The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 11:51:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtualized piracy  (Read 3146 times)
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »

Ok, here's an idea I had today. Now if everything is moving to the cloud, isn't piracy going to follow? I mean that soon it's starting to be cheaper to rent a server than buy your own desktop computer. So with all the work people are putting in x86 OSX or whatever the name is for it, shouldn't it be possible to install it to server as standalone OS with remote accessibility. When you have ADSL line at home and your server is fast, there's very little difference between using computer via VNC or similar technology and using it locally. Of course videos and games might not work BUT the big takeaway is that if you can install OS to remote server you can also install software there. So how do you bust a pirate if his computer doesn't have any pirated software? Somehow you would need to know IP of the server and follow that lead. And if there's a proxy between the two, it gets even more complicated.

My crystal ball sees a decline in software license sales when there's very small possibility of getting caught even in corporate level...

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »

nah. its a ways off. plus most folks dont pirate. Not for fear of getting caught, or ethics, but because they just dont know how.

The other thing is that the experience is not quite the same. its a bit sluggish and such. So if you are coming from a desktop, it will feel shitty. noobs however wouldnt know the difference.

It also makes it easier for software agencies to enforce in general. They no longer monitor individuals, but instead they monitor large providers of cloud-desks. Its of course much easier to monitor 10000 prspective pirates, if they are all in the same room...

Of course, my software virtualization service is better than everyone elses out there, so this is all moot, and I will own the internets in about 9 months time.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:13:54 AM »

I thought we were targeting 6 months...? What's the holdup?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »

nah. its a ways off. plus most folks dont pirate. Not for fear of getting caught, or ethics, but because they just dont know how.
Well I was kinda talking about those who know how to Smiley Normal people usually don't also buy expensive software licenses either. I'm talking about corporate software here.

The other thing is that the experience is not quite the same. its a bit sluggish and such. So if you are coming from a desktop, it will feel shitty. noobs however wouldnt know the difference.
Isn't this just a question of connection quality and server power? I don't see how it can be more sluggish if same or more resources are available?

It also makes it easier for software agencies to enforce in general. They no longer monitor individuals, but instead they monitor large providers of cloud-desks. Its of course much easier to monitor 10000 prspective pirates, if they are all in the same room...
I partly agree but there's A LOT of server providers around the world...

Of course, my software virtualization service is better than everyone elses out there, so this is all moot, and I will own the internets in about 9 months time.
Looking forward to that Wink

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:51:40 AM »

I think it is fair to say that virtualization offers some intersting new ways to avoid paying license fees. But piracy, writ large, is not about that kind of client. The worst form of piracy is the Chinese CD duplicator, not the person trying to avoid paying for 1000 windows licenses in a corporation. Companies like that are both afraid of the Microsoft hammer and beholden to their bookkeepers, looking to make sure that in the course of selling a business, you can pass due diligence.

So I'd argue that the amount of people that want to avoid paying for a license will remain somewhat static ... It will just be more difficult for the licensors to see how much of it occurs. To your point Kurdt, "[sic] there are those that know how..." well, there are.

But not that many of us...  Wink
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:53:30 AM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:32:45 AM »

Ok, here's an idea I had today. Now if everything is moving to the cloud, isn't piracy going to follow? I mean that soon it's starting to be cheaper to rent a server than buy your own desktop computer. So with all the work people are putting in x86 OSX or whatever the name is for it, shouldn't it be possible to install it to server as standalone OS with remote accessibility. When you have ADSL line at home and your server is fast, there's very little difference between using computer via VNC or similar technology and using it locally. Of course videos and games might not work BUT the big takeaway is that if you can install OS to remote server you can also install software there. So how do you bust a pirate if his computer doesn't have any pirated software? Somehow you would need to know IP of the server and follow that lead. And if there's a proxy between the two, it gets even more complicated.

My crystal ball sees a decline in software license sales when there's very small possibility of getting caught even in corporate level...

meh

1st off, OSx86 is still a hobbyist's scene. It is HARD to get OSX to run on non-Apple hardware, even if you buy every single piece from the "Recommended Hardware" list for OSX86. We're talking kernel hacking and driver patching. It was one of the toughest challenges I've had all year from a development perspective to get OSX running on a non-Apple machine, if that's any indication.

Secondly, as you said the performance running an OS virtualized, especially an OS with as much eye candy frippery as OSX, is balls-slow. That's even with hardware passthrough layers and extended instruction sets like VTI, V-x, etc.

Third, OSX won't be managed by any of the mature hypervisors if you want a truly "cloud" virtualized solution. Sun's Baremetal Hypervisor isn't going to support it, Xen's right out...what will you use as a base kernel on your server? This is, I think, by design.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »

I thought we were targeting 6 months...? What's the holdup?

lol ok 6 months

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »

Ok, I'm convinced. When virtualized piracy I described could be viable, we have probably already abandoned desktop as primary computer anyway.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »

IMO, software should not have owners.  The cloud makes it so software does what it really is supposed to do: provide services.  Nobody wants to own software, they just want to be able to control how and when they get to use its services.  It's a completely outdated concept (just like "owning" music Roll Eyes) that's driven by the fear of having it "taken away" somehow.

You want to see movies, hear music, and use software.  Paying for this in one form or another is part of the deal, even if Sony gets your dime for playing a cassette tape recording of My Girl Wants To Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy.  This interestingly spells the eventual demise of those pesky pirates, as well as causing Steve Jobs to become violently incontinent at mealtime.  When software is truly a service forevermore, those "owning," "selling," and "pirating" software will look like irrelevant, back-alley, 8-track tape dealers

Sing along!  Internet killed the video star...

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 08:06:21 PM »

Ahem. Do you have any other tunes in your playlist?  ROFLMAO

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »

Ahem. Do you have any other tunes in your playlist?  ROFLMAO

More than I can count.  However, many will die forever when my iPod finally fails me.  Then I'll have to again repurchase my right to hear music I've already purchased the right to hear, or go underground and become a "pirate" they can incarcerate and/or financially cripple at will.  Fun choice.  Hey... wait a minute!  I think they actually like it when this happens  D'oh!  I'm sure they love you though Wink

But all of this lives on a sinking ship 

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 09:22:19 PM »

although i assume you are being a smart ass. I will point out that your account has the music rights, not your ipod.
just sayin.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 09:32:26 PM »

For the few songs I purchased through iTunes.  For everything else I either pay literally hundreds of dollars to have a professional service extract crap from my iPod or repurchase the music.  Well, I could try the extraction myself but if I was successful I would no longer have a strong argument  Wink

It's not really about me.  It's more about the majority who have fewer options and far less resources to assist them.  My situation is more one of principle inflamed by frustrating inconvenience.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 10:11:09 PM »

How to copy your songs from your iPod to your PC: http://lifehacker.com/105256/how-to-copy-songs-from-your-ipod-to-your-pc

This site at Apple describes how to use your iPod to move music from one computer to another: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1329

If the unwashed masses cannot even figure out how to get stuff from their 'pod when their computer dies, or they are in your situation, they lose there stuff.

Nuts is right BTW - if you bought the music (and locked yourself into the dreaded Apple DRM and iTunes LOL) then it's not a problem. If it's scraped or got it yourself in other ways, then I'm sure it would be assumed that if you know how to get it, you know how to move it.

I think it's important to recognize that ANY PROGRAM a bonehead has their music in will be a PIA to get back out, if in fact, they are a bonehead.

Sinking ship? LOL - I find that oddly optimistic for you. Wrong, but optimistic.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript