The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:12:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dojo JS framework, anyone have experience with it?  (Read 2817 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:24:19 PM »

I've been looking into Dojo from a high-level and it looks really nice.  Does anyone at the Cache have experience with it?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just "I've heard good things" or "I've heard it's terrible."

Also, is Dojo something separate from JQuery or are they blended together/part of one or the other?

Thanks Cache!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »

I know just a millimeter north of squat, which is to say that a few people I trust (from a coding perspective) have passed on it and chosen jQuery. Although I honestly cannot even tell you if Dojo is built on jQuery or whatever, just some slightly turned up noses or mild grimaces and "yeah, I looked at that and didn't care for it."

Other than that, Popcorn

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:48:29 PM »

That's something at least - thanks perks!  I believe dangermouse is a fan, based on a post I found earlier, but otherwise not much being said about it.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »

I have only heard bad things about Dojo but I don't have any experience with it. Most of the people who have said bad things are always saying that go with jQuery if you can.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »

Thx kurdt.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »

jquery is used by the ruby crowd,
while generally speaking dojo is used by the python crowd.
Ok changing now, but that is the way it used to be Smiley

I looked at it ages ago.
As a result dojo is heavily influenced by python, if i remember correctly is was developed by python coders.

For dojo, you have to use their method of declaring classes. It attempts to make thier classes "python like".
It is almost a full fledged framework. It intrudes heavily into the JS.
If it was a huge project, it might be a good idea, but for most things it is just overkill.

In comparison jquery is basically a "cross platform library". It is a very thin library.
Also jquery can be run in its own namespace so it plays nice with other libraries.

IMHO you are better off to use jquery and js prototype method of "classes".
As me and perks discussed, there are numerous ways of implementing a class system.
Unfortunately people only know the "C++" method of classes, and think it is the correct way.
Get perks to explain how prototype "classes" work Smiley
(i put "classes" in "" because prototype system does not really have classes, you basically just have objects and are "cloning" them).

From a speed perspective a prototype object system is much faster, simpler to implement, and more flexable.
That is why JS used a prototype system.
Under the hood, the "window class" does not exist. There is a "master window object", when the browser creates a new window.
It will clone (copy) that master window object. Then at runtime it adds the extra methods for the cloned window.
This is much quicker. And more flexible.

Anyway my 2 cents.
DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »

I've made quite a bit of use of the Dojo framework, and would agree with most of Nop's comments. Dojo tries to bring a stricter OO approach to JS, without giving up its flexibility. Its got one of the best event and data storage frameworks available imo. The JSON RPC data stores are really awsome.

The major difference with jQuery is the level its pitched at - Dojo is orientated towards people who like stucture and design patterns, i.e. programmers, where as jQuery focuses on designers. This is not to say that you can't achieve similar paradigms with jQuery, or that it is "more basic" - I'm sure this isn't the case - it's more that the orientation and priorities are different.

The biggest problem with Dojo is that the community is really small, as a result its slower to develop and more difficult to find examples to work with.

Zend Framework, which is often percieved as over engineered by some, elected to incorporate the Dojo framework as its default JS lib - maybe that can be seen as an indicator of its focus.

DM
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »

ty nop, dm!  Nothing quite as responsive and valuable as the Cache for these things.

Here's my return gift Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript