The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 11:14:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuck Vista. I give  (Read 14816 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:30:16 PM »

So last week I needed to do a reinstall and decided to go for vista, again...

this is the second time, and AGAIN i got bit in the ass.

Apparently Quicktime movies have a problem on Vista with certain combinations of software and apparently hardware. And guess what... I seem to have the lucky combo. I was converting a quicktime movie for a client to flash FLV, and the movie would get stuck about 6 seconds into it. I of course wasted half a day because I assumed the video was corrupted, until i played it in VLC, which had no problem. VLC has its own codecs apparently. Well, the problem is with the actual quicktime codec from apple, under vista.

UGH. verified it on my laptop where everything worked as it should.

so, FUCK VISTA until SP2 at this point.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:47:56 PM »

Even though I pretty much dislike all things Windows now, I just feel bad for those guys because the beast they have created seems so far beyond actual control ... it just seems like the only thing they can do is to keep putting more ketchup on an already bad meatloaf.

Sorry to hear about the waste NBs.

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 09:57:19 PM »

yea. i agree. It really does seem like they are stuck. I realized that if they were to do a completely new OS, from the ground up, then there would be chaos. How can it ever actually move forward, when even people like me, who are early adopters, are not willing to suffer with the lack of compatibility.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:17:02 PM »

or when people like you, that have the capability to understand and make things work, can't. even after hours of tweaking and triage.

Well, you're a PHP & MySQL guy now... ditch the bitch and make the switch!  Smooch

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:07:16 AM »

I can not understand why anyone pays big $$$ to install buggy software.
Install ubuntu kubuntu etc Smiley

Windows does not even have a proper command line.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:33:11 AM »

unfortunately windows is required for a few reasons, but the biggest one is my clients and work. I do a lot of product research for clients, and as such, i need windows. I could have a seperate box just for windows testing, but i already have enough shit in my office. A smaller reason is comfort.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 01:33:21 PM »

update:
so there is a KB article about it, and it actually fixed it. Though I did not get the error, the behavior without the error sounded the same, which is to say, the movie stops playing after a few seconds.

When you try to play a movie file that has an .mov extension by using QuickTime 7 in Windows Vista, you may receive a Stop error message that resembles the following:
STOP 0x0000001A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

for anyone who might find this thread with the same problem go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932094/

they will send you a hotfix which actually solved the problem for me.

Now if they could only hotfix everything else that is broken, that would be great...

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:12:59 PM »

run linux or that apple stuff that perk talks about Smiley
i run ubuntu on an A8JSeries laptop.
I install windows on a vmware, for the few times i may need windows.

vmware work pretty good with duo processor
thedarkness
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 11:19:35 PM »

Perk, do you think this is why Leopard has been delayed....... they are trying to cram in a few more "Vista killers"?

Cheers,
td

"I want to be the guy my dog thinks I am."
 - Unknown
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 11:52:37 PM »

they dont need to cram in anymore vista killers. vista is lipstick on a pig it seems, nothing more.

re: linux. I have considered it, even just doing a dual boot. But the idea of splitting my work across 2 OS's kinda gives me the creeps a bit. my backup habits are bad enough with only 1 OS to worry about...

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 02:42:57 AM »

Perk, do you think this is why Leopard has been delayed....... they are trying to cram in a few more "Vista killers"?
Obviously you have never done affiliate stuff online  ROFLMAO
People buy penis extenders, penis pills.
All shows why democracy does not work. Obviously the same moron who buy the penis pills probably voted for GWB.

OS Warp was like a million times better then Win95.
Backed by IBM to boot.
Because of MS smart advertising IBM could not even give it way.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 09:13:25 AM »

They pulled a lot of the developers to get the iPhone done which, at the time, was a bit behind. All the rumors are "October sometime" and the rumor sites seem to be getting more excited that it's true. And yes, I believe that they had a couple Vista spankings that they wanted to add as well... natch, Steveo at the Keynote, "We don't want to give our friends in Redmond anything else to copy until we're ready"

re: linux. I have considered it, even just doing a dual boot. But the idea of splitting my work across 2 OS's kinda gives me the creeps a bit. my backup habits are bad enough with only 1 OS to worry about...
Man I totally get that... when I go back to my OS history, the move from DOS to Windows was rather painless because 3.1 lived on top of DOS ... so the conversion was easy and somewhat elective. When, in about 2000 I converted from Windows to *n[i|u]x it was like a Herculean thing to control myself to abandon the old standard and move on... and it was not without hiccups. That's why I admire you taking this leap Nuts... new language, new DB on TOP of new OS... it's a helluva jump. That being said, I believe once you get over the hump, the benefits and strength of LAMP will blow you away and you'll start moving exponentially faster.

/p

jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 06:16:49 PM »

Left my red Mac SE in '96 or '97 to fully assimilate into M$ out of the necessity of my job.  Came home to roost in sunny Apple-land roughly 4 years ago with the shiny 12" Titanium Powerbook and that was NOT the Apple I left in the '90's.  Since then, I've fully fired M$ from my house and run Xandros Linux (Debian-based) for my server and do all my development on my 13" MacBook.  The transition was a little sticky at first trying to find a decent IDE, and to try and reign in Gimp for image stuff, but between a few tools and OpenOffice I have no intention of looking backwards.  That said, I work for a Fortune 500 financial firm and all my work there is ColdFusion, Oracle, Flash and the ever re-bootable IIS - you've just gotta love it.

Best of luck in the transition to any who wish to undertake it.  But like a professor I had in college once said, "Growth and change are uncomfortable.  You can do it, but it's just doesn't always feel right."

/me

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 09:13:27 PM »

Left my red Mac SE in '96 or '97 to fully assimilate into M$ out of the necessity of my job. 
Man I forgot about that box... I forgot about my beautiful gloss black one as well until there very moment...

I work for a Fortune 500 financial firm and all my work there is ColdFusion, Oracle, Flash and the ever re-bootable IIS - you've just gotta love it.
Side note: KaptainKrayola here is a CF wunderkind and DBDog is an Oracle wizard. Neither lurk here a lot, but you can PM them if you need something because they are the juice.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 10:16:54 AM »

I didn't find moving to linux hard at all, but then I started using linux when I was about 13 or so...stopped for a while when I discovered a teenage social life, picked back up on computers right before college....Anyway I've always been a big Gentoo and Slackware fan, but my dev box at home runs Ubuntu. Latest version is awesome. If you have an ATI card, Compiz Fusion is the default desktop. Blows. Any. Other. Away. Seriously. If you have an nvidia card or some others, you just have to click a checkbox to enable it. Having an OpenGL hardware accelerated desktop is the fuckin' balls.

hai
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript