The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu, OSX and to your point VS ...  (Read 2117 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:57:44 PM »

"Does Ubuntu capture the Mac vision and spirit than Mac OSX?"

http://theappleblog.com/2010/05/06/does-ubuntu-capture-the-mac-vision-and-spirit-better-than-mac-os-x/

Love it. The pressure's on.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:17:23 AM »

Interesting article...with an amazing amount of vitriol for Snow Leopard considering the source LOL

hai
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:20:36 AM »

This is pretty cool too:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/music-store-lynx

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:02:07 AM »

Yeah that is hip. The so-called compassionate capitalism model is a nifty way to do biz.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »

I switched back to windoze.
Mainly because of app development, take too long to compile in a VM.

About the only bitch i had about MacOSX was it was over rated.
Also the binaries for apps where like 3000 years old. So u ended up compiling ur own, which is a big waste of time.
Ubuntu has a good console, but u can install ur own console of windoze.

As long as the OS is stable and does not crash, it does not really make any difference.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:13:19 AM »

FWIW:

The upgrade process from 9.04->9.10->10.04 took ~2 hours (on a pretty fast connection) and was relatively actually completely painless. Nothing broke, amazingly. Even Service Pack 2 for Windows XP broke stuff.

hai
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 08:24:59 AM »

Nothing broke, amazingly. Even Service Pack 2 for Windows XP broke stuff.
Wouldn't be very unixy if something broke... For the same reason you really can't compare Windows and Linux/Unix. If you follow basic principles of Unix programming, you should have relatively easy-to-update software in your hands. Compared to hack-n-glue Windows.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »

Nice article perks Smiley

10.04 fresh install in Toshiba Qosmio laptop was fast and flawless.  Wireless connected immediately and everything else worked without hacking.  This was 10.04 Beta1, updates to current have been smooth as well.

But this is quite an interesting article considering the source, as vs pointed out.  If Apple follows its course of market domination first, all else later, and the deepest wells of monster revenue lie in the land of mobile, then us programmers who need our keys to support our craft will probably begin migrating back to Windows or Ubuntu.

Then again, Apple hasn't left its primary platform of PC production since its inception so I wouldn't hold my breath 

But I just love the eternally misunderstood and infinitely effective straw man approach to logic we the sheeple see no problem with:

A decade ago I reported on another user-friendly Linux GUI project by a startup called Eazel (iStrawMan Grin).  The Eazel team was spearheaded by a who’s who of Macintosh alumni. Staffers included Mike Boich — former head of Macintosh evangelism for Apple Computer; Andy Hertzfeld — lead programmer for original Mac OS development in the early ’80s who wrote much of the code that became the iconic Macintosh GUI; Susan Kare who did the graphic design for the original Mac OS Finder icons; Darin Adler who had been technical lead for System 7 development at Apple; and Bud Tribble — first software architect on the Macintosh project and manager of the original Macintosh software team. Mac people all from way back. Arguably, that bunch had a more purebred Macintosh “pedigree” than the folks who were developing OS X at the time. (iStrawMan is exalted to formidable foe status  Need Help)

I suggested back in 2000 that there was a case to be made that the thinking behind Eazel may well be truer to the original Mac essence than OS X itself (iStrawMan license purchased for this device, linking the two inseparably deep in the recesses of your reptilian brain  ). I wondered whether OS X would retain enough distinct classic Mac-ness, that je ne sais quois that made the Mac a Mac for many of us veteran users, to sustain the dogged loyalty that had characterized the Mac community through thick and thin for 16 years up to that point? Or would it be so NeXT like, or much, much worse, Windows-like, that hitherto Mac loyalists might be tempted to stray into other pastures? As it turned out, the Eazel project eventually withered on the vine, as it were, and we Mac OS fans adapted to OS X, which turned out to be a very decent computing environment,

iStrawMan conquered.  Stay calm everyone and buy another Mac  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript