The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Those wacky guys at M$. They just don't know when to quit.  (Read 6522 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:06:22 PM »

Check the new teaser ad for the forthcoming MS phone.

Jeez those guys couldn't hit water if they fell out a boat. Is it just me, or is "The Revolution Is Coming" just a titch hyperbolic anymore, considering that they are only JUST NOW going to come out with a phone that should have been out 3 years ago? From what I hear, even Android 1.4 beats up on it ... And it won't do flash either!!!

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/06/microsoft_begins_windows_phone_7_media_blitz_with_new_teaser_ad.html

For what they were, to what they have become, is amazing. 

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »

Quite a few phones run windows mobile.
I know Sony had some, I think samsung had one.
About the same time I bought my iphone, a friend of mine bought a Sony or Samsung running windows mobile.
Biggest bitch is that nothing beats the responsiveness of the touch screen of apple.
M$ biggest mistake was wasting money on researching handwriting recognition instead of touch screens Smiley

If nokia or M$ could get thier shit together Smiley
Probably the big up and coming is samsung and htc
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »

Win7 phones have been actually getting quite a good buzz in mobile scene. The UI is finally looking like a modern mobile UI and it actually works quite well which is a bit of surprise because you have to remember, we are talking about Microsoft product here. So don't count MS out yet, if they can get their shit together they might still have a chance. You can forget Nokia, those guys haven't been showing anything proper in so many years that I doubt they can whip anything out in the required schedule to keep up in the game.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
ehlo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:13:46 AM »

Is it just me, or is "The Revolution Is Coming" just a titch hyperbolic

Coz Apple never use hyperbole, their tech is "magical" after all  Roll Eyes

That being said I wouldn't mind getting me a White iPhone 4, oh wait... 
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:42:59 AM »

Oh I'm not saying Apple doesn't ... They use it to great effect. But that ad, the particular phrase, the complete ho-hum of another touch screen phone... They are just so behind the curve and think they can use Apple-like marketing to make up for lost ground.

I just don't think they get it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
ehlo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »

I agree about the advert, it's pretty terrible but was only made for a screening of Lawrence of Arabia. I did cringe, when you see the mirage is only a bad render of a Windows phone it's somewhat of an anticlimax

I am interested in how Win7 turns out though, but I remain unconvinced for the moment.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »

Nothing like a Microsoft ad on AppleInsider  ROFLMAO  Honestly when it comes to advertising I have about zero expectations from Microsoft so I was pleasantly surprised.  They chose to say little and keep things hokey and fo-mysterious, finding the perfect theme song just in time for 9/11  Roll Eyes  (someone didn't get the memo...) 

But a Win7, multi-threaded device is at least interesting.  The "revolution" is about as silly as Steve Jobs making his greatest life contribution by unveiling the iPad.  I could be wrong on this, but if Microsoft has become or has hired those who are savvy enough to sense the hilarious self-mockery in this ad along with the hilarious mockery of Apple making every product release the second coming of Christ, well I'd be stunned and surprised.

I have some suspicion that they may have dropped their hopeless quest to reaffirm their self-importance that nobody believes anyway and decided to just have more fun with their advertising.  If not, and they're as serious as Apple about how some new portable/wireless gadget will transcend humanity beyond human suffering - at least for those who can afford it - then they're just as ridiculous about their thinly veiled money mission.  But if they're taking things less seriously and Apple's Insider missed the mockery  D'oh!   ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

That's Steve Job's Achilles heel: he can't laugh and take things less seriously.  His ego is far too enormous.  Christ it won't even let him admit he's aging beyond his office.  In the past this has been true for Microsoft too, with Kermit the Frog posing as something other than a poker master power monster, and then Balmer the grunting cash ape who couldn't program a VCR for all the cocaine in the world.  But with enough money and time, even IBM can become cool. 

...and that's when it hits you  Idea...

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »

ROFLMAO although that would be enormously cool if M$ actually did put that together as a mockery and a little self deprecation on the way to market, I don't think they are nearlythat clever Orin the right position to do so. One stroll into the M$ store and you know that is all envy and Me Too Me Too.

I just also really enjoy that i can post anything and you can turn it into a rant that makes Apple and Jobs the problem. Awesome.   

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 12:25:12 PM »

Well, an Apple commercial being laughed at on a Microsoft Insider "news" site might conceivably evoke a similar response from you Wink  The whole point is how it either threatens Apple's dominance or is truly nothing more than a joke.  But the only relevance it really has to you I suppose and Apple I believe is how it effects Apple, or if it effects Apple.  No magic required  Grin

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »

Jeez bro, chill a bit.

The real issue to me here is that M$ should not have to, in any way, prove itself or play Me Too with Apple. Or Android powered phones.Whomever is in charge of this horse shit is just really going the wrong way and missed the whole reason MS is what they are.

Very few (relatively) purchase MS because they want to. First, they were the only real game in town. Then, you got MS because you bought a computer - they were ubiquitous because of their agreements with Dell and the like, not because they were "cool."

They have are are real opportunity to be something that Apple and Google cannot - they, of anyone, actually could produce a "cloud in a box" so to speak, selling private virtualization to corporations and just make huge bank. They are in a position to use their corporate dominance to, yet again, remake and retake the corporate mind share and dollars. When they do stuff like this, they level the playing field for competitors by making themselves look so silly.       

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »

Play #20: Always, Always Go After Goliath

"And if there is no Goliath in your industry, go after the status quo."

Apple is by all measures the Goliath of tech cool and ironically has become completely mainstream.  These days the least knowledgeable in tech will brandish their iPhones as a false badge of competence.  It's the Mensa tie of our times  Smooch

I'm just sayin.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »

LOL This was not about Apple, nor is Apple the Goliath vis-a-vis MS' raw capability. But since it's become part of the thread...

@Main stream: I agree. Ironic, but certainly not outside of what Apple has always wanted to become. Even more ironic, will be the difficulty of creating outsider buzz when they are becoming/have become the insider. It's hard to say, "think different" when the majority of mindshare is thinking your way.

@ Goliath: Apple has an almost supernatural ability to create buzz, surely enough. My point is that you cannot mimic Apple and create buzz. Nor can you simply put Ikea furniture and wall photos that look like an Apple store into a mall piece of real estate and capture what Apple has captured. The MS people have completely lost who they are, why they are or why they are rich. That commercial is no great irony, nor sarcastic playfulness that speaks to a broad truth about Apple or Android or anything else. It speaks to how pathetic MS is at the moment and how drastically they've lost their way.

@ Mensa tie: A nice shot and quite funny, but as roundly inaccurate as saying that Android users are simply young men that wish to separate themselves from their perceived "softness" of the Apple line. Even though the demographic numbers back that up. Smooch And that's not the way it will always be. Soon enough, Apple will only be another player in the space, as enough other smart phones with touch screens come online and provide capabilities that the great Oz Steveo has not deemed worthy for his toy. Similar for the iPad, however I think the timeline on that one is a little longer, given how so many of the candidates are simply notebooks on a diet, or Netbooks that are juicing.

But all that aside and back on topic: Pathetic. Really. It's like Dilbert wants to ride a motorcycle. Just wrong.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »

It's like Dilbert wants to ride a motorcycle. Just wrong.

ROFLMAO 

If you think about the logic of my argument for a second, that Microsoft may possibly have found the ability to appreciate irony and subtle humor which pokes fun at themselves and others like Apple for being so grandiose about these things, there's a deeper funnier truth to it.  Either this is true or not.  If it's not true (which is perhaps more likely) and they're truly trying their damnedest to appear as revolutionary trend-setters - leveraging vaporware as proof of this, then what I'm basically saying is they are so marketing stupid that they don't even realize their material appears to be a mockery.

Tail wind!!  What a fantastic name for a frequent flier program!   D'oh!

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »

You are talking about the ad, so it is working Smiley
Seriously M$ is probably going to go the way of IBM, but they are still in denial.
Let's Be Honest: Microsoft's Mobile Business Is A Fantasy
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/08/27/businessinsider-microsofts-mobile-business-is-a-fantasy.DTL
Summary :
MS mobile will cost $15 a copy, this will increase end price of product by $20.
It can not do anything that android does not do, why shell out $15.
If MS gives away for free, no revenue model.

Apple will only be another player in the space, as enough other smart phones with touch screens come online and provide capabilities that the great Oz Steveo has not deemed worthy for his toy.
For shits and giggles I just bought an HTC desire.
I will post a review about it soon, HTC desire vs IPhone
In a nutshell IPhone and HTC Desire very similar spec wise. Putting the 2 units side by side, they look very similar.
I have always had 2 phones. Globe service is not as good, but to send SMS cheaper. SMART reliable but more expensive.
Big difference is IPhone is "retard proof", while HTC requires users to make intelligent decisions.
A really cool feature is that apps can share info, so you can link your facebook,with flickr,with contact list in phone etc.
So it is like a "social networking" phone.
Also can share info, unlike iphone.
The biggie for the asian market, out of the box you can install chinese,thai,tamil keyboards etc. (or some wacked out input method, I know with tamil they have like 300 phonetic letters, so that is why indian names are 150 letters long in latin letters Smiley).
Also HTC desire requires user's to make intelligent decisions. When u DL app from "Market" it will inform you what abilities this app requires. example : net access, ability to send SMS, ability to modify data. Apps can be a lot more powerful, a rogue app could hurt user badly Smiley

So far from initial observations, both iphone and desire are excellent phones.
To some degree they cater to different markets.
HTC Desire is much more complex, but it comes with a price. Lack of user safety.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 05:41:30 PM »

...what I'm basically saying is they are so marketing stupid that they don't even realize their material appears to be a mockery.
Ah ... so they may've so completely bungled Cool that they are, at some level, cool. At least now I understand your point.

Tail wind!!  What a fantastic name for a frequent flier program!   D'oh!
Actually, that was the proposed name for the entire company. To be taken instantly without even a vote, it was so good.  ROFLMAO
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:45:26 PM by perkiset » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript