The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 11:14:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux News says Google will try to "flatten iPad with Android based device"  (Read 3254 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »

Here's where the world is missing it thus far:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Google-May-Engage-Android-to-Flatten-the-iPad-69748.html?wlc=1271186670

"[paraphrased] Google needs to out-Apple Apple and produce a device that is more computer like, less focused on content delivery."

In the article they say that the iPad is hard to work on for content creation, and that Google via Android is going to fix that. Simple question: How? The primary handicap with this form factor is a keyboard and mouse. If you keep the on-screen keyboard and touch-instead-of-mouse interface, then what are you really doing to help? Regardless of your position on Apple, I think it is reasonably fair to say that when it comes to ease of use, they are definitely at the top of the list, if not the epitome. How are you going to make that form factor easier to use? You're not.

People are going to claim that the iPad needs to be more ... and I say, nope. The more I use it, the more I realize how perfectly the scope of the OS and software is built for the capabilities of the form factor. Could you connect an external keyboard and mouse to it, then get a docking station and have an external monitor? Sure. What's the point? If you want that much juice, you're not going to get it in a device that small.

This is classic old-school tech thinking. More features == better. Wrong. There are plenty things that the iPad should be able to do, and Apple is regularly working to implement that stuff ... like multitasking etc. But Linux News' assertion is the same as MS Word trying ever harder to give us features we don't really need: it just clots up the app. More and more capability on a little tiny box who's real mission is easy traveling connectivity is stupid. If you need that much more, buy a notebook.

I've already heard plenty people say, "if it only had this, it'd really be something." Folks, it is really something. Really.

I mean, if my car only had wings, it'd be a plane. Wouldn't THAT be awesome?  Roll Eyes

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »

Well, I already expect disaster. Just look at Android, it feels like it was designed by engineers. I get the same vibe from Windows. It seems that Google's answer to everything is to improve specs instead of innovating new ones. So Android tablet will be just what the article described - computer crammed into tablet form and usability is straight from Windows.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »

Whoa, whoa, whoa, fanboi. Take a deep breath from the paper bag, you're hyperventilating. Again.

Cut & paste from my outbox this morning:
==========
It doesn't have usb ports and you're locked in to apple's walled garden for apps.  Waaaay too restricted.  

My take: wait 6 months.  In particular, wait to see how the German Wepad shakes out
http://hothardware.com/News/Neofonie-WePad-Is-An-116-AndroidBased-iPad-Killer/

more on the wepad. price roughly in line with the ipad. does more (in terms of apps available). august debut.  so by christmas, this developing pad tech will start to gel.
=========
BUT, I'm not convinced that androidPad will get it right.  I'm just waiting for the smoke to clear.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/12/wepad-comes-out-of-tablet-hiding-reveals-its-450-price-and-aug/
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »

the article is a linux article. that means it is targeted towards nerds/creators. They of course are missing the point. Engineers always do. They build functional things, not necessarily usable...

Android is fine, but frankly, i dont see how android is any different (other than being uglier and having little to no quality control) than the ipad os? The device developers can create more feature laden devices, but that will add cost and weight and things to break.

great you plug in a usb device. woopde doo. In the end, the iPad is content consumption device. In a pinch it can be creation too. It is amazing how narrow of focus engineers can be. I guess that has been my advantage, always working in the design and animation industries, but as an engineer/nerd. I can see the flowers, not just that shit is in the way of the new building I need to put up...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »

>In the end, the iPad is content consumption device

For you.  For me, I'm looking for the hardware UI --ditch the hard keyboard and that damn glidepad.

>linux

Sux

>android

Watching the iphoner's what I see as the critical feature is the smooth multi-touch. Android seems to get B- grades on that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »

great you plug in a usb device. woopde doo. In the end, the iPad is content consumption device. In a pinch it can be creation too. It is amazing how narrow of focus engineers can be. I guess that has been my advantage, always working in the design and animation industries, but as an engineer/nerd. I can see the flowers, not just that shit is in the way of the new building I need to put up...
Hehe, I have to say nuts that you truly get it Smiley I have a similar background that I thank for my perspective that's usually quite unique. I come from music & arts and I view everything related to computers (hardware, programming, etc.) always from that point of view. What engineers don't understand is that it's not about the device itself, it's all about human mind. Steve Jobs has always understood this and that's why he was able to accomplish such a status. Bill Gates in other hand is engineer and brilliant business man. He made a business out of software and proved how powerful it can be as an economic force.

Your USB comment reminded me of something I thought few days ago. As I watch and read people, it seems that many people miss is the fact that we are moving away from wires. The sooner people embrace the change, less pain it will take. When it comes to data transfer, there's no need for any wires anymore. There's only one last stubborn thing we need to solve to be completely wireless and that's electricity. Now that we have wireless electricity in the verge of mass-production, we are steadily moving into an era where wires are only something that are used if it's completely absolutely necessary.

Problem I'm working on currently is related to bringing wireless into the web. I know it sounds paradoxical but when I can get this problem solved, it will change a lot of things in your life. It's hard to imagine how everything will change when there's no need for wires anymore. With wireless electricity we can imagine that we can have our cellphones loading automatically and how we would love to get rid of all the power cords but that's only the first few years. When electricity and data flows in the air, it will change everything and I mean everything. It is basically everything governments and the über rich see in their nightmares. I believe that this will be actually such a change that after few generations human race has divided completely in two different species. Another one is enhanced by man-made materials and the other one is, well, humans. It's up to us how these sides will interact. You can call future us cyborgs or whatever you want but what proves my point is that when there's first line for electrical camera eye surgery, sign me up. When you can have eyesight made with computers & cameras, you are no longer restricted by time, by spectrum or by distance. You can slowdown time so that you can see like you see how those super highspeed shots in Discovery, you can view the world with any spectrum you please, you can see the tiniest details or view the world from any camera or eye in the world. And funny thing is that this future is closer than anybody can honestly imagine. Some scientists believe that the first person who will live forever is already alive.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »

<added>
>usb device. woopde doo

Literally just before coming back to thecache to make the above reply, I ordered a usb Wacom digital tablet to try on a project. It was $59, I think. The project is to be able to throw high-math symbols into Skype video chat using a stylus for post-graduate level tutoring sessions.  If it doesn't work, I'll give it to a grandkid.  At $59, wgas? Too cheap to worry about.

I'm a usb junkie.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »

Android is fine, but frankly, i dont see how android is any different (other than being uglier and having little to no quality control) than the ipad os? The device developers can create more feature laden devices, but that will add cost and weight and things to break.
That is exactly my point. The article is aimed at the iPad's deficiencies, saying that and Android device with the same deficiencies will be way better. USB Port? Perhaps that'd be cool. But you need a way to do something with it. As soon as you go to "Well I want to be able to do anything" then you've gone to a full OS rather than the abbreviated OS that is iOS and Android. Camera? Multitasking? Logistics. Multitasking will be out and start being vetted hard before Google has a device on the street. Camera? Well, a front-facing camera for video chatting yes, but I am NOT going to hold my pad up and ask people to say Cheez, ain't gonna happen. The phone is just fine for that, thank you. But then being able to sync my phone's pictures into the pad for editing, that will be a nifty trick. I'll betcha we see more editing warez soon, when the camera adapter comes out.

To that point: if I can bluetooth my iPhone pictures to my iPad, that's pretty damn sweet. Editing warez on the 'pad would be good enough that I could do real work remotely with those two devices.

But I digress. @ RC: This is not fanboi talk, it's talk about how people are missing what the notion of the 'pad is. The We people don't miss it - they get it spot on (I believe). The JooJoo people got it. The point is that trying to make every device do everything is just stupid. Can you imagine a single car that is simultaneously a street racer, offroad hill climber, hugely efficient hybrid and 10-seatbelt SUV? That's the deal.

@ Nuts - I think you're right on about who the author and who the target is. Didn't put that together when I read it. And through those goggles, I understand both why they get it, and why they all just need to purchase notebooks Wink
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:08:48 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:36:44 PM »

>fanboi talk

I know. I just love rattling your cage sometimes. And you are hyperventilating lately.

>Can you imagine a single car that is simultaneously a street racer, offroad hill climber, hugely efficient hybrid and 10-seatbelt SUV? That's the deal.

No, but I can imagine buying a chassis and drive train and building out what I want to drive. 22" spinners and all.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:55:52 PM »

I know. I just love rattling your cage sometimes. And you are hyperventilating lately.
Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript