The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 06:02:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows I - slideshow  (Read 2454 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:59:51 AM »

http://www.networkworld.com/slideshows/2011/052611-windows-1.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2011-05-26

When I was young I had a glance at Windows I but never used it myself. I began with Windows II and then heavily with Windows 3/3.1/3.1.1/etc. But Windows I used ASCII to attempt to fake the user into believing they were viewing real graphics. Nobody's fooling anybody here! Yikes what a disgusting UI.

* Run.jpg (61.29 KB, 496x371 - viewed 201 times.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:01:22 AM by isthisthingon » Logged

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:32 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sforhbLiwLA&feature=related

Balmer doing a Billy Mayes-esk info-mercial pitch for their new OS, Windows I, for only... wait for it....... $99! (in 1986 dollars  Huh?  Shocked)

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »

LOL what a blast from the past. I had seen screenshots but never used W1 - man that's right out of the X playbook. I really didn't use Windows to any great degree until 3.0 (You may remember that we were both still writing from the PEDL lib I wrote for Clipper back then, which had an API that tried to ape the Apple system ie., single function Alert calls etc).

What's funny is to fire up pure X, even on the Mac, and see how much of that same interface yuck still exists.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:18:29 AM »

I remember one of our clients was using Windows 2.0 and wanted to get support with it. That was right around the time that us DOS-heads were realizing that the GUI wasn't going anywhere Wink

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »

I think I remember that, although I don't remember what we did for/about it. I just remember that we stayed pretty much Clipper until 3.0, and then went hog wild with Borland C++ and OWL with 3.1.

Yeah man, do you remember that IBM with "Toy Mode?"  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:07:05 PM »

Sluggo had it with an optical mouse  ROFLMAO  His demo left something to be desired Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript