The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:19:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft shifts Silverlight strategy, favors HTML 5  (Read 3228 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-our-strategy-with-silverlight-has-shifted/7834

With all due grains of salt, it seems the massive beast of business has felt enough pain from past failures to change course for their future.  My feeling is that 10+ years ago Microsoft would have bet the farm on destroying Adobe's Flash market share in an attempt to get the world permanently hooked on yet another of their proprietary technologies, assuming they understood the importance of the Internet back then. 

But even in the current turmoil of the Apple Flash uncertainties, Microsoft seems to be turning a new leaf and rather than attempting to be the flash-like media standard for the Internets they now know are so critical, they are shifting to embrace open standards such that they can better focus on their differentiators.  Azure, much like other PaaS offerings, deeply depends on open ubiquitous standards to maximize their future customer base.

When it comes to the Internet, the future smiles on products and services with frictionless adoption and nothing hits the brakes harder than that chilling word with essentially no upside: unsupported   

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 03:22:27 PM »

With all due grains of salt, it seems the massive beast of business has felt enough pain from past failures to change course for their future.  My feeling is that 10+ years ago Microsoft would have bet the farm on destroying Adobe's Flash market share in an attempt to get the world permanently hooked on yet another of their proprietary technologies, assuming they understood the importance of the Internet back then. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_@_the_Speed_of_Thought published 1999
He is talking about how the digital age will affect business etc.
Obviously they did understand the importance, otherwise M$ would not have had browser wars.

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are very similar in their tactics.
They both bet heavy on things they believe in. They both fight dirty, and they have the want to win attitude of a pioneer.

After around 2000 Bill Gates was not really "running" M$ anymore.
After that point in time they really have not come up with anything new.

As the pioneers step down, and the "business men" who want to play it safe take over, these companies end up becoming like IBM.
When Steve Jobs steps down from apple, you will see the same thing happen with them.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 03:24:31 PM by nop_90 » Logged
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »

I read The Road Ahead by Bill Gates, written in 1995, and he hadn't really awakened yet to the Internet reality we live in today.  He focused more on how every device will be connected with dynamic information but he still expressed this as a proprietary technology path from conception to consumer. 

Gates on the importance of search and their failed fight with Google: "We were stupid as hell."   ROFLMAO

But I completely agree about Gates and Jobs.  I see them almost as two sides of the same coin, insisting on how different they are and not wanting their considerable similarities revealed or understood.  But behind the curtain they're giggling and shaking hands, imo.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
aliraza167
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »

oh it pretty good info that microsoft silverlight strategy with shifts button that pretty cool, that why i read forum because these provided such cool, updated info thanks for this (I haz dickness but Perk is LOL) dallier electronic
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:29:41 PM by perkiset » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript