The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google's new algo affects content farms ...  (Read 3799 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »

Check it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/feb/28/google-changes-sites-affected

May affect some of y'all. A drag for those that have spent a *lot* of time and/or money to rank using this mechanism.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »

Thankfully i have stuck to pure spamming, link farms, and crappy stolen content. Google loves it!  ROFLMAO

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »

I've always disliked the SEO rat race.  People trying to game the system then getting pissed when the system down ranks them.  Or even people not trying to game the system, per se, but trying to maximize their ranking by tailoring everything they do to what currently provides the best ranking.

The best ranking comes when you either continually nutballs the system and have to change course when the rules change, or when you actually develop a customer/client base who really want to follow you because you really provide services of value - not because you slipped in front of more eyeballs with trickery.  This practice is about as appealing to me as junk mail 

Besides, when others get ranked down such as our beloved Cult of Mac, others get ranked up.  Those who benefit from this are supposed to be the ones providing more actual, current, real information, products and services.  If Google had their way a long time ago they would have magically enforced that their search engine provided what the people were actually looking for, not what the spammers and black-hat tricksters wanted to shove in front of their faces to get rich quickly and easily. 

And yes, this comes with collateral damage since no search engine is perfect.  And also yes, Google dictates these things with dictatorial impunity which I'm sure pisses off untold masses of people.... people who are playing the SEO game heavily that is  Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:43:08 PM »

For "technical information" google is probably the number 1 traffic source.
For shit like "opinion" I would say social networks probably give more sources.
Problem with social networks hard to measure.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:08:31 PM »

The Google struggle has been an uncomfortable, adversarial relationship with information providers almost since the iDawnOfTime. We were smacked a couple times during algo changes that took us from up at the top to nowhere to be seen. I agree that if you rely 100% on Google for your traffic (ergo your primary revenue stream) you're asking for pain. But on the flip side, there are lots of solid businesses that have been built around the notion of search and it pissed me off that Google has such utter control of people's livelihood.

In about 2006, mid-December, Google decided it didn't like the way we presented our pages for one of our websites. Not spam, not AdSense pages, not miscellaneous content crap. Good stuff that provided a real benefit to cancer patients. We dropped 92% in traffic over the course of 3 days. The business was over. Essentially, because Google didn't like something, that business went tits up (it didn't, actually, it has maintained on a shoestring since then but it has never been prominent as it was). Where we went from donating on the order of about 60K/year to local breast cancer services, we're lucky if it's 2-5K now. It is difficult to find a way towards a silver lining for that business, other than it was a call to action for PinkHat and myself to get out.

The worst part is that there is no appeal process, no contact help line, not much at all that can really be used to fight your case - there's just too much for the Googleoids to do (As it happened, Matt Cutts was at a black hat function in Vegas a couple years ago and he recognized my nick. I plead my case and we were reinstated the next day).

I don't mind the struggle, I don't mind the dance. I don't mind the competition. But it's similar to the yellow pages saying, after you've already purchased your ad, that now things are going to be sorted by the digits in your address rather than your corporate name. No warning, no ruleset, nothing.

Pisses me off.  Angry

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »

I've was involved in seo before Altavista was a twinkle in Louis Monier's eye.  Actually, it was more like "directory optimization" in the earliest days of the biz.  From day one, my optimization techniques have always given heavy weighting to what I felt would be the likely future high-corporate-level decisions regarding what would be listed --or, more to the point, what would eventually be rejected.  Sometimes, this meant walking away from highly effective blackhat techniques for no other reason than they were highly effective and there was no doubt that in the long term the se's would have to make an effort to tune them out of the serps.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »

Sometimes, this meant walking away from highly effective blackhat techniques for no other reason than they were highly effective and there was no doubt that in the long term the se's would have to make an effort to tune them out of the serps.

Idea... 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript