The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 06:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I <3 E17  (Read 2562 times)
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:04:13 PM »

I decided to install Enlightenment (E17) on one of my older boxes to play around with.

It FLIES, and it has more eye candy than any window manager I've used, including Compiz (aka Beryl).

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:26:24 PM »

Beautiful. I think I saw that place on the Discovery channel.

Looks like a modified OS-X, what with the task bar at the bottom.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:25:51 AM »

Modded OSX...except that it will run on 12 year old hardware very easily with no hiccups whatsoever.

It's beautiful and extremely fast and lightweight. The big selling point (even thought it's completely FOSS) is that it's lightweight enough to run on a VPS or over remote desktop exclusively. It doesn't need hardware acceleration for all the eye candy.

hai
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »

is it actively developed? i thought it was like a hobby window manager.  Smiley

i switched from gnome to xfce, found it was painfully slow on ubuntu 8.04.
thunar is blazing fast. and the eye candy is very lightweight (though it's a bit glitchy with my ati card, less so than compiz).
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:47:08 AM »

I don't know if it's actively developed, but for what I use this machine for it's pretty much spot on, and I haven't experienced any bugs yet.

Well, occasionally, when I am playing with settings, one of my windows will fly up halfway off the screen for no reason on another desktop somewhere...but I just click anywhere on the desktop and click "recover windows" and it comes back. Not sure why that happens, but it hasn't in a long time...it's definitely not a common occurrence. It seems to only happen when I'm playing with themes or window-related settings.

The one thing that I like about it (besides the HUGE performance increase over the heavyweight WMs) is that the dock has got that OSX-style "swoooosh" as you run over the icons, which I could never get AWN to do.

hai
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »

i tried awn, didn't feel the whole osx thing though. looks pretty and i wanted to like it but couldn't get used to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript