The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does a paying open source customer look like?  (Read 1413 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »

Nice article: http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/59591?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2010-04-02

Tidbits...

Overall though Charles is a big fan of open source. He thinks it offers a higher quality product than proprietary software. Regardless of whether it is open or not, Charles is going to pay for support, so paying for open source support is not odd to him at all. Frankly, at this point Charles is not 100% sure if the open source supported solution is much cheaper than the non-open solution. He is using the open source solution because he believes it is better. It is better he believes because it is built on open source.

If you get nothing else out of this blog post, get that. People are paying for open source solutions, whether we call them open core with commercial features or not, because they think they are a superior solution

"Who pays for open source software? People who think that they are getting the best solution for the money. They are not being fooled or foolish.  They think the people who would not pay for these solutions are the fools."

"An interesting point about both Alfresco and MuleSoft is that they claim much of their revenue comes from subscriptions. So it is not just the "support model" for commercial open source. They are selling services, expanding channels, doing all of the things that any enterprise software company should be to be successful."

"The old questions about the validity of the business model and whether enterprise class customers would adopt open source solutions seem to have fallen by the wayside."

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:01:51 PM »

Charles, however, having a head like a penis and problems with ED was abandoned by his wife for a Mac loving Metrosexual, with whom she lavished with all her un-requited erotic energy.

Called names and disdained by his children, Charles eventually was left in the rain, holding a cheap, ugly *nix notebook with the words ringing in his ears, "This guy saved a few bucks."

He committed suicide shortly thereafter and was essentially forgotten by all humanity.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

OMFG you're on fire today perks!  Damn funny post.  But of course I must counter.  Wiener-top may fade from our memories as little more than a human dildo, or some crazy Greek pony ride.  But I'll take being a man and solitude over this chunk of roadkill any day:

* Butt nugget.png (12.08 KB, 166x204 - viewed 160 times.)

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:15:21 PM »

"Weiner top"  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO Enjoying a bit of Irish Whiskey at the moment that really made that one work.

Happy fking Friday ITTO Smiley

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »

Same to you perks Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript