The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 06:57:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CSS 3 ?  (Read 6364 times)
sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2008, 11:47:05 AM »

fx 3.1b2 is using css 3 and somethings im doing do not work  Need Help i'm new at this so any help from any one would be nice (i'm at the bottom)

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »

CSS is a troublingly inconsistent protocol across browsers, so you'll need to be a bit more specific about your troubles than that.

I've spent the last year making the long pilgrimage from table-based HTML to CSS and XHTMLy sites, so I can be of considerable assistance, although I'd not even call myself a journeyman yet.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:42:36 PM »

When dealing with CSS in general, keep in mind that punching yourself in the face repeatedly will give you about the same feelings.

CSS can be great, but often is teh suk.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 02:23:25 PM »

I've made it a point to best it this year and am proceeding nicely. There are still times when a swift kick to the balls is more pleasant, but for the most part it's down to the equivalent of pulling nose hairs. Ah, progress!

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
e_d
Rookie

Buckets of rain, buckets of tears...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »

I'm not sure about your exact problem but often in CSS simply using whats called a "normalizer" can help you overcome many problems with cross browser compatability. Often times IE or firefox or whatever will have a default width or height or padding or whatever applied to certain elements. A normalizer basically resets all of these elements and allows you to make most browsers treat things the same. This is the method that many popular web portals (like Yahoo!) use to ensure their website will not break on most browsers but they also use CSS...Anyways here is an example one for you:

http://www.jessehaley.com/normalizer.html

There are others (I saw a list of them the other day on reddit and a comparison article, cant find it ATM )...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »

That's a rather cool notion e_d - an interesting way to set the baseline for all CSS elements.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »

my ghetto normalizer is:

*{font-size:10px;padding:0;margin:0;font-family:verdana;text-align:left;}

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »

HTML monkeys are pretty cheap.

I couldn't be paid enough to touch a lick of UI code.

Well, that's not entirely true. I must do it from time to time at my day job. I only need to know enough to be dangerous though. Anything more than a quick hack job, and it's all someone else's problem.

hai
sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 10:45:07 PM »

/* Make inactive tabs partially transparent */
#content tab:not([selected="true"]) { -moz-opacity: 0.7 !important; }
/*make inactive tabs narrower*/
#content tab:not([selected="true"]) { min-width: 180px !important; }
here is an example of what used to work and now does not javascript:void(0); (worked in fx3.0.3 now have 3.1b2) and i've only been doing this for a month or so and well I have a long way to go its been a long time since i had a computer to mess with no more "goto line 10" i suppose

DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 07:23:15 AM »

I've started using CSS frameworks such as YAML to solve such problems - they're a little heavy in terms of how much code is needed but they help no end with cross browser compatibility, and ensuring accessibility.

I find using a framework takes a 'developers' approach to CSS, rather than a designers - emphasis is on structure rather than pretty colours.

DM
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:01:27 AM »

The answer (IMO) to realistic CSS usage today is to not use advanced CSS3 capabilities, nor frameworks (sorry DM). The answer is a strong and deep knowledge of CSS2 and hand-rolled code, so that you're really in control. I don't see many high-end sites that use the features of CSS3 at all, because it just isn't supported consistently enough. Here, for example: http://www.css3.info/modules/selector-compat/ is a chart that shows the horrible lack of support for CSS3 selectors. It's a minefield mang, and you're gonna hate trying to fight it out - unless you don't care about browser compatibility and you can enforce which browsers use your application.

sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 09:24:52 AM »

;Dthank you for the info guys i'm going on a business trip today so I will be offline a day or so gives me time to study thank you for being so helpful

DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »

The answer (IMO) to realistic CSS usage today is to not use advanced CSS3 capabilities, nor frameworks (sorry DM). The answer is a strong and deep knowledge of CSS2 and hand-rolled code, so that you're really in control.

I couldnt agree more really - in the long run that approach will be more efficient and effective, bring performance gains both in technical terms and the speed at which you can develop. I just find that CSS is just another thing on my big list of things to master, and at the moment its prioritised lower.

DM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript