The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:31:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mosaic Cloaking: An Explanation  (Read 9156 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »

I am posting this here and now, because I want to set the record straight before anyone else goes off and tries to poach the term. I’ve been talking about mosaic cloaking in the abstract for quite a while, but the term was actually coined by the Fantomaster himself in September of 2007 when we were having a discussion about it at the Syndk8.

Mosaic Cloaking is essentially componentized IP-Delivery. In other words, you do not cloak the whole page, you cloak portions of it dynamically. In the simplest example, you have a page where you have a blank space. Based on the IP address of the inbound surfer, you may provide keyword rich text, or Adsense, or an affiliate ad. If you do not want Google, for example, to see that you are affiliating for <x vendor> then you might push the code for AdSense out if you sense that it is a Google spider – otherwise you send the affiliate ad.

More interesting mosaic cloaking is sending different javascript, CSS files, or even slightly different components of each that might be used to enhance the “experience” of the surfer, be it a search engine spider or human. Using comments and other tricks, your source files could be exactly the same byte-size as cloaked files, look the same, and only be available in the “spider version” if they came from a validated IP address. It would be extremely difficult to ascertain exactly what was happening, if you were trying to reverse engineer someone’s SEO strategy. Combine that with Google’s Multivariate Testing notions (ie., sending different pages to regular surfers under the guise of market testing) and you have a cloak that is extraordinarily difficult to pierce.

The best mosaics are a combination of surfer experience abstraction, with differing chunks of obfuscated Javascript that has been byte-size balanced, differing CSS external files and IP delivered from the same place dynamically based on a proven spider database such as the Fantomas spiderSpy product.

And now at least, the record is straight. Wink
/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:58:53 PM »

Gad, I love it when you talk dirty.

All this time I thought Mosaic Cloaking played for the Celtics.

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »

He does, traded from the Lakers in '04.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:49:20 AM »

You and Fanto are in the wikipedia article about cloaking, you famous bastards, you!

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:43:03 PM »

ROFLMAO I wonder how that got there?

Roll Eyes

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:50:41 PM »

Lol perk

I need to do that for smartest human...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:53:07 PM »

hehe

weeman212
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »

Just wondering, what is the significance of byte-size balancing the source files and the cloaked files?

Has it got anything to do with google toolbar perhaps?

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 01:03:48 PM »

It's another way to hide from hunters. The more you can make your page look identical to what's in the cache, the better.

thedarkness
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »

Lol perk

I need to do that for smartest human...

Thanks, but I'll do it myself  ROFLMAO

ROFLMAO I wonder how that got there?

Roll Eyes

Don't be coy perk, fess up, you wrote it didn't you?

So that's Fanto huh? Not exactly "Mr. Averge" is he?

Cheers,
td

"I want to be the guy my dog thinks I am."
 - Unknown
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »

Don't be coy perk, fess up, you wrote it didn't you?

Wha?? How dare you!  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

m0nkeymafia
Expert

Check it!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 10:11:58 AM »

I strangely want to do this, but for no other reason than to do it lol

I am Tyler Durden
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »

If you can do it, how you perceive "page delivery" will change forever. An excellent exercise even for a pure WH (not saying you are).

DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »

This technique can be as valuable for obfuscating competetive intelligence as anything else imo, a powerful technique.

DM
m0nkeymafia
Expert

Check it!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 03:23:59 AM »

To be honest I'm probably the whitest guy here.. but.. even for me your right it gets the mind thinking.
For example if you could quite cleverly design your site to only load a hardcore SEO "shell", from which everything fancy gets loaded in via ajax or javascript.  This is technically not cloaking, but delivering different content by limiting who can load the extra stuff.

Its funny as what I have just described is basically cloaking, but no one would think twice about loading extras using ajax [which google wont read / load], yet if they did this using php it would be called cloaking...

It'd be pretty sweet if you could build it into your core framework, so that you could flag certain sections as being dynamic etc, and the framwork would decide what to use, how to load it, etc, based on the user / client.  IT could then pad out css files itself to make them the same size etc.

Cool ^_^

I am Tyler Durden
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript