The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 16, 2019, 05:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7.0 showstopper bug  (Read 4512 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2009, 12:37:44 PM »

This just in: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/080509-windows-7-bug.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2009-08-05

D'oh!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »

im not sure i would call it a showstopper.
Stupid as hell that it got missed of course, but not show stopper.

Its a utility. not a functionality.
It only gets run when needed. And most people probably have NEVER run it. lol

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:41:36 PM »

True, it's easy to work around it.  As for calling the offerings of their new OS "complete" I think they'll choose to fix it before final release.  But man, nothing like a "massive memory leak" when running the chkdsk /r utility against a non-boot partition drive.  I run it frequently since my primary PC has 2TB striped (4 500GB, 2 logical drives).  Since I'm at RAID-0 I get the creeps frequently about bad sectors, but damn my reads are fast.  My whole PC experience improved when I dumped MS Outlook as well.  That beast could slow down Superman.

Honestly I think I'd take my boot partition off RAID-0 next time since it makes me OCD with my backups.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »

Of course I completely agree. And I do hope they fix it first, take the delay hit, and then restart the launch.
There has been no advertising yet, so they are good. Only nerds and OEMs will be put back by it.

Because...
I have to say, the RTM is really nice and solid.
even with all the retarded shit I run.

And you are completely right about outlook. that thing is a POS. Every problem every client has ever had is related to outlook. The only thing worse than outlook is lotus... lol
Thats why I am now putting that stuff out in the net. Like google mail for business.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »

I have to say, the RTM is really nice and solid.

Since I do most work in various clouds (like Force.com, Lyris, etc.) I haven't touched 7.0 yet but the reviews are saying the same thing (above bug excluded).  XP mode will hopefully fly in the 13" and under market, where Vista could never fit.

And just to let the whole world throw produce at me (especially anyone I've offended with remarks about Apple, etc.), I actually like Vista (SP2) better than XP, and in general it's a decent OS IMO.  Probably since I've thrown 4GB 1066 RAM at it with another 4GB for my ReadyBoost, on a quad Q6600 I built a year ago.  Granted it should run faster but things have been really nice since I've gone open office, mozilla thunderbird/lightning, etc.

There I said it  Grin  Perhaps the most openly hated OS in history is certainly not fantastic, but to me it's not too terrible either.

Ok, bring on the tomatoes  Tongue

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »

i like vista as well. its just a bit of a pig.

most of the negativity is just sheeple.

svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 04:48:48 PM »

7 beats the pants right off of Vistar's scaly green ass Nutballs,  even the beta versions were quite superior imho, and the rtm is damn nice.

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 05:09:12 PM »

7 beats the pants right off of Vistar's scaly green ass Nutballs,  even the beta versions were quite superior imho, and the rtm is damn nice.

I hope so.  Nothing like being able to choose the OS to drop in a PC, especially when it makes things that much better.  But I'll respectfully wait until Monoposoft's beta testers (the public at large) find and report all the obvious bugs for them.  Vista pre-SP1 made the worst fears of Y2K seem like grammar errors in a help file  Wink

svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »

Vista pre-SP1 made the worst fears of Y2K seem like grammar errors in a help file  Wink

hahaha!!!!  it was TERRIBLE!!!!

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »

interestingly i never really had any of the issues that most folks claimed with vista. And I am very hard on an OS.
but yes, Sva, win7 beats the snot out of it.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 10:04:06 PM »

interestingly i never really had any of the issues that most folks claimed with vista.

The biggest issues occurred after botched XP upgrades.  Even "clean" XP upgrades created an environment filled with bugs and performance issues.  Upgrading from XP with encrypted directories and compressed volumes got a lot of attention in the press, though I don't compress volumes or use Windows encryption (ever since I got stung by it that is) so I only heard about these issues.  Also, trying to move large numbers of files via the file manager/explorer was insanely slow.  At a certain size/number of files it would crawl to an exponentially unfinishable speed and you'd have to start the copy again, selecting a smaller set of files.  It was sort of a "slow-as-you-go" experience which was horribly frustrating since large data moves seemed ok initially.  The Vista backup suffered the same issue since everything was built on top of this fundamentally flawed, low-level file system issue.  SP1 took care of that if I remember correctly but definitely by SP2 it was cleared up.

Oh yeah, the initial security holes were legendary, even though they touted thousands of additional lines of "security" code.  Honestly though, and excluding some initial security issues, Vista is seriously more secure than XP ever was.  And people complain about having to click Continue so frequently when asking to perform an operation.  This is actually a great thing that stops many forms of hacs from propagating through your system - unchecked in XP.

ehlo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »

The biggest issues occurred after botched XP upgrades.

That is precisely why no-one should EVER do an in place upgrade, seriously how hard can it be to back up data, format drive, install new OS and insert original disc or whatever to verify the upgrade? OK, I know some people couldn't manage that, but that's what keeps people like me in business  Wink

I actually really like Vista, XP was beginning to be a bit dated for me. Sure it suffered from teething problems (for about a year ROFLMAO) but it suits me fine. As for 7, well I love the 64-bit version, it's quick and easy to use.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »

thats probably why I never seem to have all the problems the "normals" have. I don't think I have EVER run a version upgrade for anything. Hell even Photoshop, i uninstalled CS3 first, then installed CS4.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 01:17:17 PM »

FYI - Here's the undocumented feature in action:

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »

@ inplace upgrade - I don't think it's a lack of smart people at MacroShaft so much as the problems of variable hardware. Here we see where the unified experience model of Apple works well - if you know pretty damn much everything about every computer of yours that is out there, it's easy to build an inplace upgrade that works pretty well. I cannot even imagine the variables that M$ must try to incorporate to create a sound inplace upgrade system. Mind boggling.

Or the other model, like *nix - where the kernel is completely separate from the applications - you can focus on working with hardware ... and nothing else. You don't need to worry about how Word will use COM or dotNyet or WTFE to connect to (my app). That's for the apps to do. That said, I've never done an in place kernel upgrade for any of my nix boxes ... perhaps VS has. But I think that as M$ has tried to integrate apps and their kernel more and more, it's becoming exponentially more difficult to handle all the variables. I don't think their current direction is helping with that, either.

@ITTO: perhaps I'm missing something - what is it you're showing us in that image? What is the UnDocFeat?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript