The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 05:52:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: hosting my own sites  (Read 6792 times)
arms
Expert

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »

i thinking about hosting some of my own sites.
i'm going to be doing more local stuff, and i'm thinking why spend 100+ / month at least when i can just set up my own box and get some static ips.
5mbps connection should be enough right? i'm talking about new sites targeting canada.
am i missing something? is it harder than im thinking?

thanks
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »

there's no problem with that, except that home services usually are asymmetrical (5M down, but perhaps 512 up) - in which case, you'd receive requests at blazing speed but be serving them at a crawl. Additionally, some services (like Cox, my home service) blocks inbound port 80 requests, so you can't host a web service here... unless you purchase business service, in which case you can (this is what I have, although I don't host anything from my home).

Other than that, it's a server and requests mang - go for it!

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 02:13:25 PM »

to give a short answer.

if the sites are mission critical, it is harder than you think.
if they are not mission critical, then its a no brainer.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »

that's what i wanted to hear guys.
perk good point about the up/down i hadn't thought of that.

thanks guys
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:48:54 AM »

You can pay about 10 bucks a year to have a service forward your requests on the outside down or up from port 80 to another port as well. I did that for a while.

I pay the money to have my mission critical sites on a colo though.

hai
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 01:31:15 PM »

what perk pointed out about bandwidth means getting a dedi will be cheaper.
all the canadian hosts i had seen before were gouging but i found some with a decent price that came with recommendations.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »

i thinking about hosting some of my own sites.
i'm going to be doing more local stuff, and i'm thinking why spend 100+ / month at least when i can just set up my own box and get some static ips.
5mbps connection should be enough right? i'm talking about new sites targeting canada.
am i missing something? is it harder than im thinking?

thanks

I think you should try it.

It would be great fun and a super experience.

Bomps
(can we get free webhosting from you?)

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »

Hosting from home is not an option here in 'tornado alley'.  Our power is subject to extreme fluctuations during the year.

I know a guy who does it from his computer repair shop.  He just doesn't get concerned if he and his customers are without their sites for a week at a time.    

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
emonk
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:10:33 AM »

what perk pointed out about bandwidth means getting a dedi will be cheaper.
all the canadian hosts i had seen before were gouging but i found some with a decent price that came with recommendations.

Another, cheaper option would be to run squid as a reverse proxy on a cheap VPS. They don't usually have much memory, or space, but if all it's doing is acting as a reverse proxy to your home connection and your VPS is on a fat pipe you can have a 100mbit synchronous connection hosting your stuff for like 10 bucks a month.

If the load becomes too high, or you're worried about scalability there is always the round robin DNS, and just buying more VPS accounts.

Then there is the even cheaper way: http://www.evilgreenmonkey.com/blog/micro-site-seo-hosting.html

Though to really work well, you'd need to implement real caching or risk overwhelming your home connection. With this solution you can host thousands of sites for free, or for a few dollars a month.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »

All good suggestions, IMO, but for my money I have to factor in complexity as part of the price - I've found over the last great many years that ponying up for reasonable service makes my brain free to do really creative stuff... if I'm fighting with (something) that just isn't working right, then I don't get to what I really want/need to be doing.

So I purchased my first few machines and put them in a rack about 8 years ago and I'll never go back. Given our business, regardless of the color of your hat, it's almost like owning a hammer if you are a contractor rather than borrowing one every time you need to use it - it's just part of doing things the right way.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
emonk
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 11:26:02 AM »

All good suggestions, IMO, but for my money I have to factor in complexity as part of the price - I've found over the last great many years that ponying up for reasonable service makes my brain free to do really creative stuff... if I'm fighting with (something) that just isn't working right, then I don't get to what I really want/need to be doing.

So I purchased my first few machines and put them in a rack about 8 years ago and I'll never go back. Given our business, regardless of the color of your hat, it's almost like owning a hammer if you are a contractor rather than borrowing one every time you need to use it - it's just part of doing things the right way.

I agree, it's like my pops used to say 'Always use the right tool for the job.'... Though if you lock your keys in the car, a coat hanger through the window beats walking, even though it's not really the 'right tool'.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 11:39:31 AM »

A coathanger is often the right tool for what I do...

Mobster

hai
emonk
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 11:59:41 AM »

A coathanger is often the right tool for what I do...

Mobster

<Insert horrible, horrible fetus joke here...>  Undecided
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »

Very poor taste, man.

ROFLMAO

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

... and a perfect post for the current attitude of the neocons.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript