The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Google Docs will soon appear in public search results  (Read 1249 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2009, 12:19:46 PM »

Although Chrome is bound by a different privacy agreement, Google Docs is leading the way in privacy violation!  Jesus what about someone's journal, let alone all business related docs.  Yikes!

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/45367?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2009-09-22

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »

This whole line of thinking has creeped me out since the advent of Google Docs. Call me a dinosaur, but I still see my documents as MY DOCUMENTS and I don't like the notion of giving up my privacy in them by default.

We've been trained by a quarter century of PC use to think of our spreadsheets and word processing documents as private unless explicitly made public, not the other way around. Users that link their own documents to their own Web sites obviously want to share those documents. But if you send the URL of your document to a friend and that friend links your document to a crawled Web site such as a blog post, your document could now show up in front of all sorts of people, not just readers of your friend's blog.

Note that last part... and the sort of un-written portion which says that although you can "unpublish" there's no "DO NOT CRAWL" flag. ::shudder::

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »

And you guys are actually surprised?  Vomit Google.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »

this only relates to published docs. You actually have to publish the doc, its not automatic. I have always assumed that a published public doc would be spidered and searchable by the public??? Hell MS and Yahoo could spider them and put them in their search results, just as easily?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript