunmen, and also was done in a more confined space.

Honestly I do not know what to believe Smiley

Anyway if the gunman was a veteran then he is a product of the "military factory". Basically take any person, stick him in the factory, and comes a killing machine. The military attempts to catch the ones whom they suspect might go bonkers. Solution is to send them to a military mental hospital for a few months. Then give them lots of pills so they stay in a zombie state.

"His" post was mine, quoting his original.  It wasn't very flattering for us Americans but I believe it was spot on - so I agree Wink
Stop the BS about "Americans" or what ever nationality. Perks,NB,ITTO etc are not creating killing machines.
All countries use this method, and it has been perfected over a 3000-4000 year period.
Method is simple. Get guys who are young. 17-20 is the best age. They are easily influenced, and still idealistic at that age.
The military training breaks a man down, the rebuilds it in their image. After boot camp, and basic infantry training, it changes a person. They look the same, but they are different.

"Elite Forces" are the most dangerous. These men do not work for money, but dedication and ideals. There is no other way that a person would be able to put up with the punishment and training that these guys do.

After every major conflict there is a "vietnam syndrom". Bad economics do play a factor in making it worse. If normal unemployment is 10%, unemployment for vets is like 13-14%. These guys are high performers. They need a sense of purpose. When they get dumped on the street, even if they are getting $$$$ from the gov't they need to do meaningful work.

I am a pragmatist. An armed forces is needed for every country. But it should be kept as small as possible.
Also even if you do not support the war in iraq/afgan etc. Remember the people fighting there are someone's children. How would a mother or father feel no longer recognizing thier own child. Never blame the soldier for doing what he is told. He has no choice.

The rest of us are guilty of sleepwalking for comfort's sake.
We all are guilty of that. People love to talk about Hitler and Nazi Germany. But people miss the lesson. Every tyrant in history was put in power by the people. Either by some people actually putting him in power, or by others doing nothing. They always said it can not happen "here", it is "different". Also Palin, Beck etc are not directly to blame. They are a symptom that there is something wrong with the system. They work on hatred, the way to fight hatred is not with more hatred, but with understanding and cooperation.

Still kind of freaked out how the article changed. Like something out of 1984. Also wierd how all the other articles changed on google.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript