The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:44:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A watermark in yet another loss of our freedoms due to technology  (Read 4253 times)
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:14:26 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wh7YGl73JM&feature=geo  :49 second video

its official... your on camera everywhere and what you do on camera
affects the law... he violated his parole/probation because of something
that happened on video submitted by the restaurant owner.... think about
how many cameras are around you and with the instant video conference
like on the nu iPhone, every agent in the matrix is holding one with all the
doohickeys in place for everybody to be streaming video and audio at all time....

gone are the days when you could just moon someone, haul ass and at least hope they didnt
have a cb on channel 9....

circa 1982 monday morning return call:  I was hunting all weekend, checked my msgs late when i got in, what can i help you with?
honey , im stuck in traffic circa 1982:  cant even make the call ... have a few more beers at the bar.
circa 1991: Saturday afternoon, free weekends, 'Hello? Yes, i'll get right on it.'  Turns around on interstate goes to office and works.
honey , im stuck in traffic circa 1991:  .33 cents a minute, hi  im in traffic, be home soon.. (only one beer more tops)
circa 2010: Honey IM stuck in traffic.......see?  NO
cica 2010: im at the office, in a tie working on it.  See.

freedom gone.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »

So your point is that technology has made it more difficult to lie about where you are and what you are doing?  Yes, perhaps we've lost our ability to lie with impunity.  Not so sure that's such a bad thing, most of the lying I've done about such things in my life has ultimately been to my detriment.    Grin
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »

Freedom requires speaking truth to power.  When that moment of truth comes you can say something like: yes, I would rather have beers with truck drivers than come home and listen to you say anything, ever, in any context, uber-period.

Or just claim emphatically that you categorically deny whatever you're accused of  Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:49:46 PM »

Interesting question: is it freedom, to be able to cheat on my wife without her knowing?
Does that make me free?
Is my freedom hampered if i am more likely to be bagged for my indescrections?

One could say that freedom is having the ability to make the choice to not keep my word.
One could also say that how I might be bagged has nothing to do with my freedom.

That said, when the quote was made, "give me liberty or give me death" was there a camera there for the redcoats to watch the spectacle? Would they have been maganimous or met John at the door to his home?   

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:33:15 AM »

Freedom is ability to choose. What you choose is irrelevant.

If the freedom of choice is stripped away with either constant monitoring or by social norms, both are essentially wrong if you want absolute freedom. However most people are willing to live by social norms and by their own moral code. They are willing to give up a piece of their ultimate freedom to improve their quality of life. But if there's cameras everywhere and people start noticing them, I think then it becomes too much. You have to have freedom to choose privacy or else it's all going to hell. It's not about whether you have something to hide, it's about your right to privacy.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:46:19 AM »

well, not just for lying to your wife, but for the sake of privacy... the freedom to assume your not being watched is gone... think about something like a cam-ball...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W7ZIXDnR8Q&feature=related

smaller than a golf ball, rechargeable motion/audio sensing dvr that can go for days waiting and record six hours of video..its just gonna get smaller and with higher scapacity..... so your wife thinks your cheating and slips
one behind the cookie jar...

you call up your friend and just talk shit about her and the fight you had and get it out of your system
then she gets to hear it later and its something youd never tell her... but needed to say to a confidant

they could be anywhere..  and now im not free to assume im alone and... well you probably guess what i
do when im alone...  Jackoff lets just say i can left or right hand mouse now nyuk nyuk ....i mean sometimes, when no ones home you just want to do 'things' that you should feel like wont be on camera and maybe its best to just not be shown but the possibility with this technology brings the paranoia that even in the woods, away from electricty, a camball could bust julia and winston.

its only a matter of time before the govt just slowly creeps things into our lives that can 'voice recognize treason' nor whatever and a runaway federal govt that is currently encroaching on californias states rights to dispense marijuana in state allowed dispensary tells me that they wont stop at anything... and that video about vick was just a small inching step towards total monitoring hes under question for stuff that happened in a private business on their camera...... the line has been crossed since 2000 in va beach oceanfront.  If you are a felon, 'on the list' or registered 'x' a light goes off and it recognizes your face and a little blip comes up on someones screen at the police station.. 

the spy tech out there is real now that something THIS small could be recording you at any time and have
enough batteries and recording time to seriously fuck you and its only a matter of time before this feature creeps its way into our lives like the way unspoken mandatory 'you _have_ to have a cellphone' policy surfaced around 2000.  Soon youll have to have a video phone... there are already cameras on the free giveaway phones... and the tech to stream a picture a second to a 3g tower....

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:37 PM »

Freedom is ability to choose. What you choose is irrelevant.
That basically sums it up Smiley.
Everyone has the ability to make a choice. When you make choices there are consequences.

That said, when the quote was made, "give me liberty or give me death" was there a camera there for the redcoats to watch the spectacle? Would they have been maganimous or met John at the door to his home?
For all intents and purposes there was Smiley. You have to take into account that 200+ years ago most people could not read. There was no TV. So basically the only entertainment you had was to spy on your nieghbors and spread nasty gossip Smiley. Heya sounds kinda like where i live Smiley.

Honestly whinning americans/westerners who complain about freedom make me sick  Vomit
They complain about lack of freedom, but yet they are unwilling to do anything about it.
Something goes wrong, well everyone complains about how come the gov't does not do something about it etc.
Or how come there is not some law etc Smiley

I can not get any accurate statistics, but in PH there appears to be only 110K policemen.
With a population of ~90M that means there is only 1 cop per 880 people.
Also police here do not have fancy equipment like police back home. They have probably 1/10 the vehicles etc.
Granted cops here are allowed to carry much bigger guns like sawed off street sweepers etc, M16 etc.
But on the other hand taxes are much lower Smiley. If you want to get better security you either hire your own armed guards, or basically every nieghborhood has its own security program. When you factor in poverty, the crime rate in PH is probably much lower then USA.
I am not going to argue which system is better.

But for the most part when it comes to crime, people solve their own problems.
For rape victoms, quite often if the police apprehend the rapist, (if the family members of the victom do not get him first), while they are holding the suspect they just let the family members of the victom "visit". It nicely solves the problem of processing paper work, an over crowded court system, what to do with prisoners etc.

Some towns/cities had a drug problem. Vigilante action solved that problem quickly. Suspected drug dealers got a letter that they have 3 days to leave town. If they did not leave town, someone came along and shot them in the head. 1 town solved thier problem of 250+ drug dealers this way.

For me I get along with the locals very well. I leave valuable items in my yard, my doors are never locked. If suspicous people who are not known in the local area come to my house, before I know it. A local is checking them out, asking what are they doing there, where are they from etc.

PH has one of the lowest tax rates in the world. I am not going to say it is a good system.
But Americans (westerners) want to pay PH taxes, but meanwhile have a american style justice system, american style infrastructure etc.
Anyway my 
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »

@voice recognize treason

In 2000 our phone companies willingly and secretly began wiretapping our conversations for George Bush, later formalized as the Patriot Act: Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act.

With about 50% of Americans still believing this was a good idea, we deserve to be locked up for treason.

@nop - good points about wanting our cake and eat it too.  We can't have all the "bad" guys swept under the rug for us and expect to have this done for free.  Here's the ugly truth that we Americans refuse to acknowledge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States.  It speaks for itself.  We're cowards and hypocrites.  We'd rather not have to think about these things and have the audacity to point to places like PH and refer to how "barbaric" you are while classical music and air conditioning keeps us comfortable as we drive our SUVs to the mall and church where we never ask for forgiveness for any of the things we do that actually causes real harm.  We ask forgiveness for having an impure thought about coveting our neighbor's wife's boobies she keeps sticking out there for us to not notice.  Yet we don't ask forgiveness for consciously choosing to ignore that we step on the heads of the less financially fortunate so we can avoid getting our latest pair of red stilettos dirty.  The dinner/terrorism scene in Brazil covers this nicely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcKlDMYnmug.

This may not describe all of us since personally I begin smoldering when I even get near a church  Devilish  But it doesn't matter since I'm here by choice so I'm culpable too. 

But nop consider this.  Since we have by far the largest prison population in the world, in total and per-capita, and we continue to build more prisons to cage this population of "sub-humans," then it's extremely important for us to discuss these things.  It may be annoying for the rest of the world but as you pointed out yourself, you don't really have a large police force and prison system.  If you did, and they just might decide to relocate you into federal prison if they discovered something that was against their rules, I think you'd be more concerned as well.  You may even complain to others and on blogs like these about the legitimacy and fairness of the rules themselves  Idea...

As it stands, you play nicely with others in your neighborhood and it provides relative "security."  Things are a little more evil here in America, yet dressed up in safe puritanism - both hypocrisies that few Americans would admit.

- 2,304,115 were incarcerated in U.S. prisons and jails in 2008 -

Sorry it makes you  Vomit

But this is my own backyard and phaeton brings up a very important thing for us all to consider, at least in the US 

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »

But it doesn't matter since I'm here by choice so I'm culpable too. 
As people seem to forget I am originally from Canada. When people ask if I am Canadian I jokingly reply no. The then say you where born in Canada so therefore you are Canadian. I reply that the concept of nationalities was invented to brainwash people, so therefore I am a member of no nation.

Canada has imposed similar laws to USA etc. Maybe not as bad, or maybe they do not get as much bad PR as USA gets  ROFLMAO.
G20 law gives police sweeping powers to arrest people
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/828367--g20-law-gives-police-sweeping-powers-to-arrest-people

And the bottom line with prisons/police it is big $$$ Smiley

I should get the Brazil movie, it looks like a pretty good movie. But it reveals a very important truth Smiley.
In PH there is an alphabet soup of terrorist organizations. They raise money through activities like kidnapping etc.
Occasionally they set off bombs etc.
But guess what Smiley, for the most part they only attack rich targets etc. No point in kidnapping someone who has no money Smiley.
When they set off bombs, it is against the "dinner party" crowd like in the movie Smiley
The kidnapping/protection racket is a way for them to raise money for their organization. As I have stated before it is amazing how capitalistic these marxist organizations are  ROFLMAO Also they do not like to kidnap people, unless they can pay up $250K+ upward quickly.
Same story when it comes to setting off bombs. They almost never set off a bomb in a public market. Reality is who gives a shit if 100+ poor people are killed. No they set off bombs in luxury malls / neighborhoods. Better to kill / injure 2 rich people rather then 100 poor people.

Bottom line is in USA increased security is a form of welfare for the rich

In PH there are huge "gated communities". The level of security has differs. In the extreme ones, it is easier to get into a soviet block country  ROFLMAO There are hordes of armed guards at the gates. All vehicles are searched before they are allowed in. You must present ID before you are allowed in. If you are a member of this gated community you have to have a community issued ID. All visitors must be verified with the house you are visiting.

A few times I went to one of these type of communities. It was hilarious. It was for your boring socialite party. The parties are huge 150+ guests, everything is catered. And there are huge armies of servants some of them from the catering company. Plus the 10+ maids,drivers, gardeners that each house has. These parties drag on for ages. So after 1/2 an hour I was bored to tears. So I wandered around the yard and talked to all the drivers of the other visiting guests (the drivers stay inside the driver waiting area, often for hours, or else they sleep inside the cars/SUV. Driver is a pretty cushy job). Anyway after a while I got bored with this. So i decided to wander around the gated community. The comical part is the only people who "walk" around are maids/gardeners. So after 5 minutes I was stopped by 2 guards, they could tell from my dress I was not a maid or a gardener. The seemed to be very perplexed that I was walking around. Repeatedly they asked me if my car had broken down. Do I need a ride etc. After I explained, no i just want to "walk". They kind of looked at each other funny, and assumed I have some sort of brain damage. I think this happened like 3 times. Anyway I decided to leave the community to go to the mall I saw close by. So off to the mall I go. Anyway after 2 hours at the mall I decide I better go back. That was comical  ROFLMAO. While I was gone the guard shift had changed. I now get interogated by the new guards. They are looking at me really suspiciously because I am "walking". Eventually they had to ring the house I was visiting and they sent someone down with a car to pick me up and vouch for me  ROFLMAO

Anyway you want to live like that cool. Just don't get my tax payer money to pay for it  ROFLMAO The association dues for these communities are huge. They are calculated by how many sq meters your lot size is in the "subdivision". So an average size house, you are going to be paying $500 per month. The salary of guards is not cheap, depending on the quality of the agency each guard goes thru 3 to 6 months training. Also for every armed guard, a $20K bond has to be posted with the gov't. And i think each guard has to pay a licensing fee to the gov't. This is incase the guard blows someone away  ROFLMAO So the bond will cover the cost of the investigation, compensation to the victom if he was blown away wrongfully etc Smiley. Point I am making is all of this security is funded privately. Unless USA/Canada the rich people pay for what they want Smiley

Me personally I do not like to live like that Smiley. I do have a driver for the main reason I do like to drive. When I leave the car to go to the market etc, I usually give the driver 50 peso and tell him to go buy a snack. Otherwise the driver follows you around like some sort of annoying shadow and tells you not to do stuff because it is "dangerous". Usually with most of the merchants I can get really good deal, my wife is often surprised how cheap I manage to get things Smiley. The trick is to make the vendor laugh, and make lots of noise so you attract a crowd Smiley. So the vendor tells you price is so much. You tell them it is too expensive. You can not afford it because you have no money etc. Vendor replies back everyone knows foriegner has lots of money. You tell vendor, no only americano has lots of money, you are canadian, canadian very poor. Vendor then counters with no she has a cousin who is in canada. The cousin make lots of money. Possibly the vendor will do her own cry cry about how she has to support 5 kids in school etc. You counter with that you have more kids. How you not only have a wife, but 3 mistresses. And now one of the mistresses is pregnant again. And how the wife and mistress always want more money. And then because of all the head ache you get from all these women, what little money you have left over, you spend on brandy. Usually the crowd hoots with laughter, and then the vendor gives you very good price. In the mean time lots of people have crowded around her stand, so they then purchase more of her goods. Also since the foriegner buys from her stand, that must mean her goods are better quality. So i guess I am a form of free advertising Smiley.

Sorry it makes you  :Vomit:
It is not your fault Smiley. How ever people want to live their lives is up to them.
Maybe I am silly wandering around by myself. My attitude is that if I live in a gated community it is like living in a prison.
What annoys me the most is the expats who live in PH and complain constantly.
If they do not like it here, go move somewhere else Smiley
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 10:38:56 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Hilarious post nop!

No time to comment at length.  I'm off to a pin-up girl party with my gf.  Pool tables, seedy bar scene, hot girls and large intimidating Asian/Hispanic guys most white people are terrified of.  I don't know why but they seem to like me and I almost feel safer there than at the mall with the large, nasty, white, Christian soccer mom/baby makers who I'm supposed to feel more comfortable with. 

Damn... 10 maids.  That's totally hot  Grin

* Pin-Up Girl.jpg (46.49 KB, 383x479 - viewed 227 times.)

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »

Pin up party looks awesome!

@nop, imprisonment , and the freedom of information and homeland security acts

Oh yeah the appendages around 9/11 gave any one of boss hogges yokel supplicants
the power to arrest on suspicion.... to pre arrest to prevent a proposed crime... all
that stuff about illegal search and seizure and probable cause is all just a myth and
is glazed over in some football huddle anti terrorist style gestapo shit.

And it seems as though technology may provide freedom to  this guy who was wrongly arrested for
murder, later the restaurants video proved he wasnt the murderer guy and
they [may now] set him free:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/buffalo/article101509.ece

Cliffs Notes:
The extraordinary move by law enforcement to change course after a murder arrest occurred after reviewing video and photos from the scene, and interviews with additional witnesses, Sedita said.

"What basically has happened," Sedita said, "is in the last eight hours ... we got additional video evidence. Investigators called me and said, Frank, you better come down here. We're having serious second thoughts.

"I looked at the evidence, along with four or five detectives, and the commissioner is here as well. There are certain discrepancies of people and clothing."

"I am going to probably ask the court to dismiss so we can continue the investigation, so we can be sure we have the right guy," he said.

Additionally people are being freed after decades in prison because of technology now proving DNA evidence instigated wrongful arrests in r@pe cases.  (for ITTO's benefit I also threw in a r@pe reference.)

So I see how it could be used for the good but what happens when the good turns bad and ugly. I see it happening and can get Nop's fleeing ... id like to add that I think in another decade or so I don't think it will matter when on the earth you are because you are already in the world economy and a netizen of the earthican states of america. *ANY* job that can be outsourced or freelanced on the internet is being done... China makes everything else but if you want to play the world game you have to compete for the same wage with someone starving in $countryname somewhere that will do it for half a bowl of rice and in an hour...

The way i see the future we are all sucking Chinas pole.....  i defy you to manufacture a post to this board without using a chinese product.  Hell, if you have $18k you can buy a human baby from them.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »

all that stuff about illegal search and seizure and probable cause is all just a myth and
is glazed over in some football huddle anti terrorist style gestapo shit.

ROFLMAO  Word.

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:58:32 AM »

Okay normally my stance is talk radio style 'states rights' blah blah blah technology and the internet
seems to have blurred all lines here ... now with technology the small govt can be big

http://www.wtvr.com/news/dp-va--gpstracking-appea0907sep07,0,7510292.story

in a nutshell..

whats next... presumptive arrest for not really believing in nazi propoganda and
not truly loving big brother because your pineal gland was too active?

Electronically they detected from your pee pee that you werent taking the soma
laced flouride tap water.....to keep you under control.

A Va. appeals court ruled today that police can use GPS technology -
without a warrant - to track suspects.

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 11:07:16 AM »

So your point is that technology has made it more difficult to lie about where you are and what you are doing?  Yes, perhaps we've lost our ability to lie with impunity.  Not so sure that's such a bad thing, most of the lying I've done about such things in my life has ultimately been to my detriment.    Grin

Not that i want to lie but that i dont trust the big govt to decide whats good or bad for
me to lie about...

if i can order a pill from mexico that will save my life but is illegal here , technology could
very well easily catch me... i disagree with that.... id like to be able to lie and disguise what
im doing and get away with it because i disagree with a lot of stuff the govt is doing.

Like that pastor that was gonna burn the Quran today...i think he should have the RIGHT
to do it if he wants in the old america i guess he could.  But that would be an outright
act of war broadcasted to the world..

I think its a good thing that the child molester was tracked with technology but what happens when they decide to track me and presumptively arrest me for having left some dna somewhere on a beer bottle that
tested positive for 'self powered thought' and adhd....  Gattaca style....

I just am noting that we all live in the same country now, the internet country and
borders are just lines on a map when the internet can bring floridas preacher man into
haji's living room.... and the technology is just going to get better and better at
peering into our lives... much less the people that blab their private lives freely on
the world wide party lines.

http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/2010/August20/2072.html

they will inspect your trash and fine you.. if you recycle improperly.

the privacy issue here is overwhelming..  Electronic devices will get
better and better at compromising our privacy.... and every roscoe
peco train local nazi trooper will have big government technology
packed power over every citizen.what if they decide that its okay to EMP
blast someone and shut down their lifeline twitter facebook mitote for talking
 'fag talk' in a public forum.....

......connection lost.  Please contact your internet service provider.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »

http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/2010/August20/2072.html
they will inspect your trash and fine you.. if you recycle improperly.

slight OT but this confuses me a little.

I looked at the trash I produce, and frankly, about 50% is recycle stuff.
They are only asking for 10% of the stuff that you put into the recycle bin to be recycleable.
I cant see how it is this even possible to not hit that minimum mark? If i lived there, i wouldnt have to separate out the recycling because my percentage would be over 10% without even making an effort. LOL (though of course I wouldnt do that, but i could)

I think that will backfire. because many people will think like I just did and note make the effort. 10%.... sheesh. I thought the recycling had to have NO crap in it otherwise it gummed up the works and made it less effective.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript