The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 15, 2019, 07:06:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VPS & dedicated server prices & bargains  (Read 1681 times)
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:38:14 AM »

What VPS & dedicated server companies you guys are using? I have currently VPS from Slicehost but their cheapest 256MB package is getting too small and I'm not too happy about other specs of the package either. So can anybody give me a hint where to find the best deal for VPS? I'm looking to use it for spidering and fetching & processing HTML pages. My code is quite crappy so the more memory the better and bandwidth & storage are important as well.. I'm not asking much Wink

Why I'm asking instead of googling myself? Well I have noticed that when it comes to servers and finding good deals, nothing beats recommendations from the people who actually deal with them instead of reading hundreds of company websites. And usually people who use these kind of services are constantly looking for better service with better specs so 1000 eyes see more than my own 2 eyes.

So any tips or hints for VPS or dedicated servers?

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:08:35 AM »

This board has the unfortunate handicap of being populated with high-rollers. I tend to try to find deals, but also reliability is a big factor for me. When shit doesn't work, I need someone I can yell at.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »

Check out these guys:  http://www.rackspacecloud.com/

Used to be mosso. They have two services.
Depending on how you use it, you can be really cheap or really overpriced...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:51 PM »

vsloathe, yeah, true about high-rollers.

nutballs.. that seems very good option for certain type of use, just like you said.

I think I'm going to do some price hunting.. maybe write price checker script while I'm at it.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:13:06 AM »

Hey Kurdt,

Slicehost is very good, I use them for my VPS, but yet their prices aren't reflecting current market rates anymore.  I have not yet used these folks, but I intend to next.  Also totally unmanaged, but their prices are unbeatable, and it looks like they actually run a legit operation.

http://fsckvps.com/

$9.95 for a 512mb VPS is beyond cheap!  And if you have any public open source work to show them, you can get an additional 20% off.

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript