The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:27:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1984 60 years later  (Read 2085 times)
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1192484/60-years-Orwell-wrote-1984-destroyed-book-chilling-reminder-sinister-vision-reality.html
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »

The most chilling thing about his masterpiece was how the populace was so utterly controlled that it had no idea of the control.

Kind of like, um, the sheeple in the US of today.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:07:54 AM »

1984 is the book that orwell is most famous for, but it is probably his worst written book as the article points out.

In a nutshell orwell was an anarchist. But he also had a humorous view on the world in a dark manner.
His first novel Burma days clearly shows this.

His book "Down and out in Paris and London" is very comical in a round about way.
It shows the disgusting manner in which food is prepared in hotels in Paris.
He then comments the higher the price of the food, the more your food has been mishandled.

I think orwell would be amused that we take is work so seriously Smiley.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »

So would Shakespeare (who, as rumor has it, thought his work was essentially pulp fiction) or Tchaikovsky who hated the Nutcracker. I don't think that an artists like or dislike for their work defines its brilliance. Regardless of his intention for the work, it is a potent metaphor of dangerous happenings. And eerily prescient, IMHO.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »

>So would Shakespeare (who, as rumor has it, thought his work was essentially pulp fiction)

One key reason for this is believed to be a result of the fact that he based so much of his work on others and actually copied the work of others, or at least partially.  Shakespeare was perhaps more of a distro than a pure root creator of written works.  Hark!  Let he who hath the courage and fortitude to say nay to historical re-writes and yea to truth eternal come forth and present us with link-proof on this most noble of forums!!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »

Verily and forsooth, I do say unto thee. Deny not the iron bands of capitalism that do vex you thus, embrace the vixen that doth call itself "Apple" and not unlike the beast with two backs, partake upon the fluid of life that is iPad while granting Steve Ceasar that which is his. Thine southern nether portal may never quiver and wink with the same spunk or spritely nature, but the glaze upon thine eyes and the smile, dripped upon ruby lips will surely tell the tale.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »

Verily and forsooth, I do say unto thee. Deny not the iron bands of capitalism that do vex you thus, embrace the vixen that doth call itself "Apple" and not unlike the beast with two backs, partake upon the fluid of life that is iPad while granting Steve Ceasar that which is his. Thine southern nether portal may never quiver and wink with the same spunk or spritely nature, but the glaze upon thine eyes and the smile, dripped upon ruby lips will surely tell the tale.

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Applause

Alas, I rise like a 5 1/2 ft. non-newsworthy tsunami, bequeathing the unbequeathed, for queath's sake, save gaseous misunderstandings of the word, verily I said.  With rug burned and battle proven knees, I defend not my sexual orientation - though nations have fallen in the attempt.  Yet in truth, when yond brown eye same star that's southward from the pole penetrates my very existence I yield to the council of literary masters.  Witness hither sage and soothing prose, for fuck's sake anon:

Peace! break thee off! Look where it comes again!  Quiet, stop! Look itís coming again!

Riddle me hither.  Would it not be creepier to the gods if the last block of text was pure Shakespeare while the rest of mine retardo-rant proved gobblygook?

Yet who am I to deny the truth and valor of such side-splitting humor as the noblest of perks produced?  DMan ye sayeth??  Blasphemy of the darkest order of creeds!  Yet I've butt barely dreamed of Caesar in my most criminally moist and prescient of high Eastern visions, as Caesar hitherto fails to exist in my lifetime. 

Shit what a nightmare!  Oh god, I think I'm sleep posting again.  [Billy Mays here!!!!, with Sleep Blogger AwayTM]

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript