The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 11:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This is huge for Macroshaft..  (Read 1551 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »

Cult of Mac reports:
http://www.cultofmac.com/windows-7-a-rival-worth-waiting-for/18103

People listen to Mossberg because he's pretty unbiased. This is excellent news for Redmond.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:53:25 AM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »

... but good lord, the prices:

Quote from: AppleInsider
Windows 7 is set to debut on Oct. 22. A Home Premium upgrade will cost $120 ($200 standalone); Professional upgrade will cost $200 ($300 standalone); and Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade will run $320 ($400 standalone).

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:56:07 AM »

I see no competition at all. Windows is in completely different league compared to OSX in usability. I had to delete Windows 7 from my VMWare. It was so annoying to use that I could stand it and I felt even more betrayed because they promised me happiness! I want to be that little girl in that ad! no wait.. that didn't come out right...

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »

ROFLMAO

I think it is significant to add that there's no way in hell that I'll go Win7 except for testing and where I am required to do so ... but it is significant that a reasonable media voice has made this claim. That will skew marketing efforts on both sides, I'll betcha. Where Apple's been able to market with impunity about the superiority of their OS, that may not be so easily claimed in the future... of course fanbois will ALWAYS claim that (their respective OS) is better, but the point of the game is conversion. If the difference between the two is attenuated, it will be more difficult for Apple to win converts.

That said, much like I've posted in the other threads re. media, the ease of the Apple network (in a broad sense) is a selling point that will even have more legs when the tablet comes out, I'll bet. It's going to come back to a value play and McCoys vs. Hatfields again, rather than the slam dunk "Apple is better" of the last few years.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »

interestingly, since installing the RTM, i have crashed 2 times. I am pretty sure its firefox's fault, but, i had ZERO crashes the entire time I ran RC2.

D'oh!

but still, its doing pretty damn well.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript