The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 06:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't understand this ! Need your help !  (Read 3304 times)
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:18:31 AM »

Well, maybe my head is so full right now with coding that I don't understand one thing !

FIRST - IT'S NOT CODING !

What can we do with .psd files from template package !

I understand that I can edit these shits with Adobe Photoshop (GIMP) change the colors and create the layer that I want !

But what I don't understand how can I trim these images to be like the others in the package and replace them !

Maybe ... I need to drink more coffee and read but I was thinking that you guys could give me a nice short answer !

Nerd

what's up?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »

I could help with real Photochop, not gimp.

post a JPG of the file, and draw on it, what you want to do, like an arrow pointing at the image you want to replace.
That way I can know what the hell you are talking about.

generally though, you should be able to just select the layer which contains the image you want to replace, then drag in an image from another open file. Then you resize that image in that layer to fit your needs.

though, generally there should be no reason to do this unless there are overlays and such.
assuming the image is just a rectangle of some sort, just cut your images to that size, and obviously change the name in HTML to match your new image. I doubt thats what you need though, unless your just being tired-dumb.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:31:50 PM »

I don't know how to explain

Huh?

what's up?
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »

photoshop has an export to html thing somewhere but you need to slice up the image and add links or whatever.
imo it's to much work unless the specific design is important to you.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 05:27:43 PM »

Well, slices are really no big thang to implement, I do it all the time because then graphics download time can really be tailored.

Bu honestly I have NFC what you are asking NYD. Sorry meng.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:39:15 AM »

Well ... let's try to explain again  Grin

I saw tutorials on how to create a website layout with GIMP !

They design the whole page in GIMP !

And then they write the html code !

WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND :

- How do they slice the whole image (layout) and create the html code with the images !

I'm thinking (but I know this is stupid) - that GIMP has some options like EXPORT TO HTML and then it slice automat all the images and renders a page !

I'm trying to do this because I have a script and I want to create a nice template for it !

And then for others sites just to use the template created but with slightly modifications !

I hope I was more clear in the paragraph above  Cry

what's up?
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 07:33:13 AM »

photoshop can do that. gimp i don't know.

what i do is come up with a layout then try to do as much of that in html/css, then only export graphics as needed.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »

ok, there are TWO possible answers. Again, i can only speak to photoshop CS3/4 (i cannot remember below that), but gimp should be similar.

In photoshop there used to be a sub-package called Image Ready. Its now just called "save for web and devices".
You can do all the slicing in there.
OR
You can slice up your template in the main photoshop by selecting the slice tool, which is part of the cropping tool flyout group.

you set up all your slices.

then you should be able to "save for web and devices" or EXport HTML or something like that.

HOWEVER.
I would not do it this way.
I would cut out each element by hand and save each.
I would code my own HTML, keeping in mind what elements I want users (or myself) to be able to change for each subsequent site.
I would then create what I call generator files, which have a single element, like a header graphic for example, set up with the bar minimum of layers to make it idiot-easy for anyone to change.
If need be, I create actions for each of those as well.

You could go even further and do all the customizability in code.
Most is easy, like CSS colors and font sizes, etc. The graphics are a bit harder, but if you just require an image size, they can upload an image, view a preview of the template, then try again if it didnt work the way they wanted. You could get really fancy with a web based graphic editing tool, but thats a whole nother level.

Photoshop/Gimp are NOT web creation tools. They are web DESIGN tools. The HTML they produce is utter and complete shit. And thats not from a anal retentive, HTML nazi point of view. It's the nature of the problem. All text will be graphics, because photoshop has no way to know what you want. So the HTML just gets you part way there, if you dont know where to start. But if you know HTML, i can tell you, you will put your fist through your monitor once you try the path of letting PS/G do it for you.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 09:48:31 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions nutballs and arms !

Let's get to work

Idea...

what's up?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript