The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:35:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft goes open source  (Read 2192 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »

Hell has frozen over...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/072009-microsoft-linux-source-code.html?t51hb

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »

ROFLMAO Well, that's a pretty extreme and bombastic headline for what they actually did... they released code so that Linux could run in a VM on their servers!

Now you watch: Linux will run, but in some kind of crippled fashion so that everyone that will now, for the first time perhaps, get a chance to see Linux run and have a simply horrible time - kind of like Office for the Mac - rife with bugs, doesn't play well with others, bombs and tries to dominate things. A real iBully.

Man, that's like the worst of all worlds  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »

I think this sums it up nicely as well:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/43683

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »

Well, that's a pretty extreme and bombastic headline

Sounds like someone has a case of the muuuuundays  ROFLMAO

Rewritten accurately: "Microsoft opens some source, sources say. Skeptics say 'so what?'"  To me this is a major moment in tech history, regardless of whether this move actually provides value.  In their defense, I have complete confidence that we can expect the following:

• A targeted reduction in stability
  • A much needed performance vacation
  • Across the board exception gains
  • Unparalleled protection against usability, scalability, managability and support
  • A Sasquatchian RAM footprint

Did I mention headaches, nausea and confusion?  But winding the clock back to the 90's, it did require the US government and our legal system to pry their code open - only to have Monoposoft release a new version of Windows and render the opened code useless.  Times are changing.

Open source, cloud computing and a bad economy have created a perfect storm that may actually bring Microsoft and others into alignment with the value they create.  The earliest versions of Windows were double-plus terrible.  However, the cost difference between a PC running Windows and a Mac made it the OS of the people.  Apple might just be the last major player to unclench their white-knuckled grip on source and predatory pricing.

Irony: 1. Oracle purchasing its way into the free software game  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Now you watch: Linux will run, but in some kind of crippled fashion so that everyone that will now, for the first time perhaps, get a chance to see Linux run and have a simply horrible time

ROFLMAO  Wow man, I'm still laughing.  Darwin will take care of those who actually use the shit and imagine stability is nearby.  I think you're totally right on this one.  Imprisoning Linux in a fat dirty diaper is just mean. 

kind of like Office for the Mac - rife with bugs, doesn't play well with others, bombs and tries to dominate things. A real iBully.

Did you say iBully or iTunes  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO  Sorry man, Apple = Microsoft in this arena.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO Great stuff meng. "A targeted reduction in stability" Almost upnosed the Diet Coke.

And yes, bad case of the Mundays. Client calls with a problem that was created by another vendor and had literally stopped the shop. Got sorted in under an hour, but jeepers what a way to start the week.

Hope yours is equally interesting Wink

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »

I think this sums it up nicely as well:
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/43683

Definitely  Ditto 

Hope yours is equally interesting

Delightfully uneventful.  It's a perfect time to have an easy Monday.  We saw Grace Jones at the Hollywood Bowl last night and I was a tad cheesy this morning Tongue  It was a fantastic show Applause and her outfits were unbelievable.

Here's to Grace  Praise

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript