The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 10:59:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: just installed win7 RTM.  (Read 3532 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:34:47 AM »

WTF are people talking about that it takes hours to install?
It took me 12 minutes...

Mind you I then of course am embarking on the never ending app hell...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 10:35:29 AM »

oh and, it seems quite a bit faster than the RC1 I was on. No more debug shit running in the BG I guess.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:24:06 AM »

re. the discussion we had a few moments ago... if you put together either a Parallels or VMWare version of 7 can I get a hold of that plz?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »

which would you prefer?
Or do you want both?

I need to make a VM version anyway, but are the files compatible between mac and PC?

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »

I want so badly to try it because it's new and shiny but I can't think one single reason why I would want to install Windows even in VMware image. I guess that tells a lot how I feel about Windows products nowadays Cheesy

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »

I NEED to install it.

Vista64 is an absolute bear on my primary gaming machine (dual quad core 3.0Ghz Xeons thanks to a generous friend, it's not the processing power LOL). I wish Windows wasn't necessitated for gaming but unfortunately, it is.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »

I need to make a VM version anyway, but are the files compatible between mac and PC?

No, files are not immediately compatible because they changed formats during an upgrade and it's funky, but doable. All I really need is a parallels VM and I can convert it to VMW as I need to. Thanks. I believe the parallels files are better at moving between OSs than the VMWare.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »

ill just make it on the mac.

NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »

I guess that tells a lot how I feel about Windows products nowadays Cheesy
Applause

... my primary gaming machine (dual quad core 3.0Ghz Xeons ...

gamer  Roll Eyes

what's up?
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 06:42:01 PM »

I NEED to install it.

Vista64 is an absolute bear on my primary gaming machine (dual quad core 3.0Ghz Xeons thanks to a generous friend, it's not the processing power LOL). I wish Windows wasn't necessitated for gaming but unfortunately, it is.

I can't fathom why you would subject your gaming experience to Vista 64  Shocked  I use a single quad core 2.8Ghz, 4 GB-1066Ghz DDR3 RAM, but nothing touches my 1GB GeForce.  Vista 32 would be far better unless you're doing business stuff on it too IMO.  There's nothing but additional overhead that your amazingly capable dual quad has to deal with.

Additionally, video drivers for fast cards in 64 Bit seem to have a terrible name on the street, if they're even available for the card you have.  But I haven't shopped that stuff in a while so perhaps things have changed  Undecided

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »

Looks like it's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/64-bit-vista-gaming,2250.html.  So in that case your extra RAM gives Vista64 an advantage.  The drivers were so slow to development and the latest/greatest vid cards were only certified on 32-bit at first.  And most games were still not native 64-bit last time I checked.

But in any case, you have one hell of a machine and having it bogged down by anything is a shame 

As soon as I see the games I want certified on Windows 7.0 I'm all over it.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:59:35 AM »

24GB RAM, 2 x geforce 260gtx's in SLI

Driver support was fine, I've had more trouble with DX9 stuff.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:29:45 AM »

24GB RAM, 2 x geforce 260gtx's in SLI

Driver support was fine, I've had more trouble with DX9 stuff.

Can't go DirectX 10 yet?  Really nice rendering enhancements from 9-10.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 09:41:15 AM »

Obviously I have DX10 installed as well.

I play a particular game a whole lot that requires DX9, and in fact on my machine w/vista64, it will not run at all without the DX9 SDK installed for some reason.

hai
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 04:56:45 AM »

Now I have some experiences with Win7. Yup, still piece of cluttered crap. I open file explorer thingy and I hate it just as much as I did in Vista. It's still cluttered with unnecessary "shortcuts", text buttons that don't look like buttons and it's still hard to use.

There's just something in this whole Windows logic that I don't like. Every time I have to open some panel I haven't seen before I'm presented with million of choices with small 10px font. My only thought is that "aww fuck I don't want to do this". Apple's Snow Leopard is far from perfect but it's million times better to use than this. Microsoft wants simplicity but they are doing it wrong. Instead of making thing simpler, they just make the font smaller and put more whitespace so it looks revamped. And why do I feel like I'm still using Windows XP with facelift? It's like Windows Vista & 7 are just interface upgrades over Windows XP but nothing has actually changed.

I feel really sorry for people who have to use this all day long.

*edit* I just spent the last 10 minutes trying to find how to add samba share to Windows 7. It seems that you have to right click network tree element in explorer window to find "map network drive" option. I mean who is the fucking retard who has designed this interface? First of all, there isn't any type of indication I can get context menu with those shortcut/tree elements. There's the little icon that tells me that I can left click to expand them but nothing else. Then I can't get context menu from those "Organize", "Burn" and "New folder" text buttons... Then if I click the button to change the view option there's multiple choices and I have to use slider to select my preference. The slider is there only for icon size setting and it doesn't affect other choices like "details" or "list" in anyway. There just isn't any logic with this interface.

But luckily I have also something positive to say. It seems shutdown works much faster than it used to. That's relief.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:44:35 AM by kurdt » Logged

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript