The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 07:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Run nop!  (Read 4385 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:01:11 AM »

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/11/134446769/tsunami-warning-wides-to-include-hawaii

Hope you're not on the waterfront.

In the Philippines, officials ordered an evacuation of coastal communities along the country's eastern seaboard in expectation of a tsunami following the 8.9-magnitude earthquake in Japan.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:59:09 AM »

I am. But my beach is sheltered.
Anyway we have not been ordered to evacuate yet.
Some places in the northern parts facing japan have been ordered to evacuate.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:16:22 AM »

Best wishes for you and your family, Nop.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:01:59 AM »

Odd coincidence to my comment about tsunamis yesterday to perk. Anyway pacific has ts sensors, so they usually have a good idea.

Nop, just remember, protected doesnt matter. It's not a wave that gets blocked by land. It's more like a sudden rise in sea level.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:00:43 AM »

This one's 5 miles thick worth of potentially 7' rise. Even SoCal may see 1-3' rise.

The images coming out of Japan are horrifying ... as bad as any disaster movie.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:16:49 AM »

Hey wait, I forgot - best wishes to you, Bompa, as well - I don't recall how close to the ocean you are, but I hope you are high, dry, safe and sound.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »

Thanks Smiley
The waves that hit the Philippines on the parts that where perpendicular to japan where like only 0.3-5 meter.

Also since the last disaster 7 years ago people are a lot better prepared.

Talking to the locals, where I am. An earth quake in the 1990s struck fairly close by. 3 waves came which where at least 2-3 meters high. Luckily no one was killed.

Protected helps a little bit NB Smiley When a typhoon comes the sea can "surge" like 1-2 meters. And if there is an extremely high tide it will make the problem more serious. Very complicated.

Being prepared is very important. Biggest problem is people are living where they are not supposed to live. So even with typhoons, there are now a lot less casualties now because they are forcing these people to evacuated etc.

Anyway all good Smiley
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »

Glad to hear it nop.  Seeing how the "ring of fire" has been rather active lately, and since I'm at the tip of it in San Francisco, I might be next. 

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »

@ITTO
Make sure you live in a new building that is constructed properly.
It makes a big difference.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »

Protected helps a little bit NB Smiley When a typhoon comes the sea can "surge" like 1-2 meters. And if there is an extremely high tide it will make the problem more serious. Very complicated.

of course. I know. I just tend to make sure that people are aware of the possibility they are not aware of the "reality" of whats going on. Figured you did, since you been there for a long time, but never know.

Like the people who stand on a beach, and go "oooh looky, low tide is out really far right now, I can see coral!"

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »

of course. I know. I just tend to make sure that people are aware of the possibility they are not aware of the "reality" of whats going on. Figured you did, since you been there for a long time, but never know.

Like the people who stand on a beach, and go "oooh looky, low tide is out really far right now, I can see coral!"
You would be surprised NB Smiley
I might come across as arrogant, but I am "open minded" as in if you present me with a new idea, and you have evidence, I will change my mind.
I am not sure how many stupid expats I come across who have been here for like 2-3x as long as I have, but may as well arrived yesterday.

I see some stupid expat constructing a house. I tell him you will flood there, life the house by 1 meter.
He then tells me, I have been here XX years etc. And gets mad at me.
When the house floods, he then complains about improper drainage.
Dude when it rains 30-50 cm in 24 hours, it does not matter how good the drainage is Smiley
Usually I just let expats do stupid shit now, and then laugh at them with the locals when they get themselves in shit Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »

Stupid expats are one of our best exports ATM.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »

@ITTO
Make sure you live in a new building that is constructed properly.
It makes a big difference.

Nothing is new here, but most everything has been reinforced and/or rebuilt.  The building I'm in was originally built in 1929 and survived every earthquake since - including the 1989 disaster.  Since 1906 (the worst quake on record here) things have primarily been rebuilt with maximum earthquake protection in mind.  Of course some public structures failed to gain enough state funding to reinforce and earthquake proof them.  Thanks again prop 13!  The Nimitz freeway appreciates your support  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript