The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:05:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: apache under centos5. where's the easy button?  (Read 5512 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »

seriously? wtf!

yum install httpd
complete!

but then if I hit the ipaddress, no response at all.

so... how can I figure out where the coms are breaking down?

ps aux shows a boatload of httpd's running. so its working. I just cant even get the default apache page to respond.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 04:40:26 AM »

why must you use centos and not a jeos ubuntu? is there something specific your doing that requires centOS?

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »

nope. except for that its what all my servers have on it. plus these are production machines (or will be) and I prefer to use enterprise level/stable platforms. since cent is rhel a while ago I made the choice.

obviously this shouldnt be a centos specific question. its more like i am either missing a step, missing a package, or have something set wrong outside the box.

so i did some further testing and I am guessing a setting I am missing.
i can ssh in.
i can telnet from within the box to its own IP:80 and get a 501-method not supported - index.html not supported.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:34:24 AM »

bah. i think its IP cop getting in the way. even though I am hitting it internally.

so i am VPNd in to my rack.
my webserver is 10.0.0.20
i hit from my browser: http://10.0.0.20
nothing happens but timeout.
but if i look at ipcops connections page, i see a connection from my machine, through the vpn to the web box.
It says "unreplied" which of course means the web box didnt answer for some reason.

same if i do a hostname, test.com (obviously set up the conf and restarted apache).

though even if i hit it externally it doesnt answer either

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:52:17 AM »

fuckit im reinstalling to fc10

woot remote install Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 01:12:51 PM »

Does centOS install a local firewall by default? FC can do that sometimes. That'd bugger you big. I forget what all you need to shut down, but there are a few services that come up by default now that you must kill or you'll get that result.

Can you wget from the machine itself and talk to itself? I think that might be telling.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »

Its not installed, because I uncheck everything during install, then install what I need from shell.

remote install went well on 1 machine, hosed another.
oh well. going down monday to reinstall i spose.

arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »

i think ubuntu server is pretty stable. especially the LTS (last one would be 8.04).
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »

bah. i nuked all my machines. LOL

good thing they are not production yet.

anyway, i am going to try this a different way i think. I am going to install with a default server they way the CentOS installer wants me to. Then I am going to pear it down.

I think I know what is causing the problem. I am guessing dependency hell is rearing its ugly head. Since I am unchecking all the boxes during install, I am guessing that I am turning something off thats needed, like iptables...
So instead, i will do it the start big and prune approach.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 05:29:07 PM »

Ping if you nn assistance. I'll be around.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 06:18:01 AM »

Yeah I am going to be switching my servers to GUI-less Ubuntu server installs over the coming weeks. The database server is mirrored in realtime and rsync backed up offsite every hour incrementally. The Apache server is mirrored in realtime for immediate failover via DNS and all the code is automatically backed up via Git/rsync to my workstation (laptop) wherever I am physically located, provided the laptop is turned on.

I don't know why I shared that here, but I've been retooling my datacenter since we moved this weekend. I'll have photos probably by the end of the week.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 07:14:32 AM »

im curious why your going Ub? you used to be Cent right?

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 08:37:28 AM »

No, they used to be FreeBSD.

I have been using Ubuntu on my workstations - thought I would give it a try as classicly I am a Gentoo/Slackware guy. I've been impressed by their development philosophy and I have always watched the development of Debian with interest, as I have always considered apt the most mature, feature-rich, and usable package management system. It beats Yum and Ports/Portage hands down imo.

Anyway, one big reason is that I have a very very complicated setup, and it's been getting even more complex. The "mirroring" that happens in my rig is actually not just failover, it's a full-on load balancing between each machine as a SSI (single system image, so even software that is not written to take advantage of parallel processing will be taken care of at the kernel level). This is even more complicated than it sounds, as the standard RHEL or other clustering suites fall a far cry short of what I need to do. That means that I'm stuck using outdated and unmaintained clustering software (openMOSIX) - not a big deal as I can maintain it just fine myself and have already posted a couple "unofficial" patches for the codebase to get clustering working on newer kernels, but adding that layer of complexity on top of a kernel that is anything less than second nature for me to adminster at this point would just be counterproductive.

So that's basically it. On a datacenter that is located literally about 20 feet from where I sleep (in a rack in the closet of my office with a dedicated climate-control unit), I'm more concerned with usability and ease of maintenance and configuration than I am with any sort of hardening security-wise. My personal (and company-wide for the businesses I own LOL) security policy has evolved into 2 very simple principles:

1) If it accepts request from the outside world, on any port, it runs FreeBSD (unless OpenBSD is the only comparable option)
2) If it's in house, it runs Ubuntu (except for the box that controls inbound and outbound traffic. For that, see rule #1.)

At this point, I do so much work from my house that I can't really even see paying for a colo. In light of that, I have scaled back from a full rack to just a few dedicateds in various places that I've never physically seen.

EDIT: With what I've saved on a colo, I might just invest in a T1 or T3 to the house. That would be the ideal solution.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:39:45 AM by vsloathe » Logged

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »

ah ok. makes sense.

I considered UB but chickened out because of the newness. rhel/cent is long running. But the yum/apt argument is valid. yum is not the problem, its the retards who make the RPMs and miss all the dependencies because they dont account for a minimal install. Hell maybe ill go UB... lol

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 09:41:21 AM »

...and rsync backed up offsite every hour incrementally.
The Apache server is mirrored in realtime for immediate failover via DNS and all the code is automatically backed up via Git/rsync to my workstation (laptop) wherever I am physically located, provided the laptop is turned on.

I am interested in how you implemented both of these VS... I want to move to 100% rsync for my backups but do not know how to do incremental. And I'd like to hear about your DNS failover realtime mirror Apache rig, sounds really nice.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript