The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:02:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: University geeks: help me with my spam research  (Read 1394 times)
Kovacs
Rookie

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2010, 03:06:41 PM »

So I'm back at university for one last semester and a pleasant side-result is that I have unrestricted full-text journal access for the next 3 months. 

Lately I've been combing through the Web of Science database for SEO / spam related papers, which is one of the main general science databases  There is a TON of good theoretical info on there about such diverse topics as spam detection and captcha breaking.  Of course it's all theoretical stuff written by academics, and there's no way to know if their strategies have been or will be implemented by the SEs, but it gives you a good indication of where spam research is going.  It's really changing the way I think about SEO.

I'm calling on you guys to give me some tips of what to look up!  I've only got a limited time with free journal access and I want to really extract as much info as I can.  I'm looking for:

* specific science databases to search, other than Web Of Science.
* good SEO / spam / captcha / information retrieval related journals to focus on specifically.
* specific search phrases to use! So far I've been looking up stuff like "break captcha", "link spam", "spam detection" etc but there must be a ton of more computer science and maths-oriented stuff that I'm not aware of.

Of course I am more than willing to share all the info I pillage with responsible members of the community.  If there are any search queries, topics or particular papers you guys would like me to look up, let me know.  Just remember where it came from!

No links in signatures please
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »

See if there's anything in there about "bad neighborhood".

Wink

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
Kovacs
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:42 PM »

Unfortunately there's not that much applicable stuff about "bad neighbourhoods."  They probably have some formal name in information retrieval circles that I need to be searching for...

Here's a random smattering of papers which you guys may or may not find interesting.

http://rapidshare.com/files/411513637/spam.tar.bz2

No links in signatures please
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript