The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 16, 2019, 04:52:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: which install would you go with? linux tard  (Read 6359 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »

here are my choices. the first one is what they support out of the box so Im guessing thats the best "stuff is broken please help me" choice.

however. I dont care about that, because I can just call Perk incesantly until he either helps or changes his phone number.

So... which would you choose and why?
Purely going to be a LAMP setup, nothing more. Only going to host websites and need to send outbound emails, thats it.

CentOS 5 with Plesk 8.3 (64Bit)
Fedora Core 6 with Plesk 8.2 (64 bit)
SUSE 10.2 with Plesk 8.2 (64 bit)
CentOS 5 minimal system (64 bit)
SuSE-10.3 minimal system (64Bit)
SUSE 10.2 minimal system (64 bit)
Fedora Core 8 minimal system (64 bit)
Fedora Core 6 minimal system (64 bit)
Debian 4.0 (etch) minimal system (64 bit)
Ubuntu 6.06 minimal system (64 bit)

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:28:58 PM »

What's funny is that it almost makes no difference.

The kernel in all of those cases will be the same, so it's all about GUI and dir layout. If you SSH like me, then it is a trivial decision really.

Personally I'm all Fedora Core, but only because that's the first Linux I started with and have stayed there. I use Plesk on one of my servers where clients need access to mail, but other than that it's a wash.

Only Caveat: compiling some stuff for 64 bit can be problematic. I've posted here about compiling Apache for 64 bit and it's not terribly difficult, but it is bad to look at and feels yucky. If they can do the LAMP work for you, that's a plus. BUT: I'd ask them to build the components (Apache, MySQL and PHP) in directories under /usr/local/installs (/php, /mysql, /httpd) so that you have access to recompile them in the future easily. I always make my own configuration file (configure.ep) which calls the real configuration file with all the options that I want, so that in the future if I've forgotten something or want to make a chance, I modify the configure.ep file, configure. make and make install. If they build your components into directories that you can work with later then you'll have the most flexible box.

Ping or call if you need more...

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »

cool, thats what I figured, so frankly i will probably go with their default install unless the Dir are wonky.

I am pretty sure they are all images with LAMP already fully installed and running.

Im sure I will have questions. I am ditching Mosso, because although i really like the idea of a grid computer, they are changing the pricing to something unacceptable. so, its back to ded.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:15:10 PM »

Cool. And Dedi is the way man. I've killed my cloud stuff and gone back to all my own machines. Just feels better.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:32:26 PM »

bah changed my mind. going with fedora core 8, minimal install. hopefully it has LAMP already configured but if not at least then it will be minimal... lol

arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:38:59 PM »

i would probably go with debian or ubuntu myself, but only because i'm familiar with the package management.
but i see more hosts supporting centos and fedora, so that would be my next choice.

i'm curious perk, why compile? isn't apache installed or available in the repositories (shit does fedora have that?).
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 07:16:02 PM »

Im curious as well, Perk.. What do you mean by 'cloud stuff' ?

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »

he means cloud computing, and probably means it in a general sense. like being hosted on some machine out in the "cloud". A shared server is part of the "internet cloud".

I actually am hosting with mosso, which is a grid/cloud/cluster. So I just pay for service, and the "computer" grows with me.
the problem is that 1 of my projects really borks their calculation, and really burn up the cycles, even though in reality i probably could run it on a freakin commodore64. Lots of requests, but very little overhead.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »

CentOS. There are few OSes I trust enough to host my websites on. I use Ubuntu, Gentoo, and Fedora for tons of stuff - desktops, file servers or routers, etc. For web hosting, I would go (Free)BSD or CentOS, and if the host is missing both of those options, he's missing my business too Smiley

Get CentOS 5 if possible.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 01:39:18 AM »

@ cloud
Nuts is right about my use of "cloud" - I tried some cluster stuff but I didn't like it. Amazon calls it the cloud, but it's the same thing. $/cycle sort of stuff.

@ compile -
I've just always been that way. Yes, I can go get executables, but if I decide to tweak (yeah, like that ever happens Roll Eyes every damn system I have is tweaked) then I'll need to reconfigure, in which case it's better to understand the whole cycle and as such, I decided long ago that source->configure->make->make install was the best plan for me.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 02:18:17 AM »

Have it match what ever version of linux u are running on desktop.
That way it cuts down on debugging time a lot.

I don't follow that rule, since i compile, but then again i do not run lamp.
But it kinda applies, since the versions of the libs i complile on desktop are same as on server.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 06:18:06 AM »

wait? you mean to tell me I can run linux on my desktop? But i have this vista thing that wont let me leave? This is heresy.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 09:17:53 AM »

Get Gentoo man. Especially if you have a 64 bit processor. Go through the installation process to compile the kernel natively on your 64-bit machine and it will SCREAM

hai
dimitry12
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 10:33:54 AM »

debian is the best  Grin
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »

ubuntu is the easiest.
and it based on debian.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript