Print  
Author Topic: Woop  (Read 2567 times)
m0nkeymafia
Expert

Check it!

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2007, 04:05:46 PM »

Im bored so ill write a little C++ story lol
where I work we write everything in house, as such we have our own XML parser [its well sexy and uses templates to take in data and streams to parse in and out to file or string] we use multimaps for lots of stuff as its easier when indexing via strings etc.
when we create an xml node we clear the multimaps just out of good coding practice. someone else came to use it and thought it was slow [it took 15 seconds to load a 1mb xml file in debug] so we had a poke around and juyst by removing the clears [even though the maps were empty] it sped things up 5x.

the moral of the story is, things like that are good coding style, initalising variables and so forth, but for maps and stl containers you dont need to, and will save a lot of processing power and time if you dont.  if you use them heavily it might be worth while experimenting

all our apps are time and memory critical ... you should see what we fit into a 10mb app [seriously itll blow your mind]

I am Tyler Durden
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 04:18:06 PM »

It never stops to amaze me how simple refactoring and analysis of prior code can speed things up...
or that even a one line program eventually gets dusty and breaks.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript