The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 06:19:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: for love of all that is holy, i can't decide  (Read 8189 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »

for fucks sake. This is not like the most important decision of my life.

i can't decide...

asp.net or PHP.

I already headed down the PHP route a bit, and felt that it was not much of a change from what I have been doing in classicASP. I figured, well, maybe I should do ASP.net since it could offer a bigger wow factor to clients or that future job. its a fact .net has more wow with corp america than php so dont argue with me on it. Smiley

but after I had told perk i think Im gonna bail on php, i am now having second thoughts. why is this? FUCK!!!!

ugh. can I just stop being a programmer now...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »

Leaving Delphi. Kylix and C++ was the toughest decision I think I've made in a dozen years.

As you know, I was afraid for the future of my framework, so I looked at a Java/EJB sort of thing, PHP/JS/Ajax and very briefly, dotNyet. Although the conversion took me some time, the long term ROI on my PHP/JS/Ajax decision (particularly in terms of clients and my ability to move really fast) has been incredibly well paid back.

You are, of course, immensely capable and will make ObjectADA or Fortran Ver2,798,135 sing for you. But there is something to be said for taking the Advil and new lingo route. Especially with what you and I were talking about client-wise a few hours ago.

IMO if you consider yourself less coder and more glue/adapter and make big use of code that's already out there, I think you will extend your capabilities and efficiency quite a bit. PHP is just a fucking language. It's nothing. But there's a TREMENDOUS amount of it out there. Just the base alone for SMF, WP, phpCollab and phpMyAdmin is amazing. If you chop, retool and retask I think you'll find that your capability to perform for clients will be greatly enhanced, and your ability to take more on and get it all done will be there as well.

Hey man... soon she'll be asking for a new car and private school. Best make this decision right quick... Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »

bah. she's making more per month off her blog than I am off mine, and she can't even eat solid food yet... go figure.

i think my issue is revolving around 2 things.
lack of enthusiasm (because I know I HAVE to do it).
lack of a framework/pattern that is solid for me to work within.

the first, i just need to get past, pure willpower.
the later though, i guess I just need to sit down and create my pattern, and just start using it.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 06:07:39 PM »

lack of enthusiasm (because I know I HAVE to do it).
lack of a framework/pattern that is solid for me to work within.
Completely get it.

Ping if I can help.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »

Speaking of this TREMENDOUS amount out there..

where is there?  specifically, login/session stuff
to hork?    Devilish

Where are some recommended php suppositories?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:24:33 PM by jammaster82 » Logged

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:10:21 PM »

Where are some recommended php suppositories?

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
Freudian slip my friend? Are you afraid that PHP is about to do you in the pooter? I think you meant "Repositories..."

Anyhoo, as I mention to NBs, good place to start is to download SMF (the software that runs this board) but it is pretty big... phpCollab would be a good framework to start with because it offers sessions, cookies, a menu system - it'll look pretty ugly at first but it will teach you a lot. WordPress is a charlie foxtrot, stay the hell away from that for a while.

If you have specific stuff you need, PM me and I'll see what I have laying about...

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 08:11:09 AM »

hmmm. i think there was a movie (maybe just a sitcom skit) where you learned stuff by suppository.
College was kinda like that for me.
I felt uncomfortable.
I felt dirty.
It made me shit alot.

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »

I had one thing on my sex with my mother and said another.... ROFLMAO

Thanks ill check it out...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 09:04:26 AM by jammaster82 » Logged

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 09:12:27 AM »

neither. python.
take a look at django.
vbscript syntax to python is not a huge leap.
you can develop very quickly with django. it is quite fast compared to other frameworks, including php ones like cake or symphony.
the toughest thing would probably be installing it.
Indica
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 04:23:52 AM »

neither. python.
take a look at django.
vbscript syntax to python is not a huge leap.
you can develop very quickly with django. it is quite fast compared to other frameworks, including php ones like cake or symphony.
the toughest thing would probably be installing it.

what about codeigniter (php)? i've been using it for a few sites and its been speeding up development tremendously

nb: what'd you decide? i'm in a similar predicament
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:49:01 AM »

lisp form large projects, scheme for small
if you have the big $$$ get http://www.franz.com/
you looking at $10K per compiler per OS

lisp is the mother of all languages
you can connect to a lisp machine at runtime, recompile it, and modify the object at runtime Smiley
also in most lisps it is compiled directly into machine language so in worst case ussually only 2x slower then C

lisp is a framework it is a compiler it is a language it is everything  ROFLMAO
Indica
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 05:12:17 AM »

damnit nop  D'oh! D'oh! ROFLMAO

ps: sorry for bumping a few month old post. almost 9am here and i'm flu positive  Vomit
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 05:37:11 AM »

hmmm same as ussual here
hot and hotter Smiley
hope u get better soon

playing with continuations
http://www.dirtyhack.org/vetler/blog/?p=25
continuations are unique to scheme, but thanx to lisp's macros they can be implemented in lisp
(prime example why other languages pale Smiley)

in above example he is using continuation for a python like iterator
but if u are smart, you can use it with multicurl in curl libary
and have multiple sockets on one thread, but yet program it the same way you would program simple curl with perform.
or they are used for continuation based web frameworks

when i finish my new engine if i may publish article on it.

php,python,perl they are all the same
perl stands out in that it is much more flexable then python/php etc
Higher-Order Perl http://hop.perl.plover.com/
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »

@indica i decided on PHP and built my own "loose" framework. I dont like using other peoples frameworks, it kinda freaks me out a bit. THough I do like poaching other peoples code/classes/functions, like perks webrequest class.

.net is great, but, i just decided that PHP fit more with my goals currently. it was mostly a matter of frustration. Im sure another day it would have been .net that won out. I probably will revisit it at some point, but currently php is the winner. they both have their problems though.

though like perk would say, .net is a framework, php is a language. so the two are not the same. That might be why I didn't like .net, because of the boxes I was being put into by the framework. C# however was nice, basically like php but with a little less silliness like actually using a DOT instead of this stupid ass thing arrow ->

overall, .net was going to win because of the ability to make executables, but then i realized I dont really ever want to make an executable. I want my stuff to be web based.

I have said this before. lisp makes the baby jesus cry with all the ((((())()()()()()))))))()()()))

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 09:42:55 AM »

Lots of
Irritating
Single
Parens

=

LISP

hai
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript