The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 06:05:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: @perkiset  (Read 7434 times)
sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:51:01 PM »

hello there sparky, I've been reading for a few days and require some "hands on" any programs you may recomend? I'm getting a little overwhelmed with this stuff prehaps I need to back up a bit thank you for the chart it has helped me  Grin

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:02:36 AM »

Hey man - you've taking a metric shitload of new knowings on all at the same time. Let's focus on a couple easily chewable pieces. Can you post what you're trying to do both strategically and tactically and we can take a swipe at helping out? You may PM me if you need to keep something more private...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:41:13 AM »

that's the thing I haven't evan got to the point of starting a project yet at the moment i'm just writing simple scripts to say "make youtube black" or remove or collapse things on my tool bar as I said I'm truly JUST STARTING people I know say I've come a long may in the 4 months since I got this computer but devry or itt tech are not for me I understand most of the vary basics and I guess I just need somewhere to go from here people below my level are little help and most above my level will not even talk with me about anything but I think end game is the same as every one on here or syndic8

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »

that's the essence of the problem then.

You will neither retain nor build a sense of context for the facts you are learning without a clear project/goal.

Let's start simply: can you deploy a website? I'm talking straight up, no frills HTML? Do you have a server with which to do this?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

sorry this reply is late I just got to my location for my trip no I do not have a server I want to do some kind of project I do not know where to begin?  D'oh! as I've said I am about as green as they come if this is more then you would like to take on I won't be offended I'm in that middle ground that no one want's to deal with in short I am still working from books and reading things but I learn fast 

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:18:09 PM »

sorry this reply is late I just got to my location for my trip
Hope the trip goes well...

no I do not have a server I want to do some kind of project I do not know where to begin?  D'oh! as I've said I am about as green as they come if this is more then you would like to take on I won't be offended
Absolutely not. We'll just take it step by step. This is not a short process in any case, but we'll get you rocking pretty quickly. I'm off for the evening, I'll mark this thread to weigh in on first steps tomorrow.

sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:32:07 PM »

thank you so much!! I'm on the east coast so eastern time and I work alot on these trips but I will read the posts and again thanx so much

jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »

Sparky ... not to stick my nose in here or anything, but I thought a bit of background on Perkiset might help.

I knew him back when he was a Looper ("you know, pro jock")  in the 80's.  He used to design and teach computer classes - so you're in very capable AND willing hands here.

Enjoy and I forgot to welcome you to the Cache!  Sorry ... no hijack intended.  Resume party ...

btw - great name  Smiley

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »

LOOPER!  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

(Thanks JA)

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:14:26 AM »

I was gonna say that perkiset taught me too but i wouldnt want to degrade his name..

...OOPS!

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:16:56 AM by jammaster82 » Logged

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 06:27:07 AM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 09:05:29 AM »

sorry this reply is late I just got to my location for my trip no I do not have a server I want to do some kind of project I do not know where to begin?  D'oh!

Sparky,

I think a good beginning point might be to get your own server.  A few options are available.  You could sign up for hosting there are some really cheap ones out there that offer complete LAMP Setup with 24/7 techie to reboot you if necessary - unlimited traffic, domain hosting and storage space for under 8-10$ a month.

http://www.top10webhosting.com/

However you will want your own server setup so that you can point the finger at the webhost and know that your code runs correctly and under what configuration, should the need arise.  A second test environment is powerfully useful.

This also leaves you with a few choices.  What O/S Are you working with?

If you are on windows a real easy way is with wampserver:

http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.php

Additionally with OSX its even easier:

http://www.mamp.info/en/index.php

Later on you might want to compile it all yourself and be even more sure of exactly what you get but you can click next and get one of those two running

If your running ubuntu vs has posted here about how to get it running on there:

http://www.perkiset.org/forum/nuix_osx/installing_lamp_on_ubuntu-t965.0.html

Then I would recommend installing wordpress:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress

And just start goofing around with the CSS and try to blog every
day for discipline until you can think up an application you might
like to try and write.

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »

I checked out the web hosting one question- I have nothing to upload yet my domain is parked at the moment I also have a domain with AOL that I would like to get released from them (if possable) I use windows currently but I am looking to go with linux and use this computer as a test computer word press I can install right away I will shop the web hosting tonight and try to find one I like not sure if I will sign up at the moment but will do so when I (kind of) find what I'm looking for thank you again

sparkythewondersquid
Rookie

crax was' goood

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »

D'oh! I guess I have to set up the web host to get word press

jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »

@jmm - "huh huh, huh huh huh, ... you said Mamp!"   (Butthead impersonation here)

Don't let Perkiset know you recommended that    I've actually been using it for a few years on my Mac and I love it!  The only issue I ever had with it was working with Perkiset over lunch one day to try and implement some goofy .htaccess stuff, and with him at the helm of my MacBook he condemned it hell and said "come on, man!  Roll your own for God's sake!"   Smiley

Squid - While I do indeed rmo on my Linux box, I have to echo JMM here and say I absolutely love and highly recommend MAMP/WAMP if that's your poison.  Especially if you need to spend more time coding and less time screwing around with servers and such ... at least in the beginning.

-ja

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript